Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #32 of 244
Someone took a lot of photos. There's also a group picture too
biggrin.gif
I'm sure he'll post them.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologise if what I have heard is completely different to what maybe should've been heard, but with my pair of ears on that day, associated gear and meet conditions, I stand by my comments.

No, no need to apologize (it's spelled with a "z"!
tongue.gif
), and yes, I support your comments no matter if I agree or not.

This is your meet thread, go ahead and say what you think, the rest of us will try to stay out of it.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #34 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no need to apologize (it's spelled with a "z"!
tongue.gif
), and yes, I support your comments no matter if I agree or not.

This is your meet thread, go ahead and say what you think, the rest of us will try to stay out of it.

I agree about apologizing. Sometimes things just sound differently than others with no apparent reasons. At least it does for me.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #35 of 244
Great meet, and fantastic meeting you boys. Also had a great time in the bar afterwards with about 7 of us staying for drinkies.

And a special thanks to josh for organising it all. Right, my impressions will follow but are a little controversial, but here are some taster pics from my crappy point and shoot pentax.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
imgp0050ev2.jpg

imgp0051ev1.jpg

imgp0053bv2.jpg

my.php

imgp0063yc2.jpg

imgp0065ie1.jpg

imgp0068oq0.jpg

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 244
Wow! Lots of great gear at your meeting.
Nice pictures and initial write-ups as well. But give us more...
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #37 of 244
Quote:

When I listened to the L3000, R10, K1000 and W5000, I used tracks which I am very familiar with. I have to confess that I did not get gobbles of time to compare them. Meet impressions certainly aren't the final word. Maybe I'm spoiled by the resolution, quickness and refinement of the HE60, but only the R10 and maybe the K1000 superseded the HE60 in those three respects. The L3000 certainly had deeper, more powerful bass. The R10's bass is deep, but not very impactful. I appreciate that the W5000 is closer to the K1000, HE60, etc and the L3000 to the O2, HD6x0. That is what I heard too.

I have corrections to make to a comment which I should've probably put more thought into.
"The W5000 was even more of a disappointment. I've read about how it's supposed to sound crisp, detailed and refined, but boy oh boy was that the exact opposite of what I heard."

First of all, I will retract my very last phrase. OK, it wasn't exactly opposite. It was crisp, pretty resolving and refined, but compared to what? Here in my hands were some of the best headphones ever made! I have less issue with the L3000 than the W5000. Does anyone find the W5000 coloured (especially the midrange)? Instruments lose their real-life timbre and micro-details are left out. Maybe my ears just haven't adjusted to the sound signature as I thought the K1000, R10 and HE60 are much more faithful to the recording.

Nice impression. The L3000 will not wow you right away. It takes time for anyone, even me, to appreicate them. As for the R10, they can match the HE90 in terms of resolution and exceed the HE-90 in midrange, and width of soundstage, but fall short in terms of refinement for the HE90. I agree with you though that the K1000 can go a long way and is a bargain in a highend headphone market.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #38 of 244
Guys I'm a bit of a nood....(in soooo many things..)

What a good web host for pictures? Something people can leave they're comments without having to register...

J

P.S.: Tons of pictures to follow...

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #39 of 244
Firstly, thanks again to Josh for taking the time and trouble to get this organised and off the ground.

Thanks also to everyone who came and made the effort to lug their equipment over huge distances. I really appreciated hearing the wide variety of equipment on offer.

To be honest, I didn't expect a lot of love for the L3000. They are a good headphone, but not something that immediately impresses. They are built for distance and comfort - not flashiness or speed. You'd have to step up to R10's or a very good open dynamic/electrostatic to do better I feel, neither of which will do if you require closed headphones.

I have to admit that I've come very close to selling them a number of times, until I received my Singlepower Extreme Platinum, which is the best I've heard the L3000 sound (though the DHA3000 gives it a very close run for the money).

