obscure hi-fi
Jun 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

atothex

1000+ Head-Fier
Let's talk about obscure headphone-related stuff that noobs would never know about and even experienced peeps have never heard. These may be new DIY designs without much of a following or vintage products that, when properly dusted off, compete with the best new stuff around. I'm interested in stuff like old orthos, MicroZOTL, Moon Audio Luna, EHHA, etc...

What obscure stuff competes with the popular Summi-Fi stuff? If possible, could experienced folk compare them to more well-known standards of reference?

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 12
The problem with obscure old headphone equipment is that there's precious little of it. This is still a very new branch of audiophilia.

If you want to get into obscure amp toplogies and exotic speaker types, there's much more to discuss. Personally, I've always been fascinated with plasma, or "singing arc" speakers. There's a DIY plasma tweeter out there - I've been meaning to build one. I do not think the technology would lend itself to headphones, however.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with obscure old headphone equipment is that there's precious little of it. This is still a very new branch of audiophilia.

If you want to get into obscure amp toplogies and exotic speaker types, there's much more to discuss. Personally, I've always been fascinated with plasma, or "singing arc" speakers. There's a DIY plasma tweeter out there - I've been meaning to build one. I do not think the technology would lend itself to headphones, however.
wink.gif

hehe, I imagine ozone created THAT close to your head would be a very bad idea indeed

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Ask Nelson Pass about that! He damaged his lungs at one exhibition of a plasma speaker many years ago.

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Frank Cooter has built some pretty amazing amps using designs from the 1930s. I have the technical knowledge of a tree stump, so I can't even remember what he told me about them, but you're not alone in that interest.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

That didn't prevent plasma headphones from being made. Audio Reference made the PlasmaSonic headphones around the 80s, and a few units were sold around Europe. I doubt they're still around, the driver needed service after 50-100 playing hours IIRC. Supposedly they sounded good.

I love plasma, it's pretty much the ultimate obscure technology - rare, dangerous, and in theory anyway potentially brilliant.

Whole_system.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Sometimes audiophiles talk about exotic cables and exotic tubes. I think that would be very cool with an exotic turntable that is very rare.

This looks fantastic brotha.

P1012388.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 12
Im on a cell phone browser, that table looks like a VPI.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Huh that ion super tweeter sounds interesting.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 12
From a source perspective, one interesting thing is you can get GREAT sound from some of the high-end Japanese Direct Drive turntables from the late 70's/early 80's, and get these for a very good price compared to current audiophile turntables.

While the cheap Direct-Drive turntables had a bad reputation that they deserved, the good ones were very good. The Denon DP-57M, 59L, 60L, 62L, and 72L; the Kenwood L-07D KD-770 and 990, and the JVC QL-Y66F - all terrific sounding, very quiet 'tables that can be sometimes had for really great prices (although sometimes they can be expensive on EBay
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back