Obscure Chinese DAPs
Aug 13, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,276 of 8,143
Hi! I have recently joined the forum, after hours and hours of reading you in silence :grinning:.
I need some help please. I'm on a tight budget $50-$60, and i would like to make a good choice. What would you recommend? I have a BBS PROSOUND DJ-H1 (32 ohms).
Xduoo X2 + Earphone
Benjie K9
Benjie K9 + XDUOO XQ-10 MINI
Benjie S5 + Earphone
Etc

Sorry for my poor English...

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,278 of 8,143
Hi! I have recently joined the forum, after hours and hours of reading you in silence :grinning:.
I need some help please. I'm on a tight budget $50-$60, and i would like to make a good choice. What would you recommend? I have a BBS PROSOUND DJ-H1 (32 ohms).
Xduoo X2 + Earphone
Benjie K9
Benjie K9 + XDUOO XQ-10 MINI
Benjie S5 + Earphone
Etc

Sorry for my poor English...

After my experience with most of those mentioned I'd point you to the S5 + XQ-10 these two shouldn't have problems powering headphones and iems.

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #1,280 of 8,143
Thanks! and between XQ-10 and Topping NX1? Which one might be the best to match with the S5?
I have the S5 + XQ-10 combo. If you want less bulkiness go for the XQ-10, despite it's size it has a ton of power. To give you an idea; I turn the dial on the amp about a quarter of the way and the S5 has a maximum volume of 31, anything over 15 is too loud.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,283 of 8,143
So I received the following DAPs: Benjie S5, C1, K9, Idealist S1813, ONN X5. I will post some impression on them for @CoiL

ONN X5
Sound is very good but an easy pass due to it's bad firmware and difficult navigation, not to mention updating the player is nearly impossible to accomplish.

Idealist S1813
Honestly this player is extremely good but for some reason the screen just ruins it for me. The animations are so wacky and the transitions in the menus feel so primitive. This player reminds me of dial-up internet.

Benjie K9/C1
 I'll include both of these in one impression because essentially they are the same player sound wise. The difference between these two is the build quality and screen, the C1 has a plastic body and feels extremely cheap, I would not recommend it, while the K9 has a metal back-plate while the front is completely glass. The K9 is heavy, to give you an idea of how heavy it is, the K9 and an 80GB iPod classic feel the same (in terms of weight). If the K9 had a dedicated back button it would be perfect because the controls can be hard to memorize.

Benjie S5
Tiny but packs a punch. The S5 is essentially a beefier Sansa Clip. The firmware is very similar except that the S5 comes with Folder View, in terms of sound the S5 blows away my Clip Plus. The build quality is very impressive, I really like how it combines the touch and solid buttons. This player has a back button, I can't stress enough how much easier it is to navigate through menus when you have a back button. The only drawback for me is that the touch keys are not backlit so using it at night is kind of hard, but since the buttons are nicely layed out its only a matter of time before I can memorize the positions. If you do get the S5 I recommend the Xduoo XQ10 amp, it turns the S5 into a monster portable rig.

I hope these impressions help you make a decision
smily_headphones1.gif

T

Thank you for reviewing them.  Well, do I need an amp for the Benjie K9? I am interested in it. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,285 of 8,143
the K9 shouldn't have problems powering anything under 32 ohms (that's the highest I believe I have) like all DAPs it does benefit from amping. If you aren't going to be using earphones with high ohms it should be fine

Okay that's great since I like to try on cheap Chinese IEMs. Thank you, shall order from Penon Audio now. Cheersss :) 

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,287 of 8,143
So I received the following DAPs: Benjie S5, C1, K9, Idealist S1813, ONN X5. I will post some impression on them for @CoiL

ONN X5
Sound is very good but an easy pass due to it's bad firmware and difficult navigation, not to mention updating the player is nearly impossible to accomplish.

Idealist S1813
Honestly this player is extremely good but for some reason the screen just ruins it for me. The animations are so wacky and the transitions in the menus feel so primitive. This player reminds me of dial-up internet.

Benjie K9/C1
 I'll include both of these in one impression because essentially they are the same player sound wise. The difference between these two is the build quality and screen, the C1 has a plastic body and feels extremely cheap, I would not recommend it, while the K9 has a metal back-plate while the front is completely glass. The K9 is heavy, to give you an idea of how heavy it is, the K9 and an 80GB iPod classic feel the same (in terms of weight). If the K9 had a dedicated back button it would be perfect because the controls can be hard to memorize.

Benjie S5
Tiny but packs a punch. The S5 is essentially a beefier Sansa Clip. The firmware is very similar except that the S5 comes with Folder View, in terms of sound the S5 blows away my Clip Plus. The build quality is very impressive, I really like how it combines the touch and solid buttons. This player has a back button, I can't stress enough how much easier it is to navigate through menus when you have a back button. The only drawback for me is that the touch keys are not backlit so using it at night is kind of hard, but since the buttons are nicely layed out its only a matter of time before I can memorize the positions. If you do get the S5 I recommend the Xduoo XQ10 amp, it turns the S5 into a monster portable rig.

I hope these impressions help you make a decision :)  

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you for what you said about the Sansa Clip+ vs Benjie S5. In terms of sound quality I find that the Sansa Clip+ is a little bit warmer than the S5. Also for the outupt power, it can easily demonstrated that the Sansa Clip+ is louder than the S5. So I really don't understand why the Benjie S5 blows away the Sansa Clip+.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,289 of 8,143
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you for what you said about the Sansa Clip+ vs Benjie S5. In terms of sound quality I find that the Sansa Clip+ is a little bit warmer than the S5. Also for the outupt power, it can easily demonstrated that the Sansa Clip+ is louder than the S5. So I really don't understand why the Benjie S5 blows away the Sansa Clip+.
Just listened to both my clip plus and s5 you were right the S5 doesn't blow it away, to my ears the s5 is slighty louder. I guess I forgot about the clip's power.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,290 of 8,143

ONN X5

Idealist S1813

Benjie K9/C1

Benjie S5

I hope these impressions help you make a decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Does K9 or S5 has warm sound? Coz I have xduoo x2 and I cant stand its bassy SQ, doesnt go well with most of my IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back