Occassional problem detecting SACDs
Mar 13, 2007 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mikesul

Head-Fier
My Denon 1920 sometimes does not detect that the disk is an SACD. I can find nothing in the manual or on line about the problem. Has anyone else had this problem withe a player not recognizing that the disk is an SACD? It just plays it as a cd. It does detect most SACDs but it happens often enough that I no longer think it is a problem with the disks.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Denon 1920 sometimes does not detect that the disk is an SACD. I can find nothing in the manual or on line about the problem. Has anyone else had this problem withe a player not recognizing that the disk is an SACD? It just plays it as a cd. It does detect most SACDs but it happens often enough that I no longer think it is a problem with the disks.

Unless they are hybrids isnt there just a SACD layer anyway ?

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Go to the Denon website and enter the serial number for your model. If there is a firmware update, then follow the instructions very carefully and perform a field firmware update. This should correct the problem immediately.

My Denon DVD 5910ci required a firmware update in order to fix a few bugs with select DVDs and CDs.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to the Denon website and enter the serial number for your model. If there is a firmware update, then follow the instructions very carefully and perform a field firmware update. This should correct the problem immediately.

My Denon DVD 5910ci required a firmware update in order to fix a few bugs with select DVDs and CDs.

The site has no updates for my firmware. The problem is with the hybrid disks but not all of them and I can usually get it to recognize the SACD layer by repeatedly reloading the disk. I have been thinking the lens might need cleaning.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 16
Don't buy one of those Memorex CD/DVD lens cleaners at a local store. They will ruin the delicate lense of your transport unit. A much safer alternative is to simply buy a can of compressed dry air. Open up the lid on the unit and blow out any accumulated dust or dirt (you'd be surprised what can get in there). Then, try to open the tray for the transport unit and blow some air inside. Make sure the power to the unit is turned off if at all possible while you are doing this and try to ground yourself so no static electricity is on your body as a precaution. Power the unit back on and download the user manual in your language. Do a reset so you can initialize the unit to the default factory settings. Then, try your single layer or hybrid SA-CDs. Try to report back with your results.

The next step is to contact Denon NJ USA technical support. I hope you bought yours from an authorized e-tailer. Otherwise, I can give you the address to Affiliated Electronics in Hillsboro NJ. They do great repair work at nominal charges and pronto fast.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 16
This is why I have stayed away from buying SA-CDs and DVD-Audio discs. There are too many complications that could and will go wrong with all of these different universal players on the market. CD rules.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 16
It could just be a dirty lens. SACD uses a different pickup than Red Book (or DVD), so it could just be that.

If you're brave, open the unit up and find the transport. Go to your local camera store and get some lens cleaning solution and some swabs/wipes for cleaning camera lenses. You should be able to get them for under $10. Use that to clean the lenses- there's no chance of hurting them since the camera stuff is the best available. That should help. Also, the lens cleaning stuff is fantastic for cleaning eyeglasses, if you wear them.

Welly- you don't know what you're missing! SACD is wonderful, give it a listen some time.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Denon 1920 sometimes does not detect that the disk is an SACD.

What happens if you just eject & reenter the disc in such instances? My 2900 very rarely gives me a "no disc" display with hybrids, letting it try again or turning the player off and back on will always resolve that.

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 16
Denon transports do this kind of problem regardless of which model you buy. I had the Denon DVD 2900 and it would give me the same error message that no disc was found and everything would read off 0 : 0 : 0 on the LED display. The Denon DVD 5910ci has a different transport mechanism that is a slight improvement in parts quality, but I still get this error message with Orange Book CD-Rs and even Red Book CDs.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

This is why I have stayed away from buying SA-CDs and DVD-Audio discs. There are too many complications that could and will go wrong with all of these different universal players on the market. CD rules.

I don't agree with this. I don't have problems with my SACD player, and SACDs sound better than CDs.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Mikesul:

I hope you get your problem resolved soon.

Others:

SA-CD sounds too soft with not enough rhythmic drive and the trebles are a bit fuzzy and unfocused to my ears. CD, or rather PCM, still sounds much better to my ears. Again, I grew up with the CD sound so that's what I base my judgments off of. An opinion only!

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens if you just eject & reenter the disc in such instances? My 2900 very rarely gives me a "no disc" display with hybrids, letting it try again or turning the player off and back on will always resolve that.

Yes, that will usually cure the problem. It sometimes takes several ejects. Often, the fastest way to get the SACD layer is just to turn off the machine and start it again. I am beginning to think that it may be sloppy pressing on the disks since most of my SACD disks do not have the problem. I do not think it has happened even once with the several Living Stereo releases I have.

There is no question that it is worth the trouble. Even two channel SACD is a huge improvement over CD audio.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Again, I grew up with the CD sound so that's what I base my judgments off of.

That must be it. SACD is the most analog sounding digital consumer medium, just without the skip, crackle and pop. But if you were "conditioned" with digital from the beginning that's a totally different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back