Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,011 of 8,150
Could any of you more knowledgeable headfiers with regards to audio circuits / layouts & TaoBao give me some advice please? @T.R.A.N.C.E.@neog007 to just mention two, though I'm sure there are more out there  :) .. Basically I'm looking for a sweet budget dap (max about 120$). However, it's all about the sound for me. Though I was tempted by the Walnut, I would miss the ability to skip per track. I don't mind basic UI, but I need to be able to browse folders (one per album for example) and have individual song files. Gapless isn't high on my requirements list. I didn't like the measurements I saw from the Walnut (can't have any subbass rolloff!). Not having a screen would start to annoy me in the longer run too I think.Apart from lack of technical knowledge, I'm also a total TaoBao beginner :).

ATM I'm very much torn between ZiShan DSD and XunSound X01. I plan to using it mostly with earbuds (looking forward to exploring higher impedance ones), maybe the odd IEM too. I have the Somic V2 but that's not hard to drive, and I'm not planning on getting a new pair of headphones anytime soon. Though I listen to lots of different genres of music,(reggae, 70's 80's 90's rock, hip hop, rythem &blues,  I'll probably *mostly* be listening to EDM (Psy dub/chill/trance/break stuff, for instance: Bluetech, Hibernation, Younger Brother, Ott - that kind of stuff.

I don't care much about line-out if the dac and amp are sweet. I had an Xduoo 2 before but (granted - with sensitive IEMS) found the sound pretty eh. Though an unfair comparison (price!) my rooted Samsung phone beats the pants off it so I quickly sold it to a friend, I gve him a good deal :) .

I couldn't find the voltage the XunSound has available for the output stage, which is something I'm curious about. Also, did anyoe manage to catch the thickness of the player? Lastly I'm curious about the battery life of it, I google translated the description but couldn't find any info on it.. The Zishan's thickness (and corners) do look a bit intimidating as I plan to carr it with me, probably in my jeans pocket (don't do skinny jeans though lol) .

With the Zishan, I really like the fact that it has the option to EQ. I like to tweak from time to time, depending on the genre, my bud / IEM and my mood. I'd probably go with the cheaper version (4490 DAC) without the volume pot as I am worried of the QC - I figure that removes one of the biggest risks from the design, what do you guys think? I'm also curious if you enjoy the interface of the Zishan.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,012 of 8,150
Pulpfiction don't take the subbass roll off on those measurements too seriously. I listen to mine almost every day and won't listen to anything that does not have very good and strong bass impact. Many walnut users will agree its bass quantity, power and depth are unique among most daps. It doesn't do the best job at subwoofer test tracks because it has some sub bass boost as is actually. Now i haven't given the Smart DAP a try and i am pretty sure TRANCE is the only dude to own both a zishan and smart... But you liked the xduoo x2. Have you given the x10 any thought? Doubt it will be as bassy as walnut but the screenless approach is not for everyone.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,013 of 8,150
  Could any of you more knowledgeable headfiers with regards to audio circuits / layouts & TaoBao give me some advice please? @T.R.A.N.C.E.@neog007 to just mention two, though I'm sure there are more out there  :) .. Basically I'm looking for a sweet budget dap (max about 120$). However, it's all about the sound for me. Though I was tempted by the Walnut, I would miss the ability to skip per track. I don't mind basic UI, but I need to be able to browse folders (one per album for example) and have individual song files. Gapless isn't high on my requirements list. I didn't like the measurements I saw from the Walnut (can't have any subbass rolloff!). Not having a screen would start to annoy me in the longer run too I think.Apart from lack of technical knowledge, I'm also a total TaoBao beginner :).

ATM I'm very much torn between ZiShan DSD and XunSound X01. I plan to using it mostly with earbuds (looking forward to exploring higher impedance ones),...

