Ochre - "National Ignition" just released
Jan 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
http://ochre.bandcamp.com/album/national-ignition

Fantastic new album from Christopher Leary.  If you've never heard any of his other material, I suggest you do.  He literally creates all his music on his computer.  He has a keyboard controller but rarely uses it.  It takes quite the mind to pull off the kind of interesting music he can without using much more than a mouse and software.

The FLAC download is in 24/48 by the way.

He also has his own mastering company and is quite good at it.  All his music has incredible sonic fidelity.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
He literally creates all his music on his computer.  He has a keyboard controller but rarely uses it.  It takes quite the mind to pull off the kind of interesting music he can without using much more than a mouse and software.

Really? Really? He'll be around about as long as it takes 'till the next youngster plugs into a Marshall stack... 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Just downloaded this in FLAC and it is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous arrangements, really creative use of soundstage and frequency separation that is so clean, he really knows his stuff. Head and shoulders above a lot of the bedroom-crafted dross that passes for electronic music these days.

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Just downloaded this in FLAC and it is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous arrangements, really creative use of soundstage and frequency separation that is so clean, he really knows his stuff. Head and shoulders above a lot of the bedroom-crafted dross that passes for electronic music these days.

Glad you love it, and you should let him know on his Facebook page.  He really appreciates the compliments.  Also, download his older stuff, some of which is even better than the new album.  "Like Dust Of The Balance", "Midsummer Nice Dream", and "Lemodie" are excellent albums.  For awhile he had a "name your own price" on them, and that might still be the case, I'm not sure.  They were remastered in 24 bit.  And I think I was mistaken earlier, they are not in 24/48, they are in 24/44.1.  But they sound phenomenal nonetheless.  His last album, Early Learning, was actually mastered by someone else because he didn't have the time to do it, but wasn't one of his best anyway.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
No, I don't much care for trance. I've already got all of Ochre's other recordings, I've been a fan for a long time.

I wouldn't really call Slusnik Luna trance.  It's certainly not IDM/electronica like Ochre, but not trance.  It's more orchestral/experimental electronica.

Which is your favorite Ochre album?

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 11
A Midsummer Nice Dream has the greatest of all Ochre tunes "REM Sleep Research". Everything I listened to of Slusnik Luna on YT sounded trance/house oriented, not my thing.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Wow, I just popped in to this forum and saw this, it's great to see his stuff getting out there. I've been a fan for a while.

This is probably one of my favorite albums of his. I liked it a ton. Although Vegas and Bluebottles are still my favorite tracks.

I figured he played that harp or whatever it is that makes it into a lot of his music, that's all just from a synth?

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
A Midsummer Nice Dream has the greatest of all Ochre tunes "REM Sleep Research". Everything I listened to of Slusnik Luna on YT sounded trance/house oriented, not my thing.

I love REM Sleep Research as well.  Great track.  So is Lifewish.  So is Sticklebrick Symphony.

Quote:
Wow, I just popped in to this forum and saw this, it's great to see his stuff getting out there. I've been a fan for a while.

This is probably one of my favorite albums of his. I liked it a ton. Although Vegas and Bluebottles are still my favorite tracks.

I figured he played that harp or whatever it is that makes it into a lot of his music, that's all just from a synth?

Yep, all synth.  Only one track on his new album, the 2nd track, which I think is the best one, actually has real guitar in it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back