I've asked Mikhail which tubes he reckons will make the Extreme sound good with the L3000 and it seems that sticking a Bendix 2C51 or 6SN7 and a pair of Bendix 6080 output tubes will achieve the best sound out of them.

The tubes currently in the Extreme are Sylvania 'Chrome Dome' 6SN7 GTA and a pair of Raytheon 6528 outputs which surprised Mikhail when I told him I had these as he said they were 'pretty good' in that understated way of his.

To me, many of the headphones in the meet sounded good, so that in the end it seemed to boil down to preferences in flavour and nuance. Perfectly liveable and enjoyable sound was being achieved out of a number of modest amp and sources.

I liked the Senn 650's quite a lot and they sounded really good out of a variety of amps.

The electrostats were excellent with the Omega 2 and the HE60 particular highlights.

I tend to not like Grados, so the 325i and the HF-1 surprised me with how they sounded.

The TakeT weren't as good as the electrostats, being driven by the soundcard source. The gap lessened when the Cyrus CD player was used and I liked them more, though I still preferred the Omega. The differences to me seem mainly to do with balance and soundstage - the TakeT are more upfront and peaky. I think a bit more tweaking is required before I'm going to be tempted.

The pair of R10's I brought to the meet weren't as bassy or balanced as my newer pair. The foam rings inside them have basically disintegrated and I feel the drivers aren't as well matched or become less so. The soundstaging and imaging isn't as pin-sharp.

Again, I'm not surprised that they have met the response they have and again I feel they are quite amp dependent to sound their best.

As I've said to those who attended, the next time one of these things happen, I'll make more of an effort on source.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #40 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnerH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys I'm a bit of a nood....(in soooo many things..)

What a good web host for pictures? Something people can leave they're comments without having to register...

J

P.S.: Tons of pictures to follow...

I find www.photobucket.com to be a pretty good site if you are okay with the 800x600 resolution limit.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #41 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find www.photobucket.com to be a pretty good site if you are okay with the 800x600 resolution limit.

You guys tell me... I've got 10 mega pixel shots...so I'd have to revamp all of them before posting...

It would take me a bit...

J

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 244
try to find nsonic JPGCompresor - You can convert with it to any resolution/size You desire - with almonst no lost for quality - it is freeware

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #44 of 244
Flicker would get my vote over Photobucket (I can't view Photobucket at work as it pops up gambling sites in the background).

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #45 of 244
I use FastStone Photo Resizer. It can do batch, cross-format, bicubic resampling/resizing/renaming. Superb tool IMO.

Imageshack.us is also good, but I'm not sure commenting is possible.

I wonder when my next opportunity to listen to the K1000, R10 and L3000 is. Judging by the positive feedback the latter has received, I feel I may have written it off prematurely.

If anything, I've come away from the meet pleased with how the HE60 sounded compared to other heavyweights. The only headphone I would decisively take over the HE60 is probably the R10 driven by the spectacular G08-SP Extreme setup. I could go on forever about how airy, three dimensional, fast, detailed and life-like it sounded. (Lots of people didn't like it because there were quite a few bass-heads amongst us
wink.gif
Guys, I'll let you listen to the Darth Beyers and E500 instead. Let me have the R10.
tongue.gif
)I would probably settle swapping for the K1000 too. It is certainly the best high-end headphone that doesn't come with an insane pricetag.
biggrin.gif
The K701 in stock or ALO modded form does not come close to what the K1000 offered. Fing, they were in superb condition too! Light on the head and pretty comfy with the temporal pads fully extended.

I was just wondering why no one thought of driving the K1000 from the Extreme? Wouldn't that have been better than using the Chinese tubey?

Duggeh, when you had the G08, did you manage to try the K1000 with it?

Note that I haven't commented on the O2 simply because I didn't listen to it at all. Duggeh lives an hours' train journey away from me so I figured I could leave it until some other time
biggrin.gif
I've heard it twice before anyway. Everyone I spoke to who had listened to it thought it was incredible. I heard "silky smooth", "euphoric" and "laid back" being mentioned quite a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back