October 2007 UK Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #46 of 244
All i can say is, WOW.

This was such a great idea & i think it got pulled off very nicely.
A big thanks goes out to Josh on my behalf. What a genuinely great guy.

I came away from the meet happy. Partly from the experience but partly from my ears decidings. They decided that all the top tier cans were not my cup of tea. Admittedly i didn't spend much time with any but the R-10, L3000 & even the K1000 didn't come anywhere close to the scoring on the mental goal post i'd set for them all (This pleased my girlfriend very much)

What i did come away impressed with was the HD 650s. I tried these in a variety of source amp combos (I barged round the room sticking my thin cold stick into any available hole) & each time i was pleased.
The killer for me though was the Single Power amp. This thing is a beast & i love it. It has so much power & the sounds that were coming out of it (connected to the G08) put a smile on my face from ear to ear every time.

I really appreciate having had the chance to listen to all the amazing gear that people took & of course meet all the wonderful proud owners of it all.

I eagerly wait next years Northampton meet (he he)

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #47 of 244
we can meet one day at one of the retailers shop in edinburgh or glenrothes
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #48 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we can meet one day at one of the retailers shop in edinburgh or glenrothes
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely! I didn't get a good enough listen of your W5000 and didn't even plug a single headphone into your WA4!
redface.gif
Retailer's shop? I have a flat which a few could crash
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #49 of 244
Milkpowder - I think your impressions are very valid and if the way the L3000 sounds doesn't take you, then extended listening or even ownership might not change this.

Expectation drives the L3000 to earth-shattering heights and I'll be the first to admit they don't deserve that reputation.

On the K1000, I also noticed that with the chinese tuby driving them, I couldn't get a good sound out of them when I extended the wings out. I do know that when I am driving them with my 300B monoblock amp, the opposite is often true - I have the wings out as far as they can go.

From what I can remember, the sound is even more forceful and dynamic when amped in this way. The music becomes truly holographic, almost solid. Absolute brute force wall of sound, with that liquid 300B tone. Quite fatiguing though out of a EMU 1212m
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #51 of 244
Here's my top 3 headphones from the meet:

1) K-1000 - mainly for the imaging and the strange effect they had on Duggeh
smily_headphones1.gif

2) Omega 2 - because they're so smooth, pleasant to hear, and have such beautiful treble.
3) HE60 - like a cross between the 650 and Omega 2. Thanks milkpowder for bringing it!

Like mostly everyone else I was impressed by the Solo, especially with 650s. Also the Voyager is like a portable Solo and is an absolutely excellent portable amp which blows my MOVE away.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #52 of 244
Right guys...

I'll uploading the photos on to Flickr...

More specifically...:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrita

I'll be doing this in batches as Flickr doesn't let me upload more then 100mb per month...

I found this out AFTER uploading
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, with time they'll all be there...

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #53 of 244
did You change size to 100kb for example ? - that would be like 1000 pics if so

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #54 of 244
and I think that everybody ove You a big one for taking the efort with this pics - thanks !!!

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #55 of 244
I know I could squeeze tons of pics in if I changed size/resolution...

But to be honest I hate doing that...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd rather have it in original size and resolution, just brings more details to things, and after all our hobby is about detail
wink.gif

J

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #56 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my top 3 headphones from the meet:

1) K-1000 - mainly for the imaging and the strange effect they had on Duggeh
smily_headphones1.gif

2) Omega 2 - because they're so smooth, pleasant to hear, and have such beautiful treble.
3) HE60 - like a cross between the 650 and Omega 2. Thanks milkpowder for bringing it!

Like mostly everyone else I was impressed by the Solo, especially with 650s. Also the Voyager is like a portable Solo and is an absolutely excellent portable amp which blows my MOVE away.

And guess what, we only got a glimpse of what the three of them are really capable of!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Milkpowder - I think your impressions are very valid and if the way the L3000 sounds doesn't take you, then extended listening or even ownership might not change this.

Expectation drives the L3000 to earth-shattering heights and I'll be the first to admit they don't deserve that reputation.

On the K1000, I also noticed that with the chinese tuby driving them, I couldn't get a good sound out of them when I extended the wings out. I do know that when I am driving them with my 300B monoblock amp, the opposite is often true - I have the wings out as far as they can go.

From what I can remember, the sound is even more forceful and dynamic when amped in this way. The music becomes truly holographic, almost solid. Absolute brute force wall of sound, with that liquid 300B tone. Quite fatiguing though out of a EMU 1212m
tongue.gif

Re L3000:
I'm determined to think that I will be able to appreciate the L3000. It wasn't like they sounded horrible or anything. If it takes ownership to get used them, then so be it!
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Re K1000:
Interesting point about amping and its effect on the position of the wings. It must be said that the Chinese tubey still managed to get a very decent sound out of the K1000, granted I haven't heard the K1000 through 300B monoblocks. Nevertheless, it was a great introduction. Maybe next time you can bring those monoblocks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnerH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right guys...

I'll uploading the photos on to Flickr...

More specifically...:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrita

I'll be doing this in batches as Flickr doesn't let me upload more then 100mb per month...

I found this out AFTER uploading
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, with time they'll all be there...

Awesome pictures. Thanks for uploading!

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #58 of 244
A brief guide, with most of the middle missed out. Apologies for missing people out/getting names wrong. Feel free to post corrections.

_DSC0038.jpg

Progenitor & Senny-ftw do a spot of early testing.

_DSC0041.jpg

Piotr Z carefully sets his equipment up neatly (irony later).

_DSC0042.jpg

MrJoshua & JohnerH discuss being one of the first to set their kit up and how great that feels....

_DSC0043.jpg

...whilst the frenzy of setting up continues.

_DSC0045.jpg

R10's out of an IPod-as-source FTL (I'll do better next time!!!!)

_DSC0046.jpg

What is a Head-Fi meet without a DIY'er? Well done on getting your Millet Max completed in time adfinni.

_DSC00470001.jpg

The orgy of headphone listening commences on the "cool" table.

_DSC00480001.jpg

MrJoshua patiently awaits his turn on the fabled K1000.

_DSC00490001.jpg

Duggeh's very own little circle of audio nirvana continues unabated.

_DSC00500001.jpg

The "cool" table begins to look a little crowded.

_DSC00510001.jpg

Critical mass is reached.

_DSC00520001.jpg

A brief respite.

Many thanks for a great time guys :)

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #59 of 244
Great pics and even some good ones of me! I notice as well that the Squeezebox hasn't been mentioned. I forget whose it was but that was a really neat little device and I'm going to pick one up.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #60 of 244
I had no idea that the headphone stand, designed and for use with the jecklin floats, had been employed for use with all of those other headphones. Some of them look a little stretched over it, eek.

Just got everything unpacked and setup again, good to be back and up and running, but im absolutely shattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back