Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 19, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #8,041 of 8,152
I asked Tempotec seller few questions, but unfortunately in return I got the same information what you can find in sales adverb. No specific answer on question about battery life in balanced mode, battery life in standby mode, gapless playback, gain settings. One clarify though, player is based on Linux, so it is probably Hiby os.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #8,043 of 8,152
It's not an open android or whatever, with all the apps and crap... that's what matters.

Balanced LO without a smartphone UI. This is probably the only player that has it.

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #8,046 of 8,152
My order from NiceHCK on Aliexpress arrived. Time to see how the Zisan Z5 matches up to the Z4.
PXL_20231220_164509704.jpg

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #8,047 of 8,152
My order from NiceHCK on Aliexpress arrived. Time to see how the Zisan Z5 matches up to the Z4.
Nice.
I am interested in a comparison.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #8,048 of 8,152
Still comparing audio but suprisingly close between the two so far. Was worried the RT6863D wouldn't sound great but enjoying it so far. UI is a lot "less bad" on the Z5 too but still not great. The extra two buttons make a big difference in navigating the player.

Few things that caught me out were that it's in chinese as standard with no manual explaining how to change the language. Easy to sort though, select the settings menu which in the cog on the bottom ight of the home screen. Scroll down to the second to last option, below "Samba" and above "Zisan Z5 01" and press the right button direction ad to cycle through languages. Also it doesn't auto switch between balanced and unbalanced output so you have to go back into the settings menu and toggle the "balance" setting to go between balanced and unbalanced.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #8,049 of 8,152
Also it doesn't auto switch between balanced and unbalanced output so you have to go back into the settings menu and toggle the "balance" setting to go between balanced and unbalanced.
I never heard and didn't know that there was such a thing.
I thought you have Output, and choosing which to use, 3.5 mm, 4.4 mm, or 2.5 mm, will give you balanced or unbalanced.
I have Z4.
Are you saying that this is the case with Z5? Are there any other DAPs or Amps where you must do this manually?
I know you change GAIN manually, but balanced or unbalanced...what's the point??? I am confused.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #8,050 of 8,152
Yeah, so with my Z4 I can plug in a 3.5mm unbalanced set of headphones then swap to a 2.5mm set of balanced headphones just fine. With the Z5 if I have it set in "balanced" mode, the 3.5mm jack just doesn't output audio. Same it I turn "balanced" off, the 3.5mm unblanced outputs audio but the 2.5mm balanced doesn't. Not a problem with me as most of my headphone cables are balanced. Only noticed as I wanted to compare the difference in audio quaity between balanced and unbalanced.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #8,051 of 8,152
Only noticed as I wanted to compare the difference in audio quaity between balanced and unbalanced.
Weird. I have never heard of it before. And that's exactly what I wanted to ask...how would you notice...perhaps with time?
Ok, it's not that I change cables every 5 min. I use mostly one...but what's the benefit of it?

How is it, Z5? I've read that someone returned one because it has substantially less power than Z4.
It's double the price of Z4. Can you tell the difference in sound?
I like Z4 a lot. I am thinking of buying another one just for backup.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #8,052 of 8,152
Weird. I have never heard of it before. And that's exactly what I wanted to ask...how would you notice...perhaps with time?
Ok, it's not that I change cables every 5 min. I use mostly one...but what's the benefit of it?

How is it, Z5? I've read that someone returned one because it has substantially less power than Z4.
It's double the price of Z4. Can you tell the difference in sound?
I like Z4 a lot. I am thinking of buying another one just for backup.

Cheers!
I find I have them at around the same volume (35 to 40ish) when listening to it balanced with my Sennheiser HD650. Still comparing audio and waiting for some new IEMs to arrive tomorrow so I can compare a bit more but so far can't notice a huge difference between the two but I do find myself grabbing the Z5 to take to work with me in the mornings.

The Z5 has actual EQ presets, though so damn many of them with nonsense names like "arpins_eqs", ""MX460" and "zyyx" as well as the regulars like, acoustic, bass and classical. Another nice little thing is that it seems to be less fussy about album art that while most my album art won't open up on the Z4, the majority do on the Z5.

So far while twice the price, I don't think the Z5 is twice as good as the Z4 but I'm still glad I bought it and will prbably use it over the Z4.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #8,053 of 8,152
Had the Zishan Z4 and the Zisan Z5 for a week now and feel like i've listened enough to make a decision on them. They're fairly similar in audio quality, other than the Z4 being a bit warmer than the Z5 with slightly better bass while the Z5 is a bit brighter and the highs like the sizzle of cybals are more pleasing. Prefer the controls of the Z5 to as I can more easily control the volume without first pressing up in the controls. Kept accidentally trying to turn the volume down on the Z4 and intstead going into the track list.

Other nice thing about the Z5 is that it seems a lot less fussy about album art. None of my album art shows up n the Z4 but nearly all of it shows u on the Z5.

I fnd myself using the Z5 a lot more than the Z4 mainly due to the controls but I feel if you're looking for audio on a budget, I don't think the Z5 is twice as good as the Z4. If you want a Zisan with decent controls, I'd look at the TempoTec V3 as it runs Hiby OS. Judging by the design language and construction of it,I think Zisan made it and are selling it through TempoTec.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #8,054 of 8,152
Hello everyone,
since I'm out of obscure and cheap DACs since a lot of time, I still have a Benjie S8/AGPTEK M30B. It was bought to replace a Benjie S5 (which worked way better imho, it was smaller, faster and had a better battery life).
Now, when I listen to FLAC files, it hear a sort of buzz and it really seems like it does it only with FLAC files.

I don't use DAPs very often, but if I wanted to buy the bare minimum to have a decent portable DAP to listen to FLAC albums, counting that I already have a few dongles but I want a small, portable and dedicated cheap device, what could I buy right now?
Isn't there anything like the old Benjie players out there?

Thanks everyone <3

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #8,055 of 8,152
Hello everyone,
since I'm out of obscure and cheap DACs since a lot of time, I still have a Benjie S8/AGPTEK M30B. It was bought to replace a Benjie S5 (which worked way better imho, it was smaller, faster and had a better battery life).
Now, when I listen to FLAC files, it hear a sort of buzz and it really seems like it does it only with FLAC files.

I don't use DAPs very often, but if I wanted to buy the bare minimum to have a decent portable DAP to listen to FLAC albums, counting that I already have a few dongles but I want a small, portable and dedicated cheap device, what could I buy right now?
Isn't there anything like the old Benjie players out there?

Thanks everyone <3

I have no experience with the Benjie players, but when someone asks me about a basic DAP for playing local FLAC files my first thought goes to the Hifi Walker H2. It's like $125 from Amazon, built like a tank (literally CNC zinc chassis), has good power, and sounds great. I have several expensive DAPs, but I still keep my H2 around because it's an impressive little device and I like it.

Edit: P.S. It also has a click wheel which is a big plus in my book. I always missed the click wheel style navigation from the iPod days until I got my H2. Definitely a cool piece of gear. 😎

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back