I really can't say too much about the XunSound X01 and I´m not an expert either better wait for @T.R.A.N.C.E.explanation but at a simple look to both circuitry, the Zishan appears to be a general better design and a slightly better processor but in sound terms that´s not all so I can´t really compare them.
The Zishan is great but you need to change the stock oamp unless you only like electronic music and nothing else -in that case is very ok-. As an example the power and precision that transmits the electronic hardcore group Scooter is just insane with the stock oamp.
It works well with sensitive iem-earbuds with the turbo mode deactivated.
Finally, as a reference, I own the xDuoo x2 and compare them both makes no sense is like day and night really, but the difference with the walnut v2 is less noticeable.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,014 of 8,150
Hi Vapman,

Well, I wasn't blown away with the Xduoo X2.. Though its  basic UI was fine for me. I could dump a bunch of files in one folder and organize as I felt fitting (per artist, per album, per genre, usually I'd mix and match depending on what I wanted to bring with me).. D200 I deffiitely find interesting but is certainly out of budget for me.. It's between the XunSound X01 and AK4490 vol.potless version of the Zishan for me. Tempted more by the latter due to the fast processor, screen and versatility. QC, 5mm thicker and those hard edges though :p.. I'm wondering how Zishan + Ty 650 would sound (not that I have one, but it's definitely a bud I'm eyeing for future purchase :) ) ..

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,015 of 8,150
^ I have HM603s, bought it for $150 from Penon audio, and they still have stock (but $199). Fyi it's not a sigma delta dac, that's what modern dacs are, TDA1543 is a multi-bit dac, these type of dac's are no longer made, they do have a unique presentation (goodbye treble, hello texture and timbre), but hifiman's implementation of the dac is mediocre and doesn't show off these traits.

It is a very flawed player, It has extreme treble roll off, and the bass is flabby AF, the mids are kinda strident, it feels like the bass, mids and treble are from different planets, all are individually bad, and not even matching with each other to boot.

Don't buy it expecting some kind of magic sound from the multi-bit dac...

But thanks for reminding me about this dap, now that I think about it I really should MOD this guy with better suited opamps, the stock OP275, OP2604, LT1057 are all good opamps, but not the best suited to their roles, using so many Jfet opamps is only exaggerating the bass and treble problems.

Now to pick the opamps, will have to think of bright opamps, jfet for IV, bipolar for lpf and amp, I'm thinking OPA1642 for IV, LM4562 for LPF and TLE2142 for Amp.

Edit: Just had a fresh listen to the HM603s, and it confirmed to me it's not worth trying to save it with modding, it just sounds wrong, it has a powerful output but at the same time sounds thin and discomposed, like the digital audio process is bad, which is no surprise given no PLL or decoupling for I2S seems to be used for timing to the dac.

HM603s is a paperweight.
IMO, the HM-603 has a decent line output, and a tube-like midrange transparency. It needs to be used with a bright external amp, though (I'm currently using an iBasso P4). The onboard amp is rather rudimentary...

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,016 of 8,150
The point is, it's a NOS (non-oversampling) multibit design. You either love or hate the sound, as is the case with horn loudspeakers. It does some things well, others terribly.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,017 of 8,150

It's between the XunSound X01 and AK4490 vol.potless version of the Zishan for me.

Simple choice there, get the Zishan, it's better in multiple ways, the X01 has a couple nice points to it, but the Zishan easily has more going for it. I also recommend Walnut, it has plenty of bass, I use it as my gym dap because it kicks beats out admirably, I use it with Koss Portapro.

The point is, it's a NOS (non-oversampling) multibit design. You either love or hate the sound, as is the case with horn loudspeakers. It does some things well, others terribly.

Certainly. Although in addition to that I feel hifiman didn't do the TDA1543 justice with their implementation, the flaws of the sound extend past the multi-bit dac's personality, much refinement is needed.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,018 of 8,150
It's difficult to get a TDA1543 working well in a portable device. It has a high power consumption and generates quite a bit of heat.

My modified Teradak Chameleon obviously sounds much better... (16x TDA1543, big PSU, Obbligato output caps)

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,019 of 8,150
Damnit, I have both the XunSound xs-01 and the V2 Walnut on the way to me but I now also want the Zishan DSD! Starting to regret joining headfi already!!!
By the way, has anyone any experience of this player?
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291856501698
??

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,024 of 8,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back