OCC versus Silver and OCC
May 9, 2014 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jeff Y

1000+ Head-Fier
Now, please don't say that cables are an illusion and there is no reason to spend so much money on these things cause I trust my ears. I plan to buy the Wireworld Eclipse 7 or the Silver Eclipse 7. The Eclipse 7 is basically the very best OCC(copper) cable out of the Wireworld range and the Silver Eclipse is the one with silver wrapped around the OCC(copper).
Which would be better? Also, one thing I wonder is, if my audio equipment such as my amp has wires and cables inside it that's not silver or something nice, is it much use to buy something like silver cables?
Thanks for the help.

May 9, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Cables are not an illusion.

The idea that properly designed and manufactured cables exhibits audible differences most certainly is.

And, as you point out - the wiring inside your equipment is outside of your control (unless you're handy with a soldering iron).

The resistance, inductance and capacitance of any reasonable audio cable ensures any effect large enough to be audible is way outside the audible spectrum - even for bats...

May 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Check out the stuff from cabledyne.com...I sold my silver eclipse 6 for one of their cables.

May 9, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Check out the stuff from cabledyne.com...I sold my silver eclipse 6 for one of their cables.

seems reasonable, I was at an audio show last month and I listened to some speakers at a booth that had Soliton cables (basically same way of manufacturing) I'm going to get their usb cable. (It's 210 bucks)
Soliton cables are single crystal wires and they are supposed to be True Single Crystal wire because even the connectors are made by them that way. They sounded marvelous but their interconnect prices were above 2grand :p

May 9, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 10
What I wonder is though, is silver better than copper? or the other way around? or should I get silver&copper mixed cables?
some people say that pure silver sounds weak and out of energy.

May 9, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 10
If u live in the states..cabledyne has a 30days return policy..u can do a USB shootout with your soliton.
The silver USB was my firstbuy...then the whole bunch of wires..:p

May 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 10
People say silver is brighter & "quicker" whereas copper is supposed to be warmer & more laid-back.

The only silver cable I own is a QED Anniversary interconnect and it does sound very lean. I actually don't like it at all but this may be because of partnering equipment.

As ever, YMMV.

May 11, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I like warm&laid back sound so I would like copper instead of silver but I wonder what's it like if it is silver clad copper(basically silver wrapped around copper). Best of both worlds? or not so much?

May 11, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 10
Honestly? I have no idea. I imagine the idea is to get the best of both worlds but whether it's successful or not I can't say. It would be great to try cables before purchase.

May 11, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Honestly? I have no idea. I imagine the idea is to get the best of both worlds but whether it's successful or not I can't say. It would be great to try cables before purchase.

you can be only right by saying that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back