Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #3,377 of 7,516
Hi bc...glad to see another fan of Neotech's superlative (IMHO) wire...personally use it everywhere I possibly can. And yes, high quality equipment - including headphones! - simply cries out for it! :beyersmile:

To accompany the 24AWG UPOCC (solid) silver and copper wires in my hp cable, I added a 24AWG AG-GD...and, much against my usual practice, only to the pos and not return/ground (couldn't find the 8m length anywhere alas...suspect a bit of 'tidying up' by the better half! :scream::slight_frown:). But even so, the difference was still noticeable. I'm waiting to see how my friend Olli's use of just this wire for his own Empys squares up...
Thanks for the info! You have me interested enough now to melt the credit card. :sweat_smile:

I've been a big fan of Neotech wire for quite some time. And not only their chassis wire, but their bulk cable like the NEP-3002 for power cords. Put some nice Furutech connectors on it and it sounds better than some cords I've spent way more on. Not that power cords make any difference, of course. :sweat_smile: Even wired up my Tektons with 16 and 18 gauge...great stuff.

Lore Crossover 2.JPG

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #3,378 of 7,516
Haha!

Hypnos will confirm but I think he used 24 and 26AG-GD silver/gold. I intend to use 24. The only way you could get thicker wires than that would be if you just had UP-OCC silver only then you could go to 20 ,22 or 24AWG. I might do that as 24AG-GD is incredibly thin wire.

Or you could go for the already made up cable at HifiCollective: Neotech NEI-1002 UP-OCC Silver Interconnect Cable. The wire is thicker and I don't think the price would be much different.

NB: I see HiFiCollective now do a gold plated silver, or copper now, for those who have everything!!

Your cable looks same construction as my stock HiFiMan, but obviously better! Mine is copper as well, If I still had my HD600 I think I would prefer copper anyway.
Gold plated silver. How cool. But I didn't even look at it. One of those "if you have to ask" cost questions, and @UntilThen still only pays me $3 (AUD) an hour. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #3,379 of 7,516
Handsome shirt, although I'm still having difficulty getting over the immediate association that "Footscray" Footspray sounds like something one would use to treat toenail fungus. :thinking:
Fixed it for you!

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #3,380 of 7,516
I just thought I would say a few brief concluding remarks about how special that Footscray Brimar was for anyone interested now that I've had a chance to compare it with my Philips.

It is indeed very special, powerful, the presentation is very realistic, especially with that bass and drums, it's like sitting in the front row of a live performance, and I know I have stood right next to Mick Fleetwood's bass drum at a festival, and been deafened! The resolution is second to none, for example the cymbals, high hats and such like are so clear and realistic, I have never heard that at such a high level before. And the soundstage has very accurate instrument placement. As a measure of how "special" it is it has elevated my humble $150 modded Miniwatt to the same end game level as my much more expensive and extensively modded Little Dot MKVI+. That is really saying something because the Miniwatt is a speaker amp and for a speaker amp to compare with a headphone setup is pretty special.

However for me I think I prefer the more linear frequency band of the Philips than one weighted more to the bass frequencies, saying that the treble is still very extensive on the Brimar. Others may disagree, and I do love the Brimar, just not for everyday listening... possibly...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3,381 of 7,516
Haha!

Hypnos will confirm but I think he used 24 and 26AG-GD silver/gold. I intend to use 24. The only way you could get thicker wires than that would be if you just had UP-OCC silver only then you could go to 20 ,22 or 24AWG. I might do that as 24AG-GD is incredibly thin wire.

Or you could go for the already made up cable at HifiCollective: Neotech NEI-1002 UP-OCC Silver Interconnect Cable. The wire is thicker and I don't think the price would be much different.

NB: I see HiFiCollective now do a gold plated silver, or copper now, for those who have everything!!

Your cable looks same construction as my stock HiFiMan, but obviously better! Mine is copper as well, If I still had my HD600 I think I would prefer copper anyway.
Sorry once more thread...but...:thinking:

Yo bb...my only gripe with the AG-GD wire - ie. it's incredibly difficult to strip without losing half the wires lol! :slight_frown: IMHO it would be far better ergonomically (and sonically in my book!) to halve the number and double the extremely thin 0.1mm diam.!! Can't understand that one...:rolling_eyes:. But glad I persevered. However, 'straight' UP-OCC silver (accompanied perhaps by a copper wire) will still be superb lol...

As for gold-plated silver wire, at about £7/metre more than the AG-GD - and still that measly 0.1mm, that's one I myself shan't even bother to try methinks. To me, the gold content in AG-GD being integral with the silver will benefit from the Ohno Continuous Cast process. But 'plate'...???...hmmm. I'll leave that one to others :wink:. Good luck with your own projects and choices...CJ
Thanks for the info! You have me interested enough now to melt the credit card. :sweat_smile:

I've been a big fan of Neotech wire for quite some time. And not only their chassis wire, but their bulk cable like the NEP-3002 for power cords. Put some nice Furutech connectors on it and it sounds better than some cords I've spent way more on. Not that power cords make any difference, of course. :sweat_smile:Even wired up my Tektons with 16 and 18 gauge...great stuff.

Lore Crossover 2.JPG
Wow bc, that's one pricey power cable...but looks really good! I was happy with my NEP-3003 MkIII UP-OCC Hybrid until Germanic (not mine!) enthusiasm converted me to solid UP-OCC silver for this use also - in this case AWG22 at about £42/metre (rated 6.3A @300V, so 1890W handling..more than enough for our hifi methinks!) and made up in the 'dual', shielded method I mentioned recently. And once again convinced me of the importance of quality power cables, especially when terminated with high quality plugs (such as Neotech's UP-OCC Copper w/24K gold plating IEC plug). The increased clarity, dynamics and flow took me quite by surprise...but then, even though not actually carrying the sound signal itself, these cables are of course providing the transfer medium for said signal...so no surprise really! :wink::relaxed:.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,382 of 7,516
Tonight I return to the tubes I send to Tomas when he was building Odyssey. Strangely I've not use much of the Genalex KT88 in the 13 days rendezvous with Odyssey.

Tonight I'm using the Siemens EL11 and Genalex KT88. What a glorious tone. Odyssey is bias on the KT88 and it shouldn't surprise me that this tube is crackling a storm in my listening session tonight. What am I hearing? I refer you to Rusty up above. He describe it so well. :)

IMG_3020.jpg
Have you a favourite so far? Looks like you're enjoying them all 👍.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #3,383 of 7,516
Sorry once more thread...but...:thinking:

Yo bb...my only gripe with the AG-GD wire - ie. it's incredibly difficult to strip without losing half the wires lol! :slight_frown: IMHO it would be far better ergonomically (and sonically in my book!) to halve the number and double the extremely thin 0.1mm diam.!! Can't understand that one...:rolling_eyes:. But glad I persevered. However, 'straight' UP-OCC silver (accompanied perhaps by a copper wire) will still be superb lol...
Yes, I can't understand it either, I suppose people such as yourself lose half the wire stripping it.. and have to go back to the supplier and buy some more lol!
A while back I came across some information about the importance of the cross sectional area necessary to carry the bass frequencies and I wondered if that was why some silver cables are fairly thin in the bass department.
I missed a chance, unlike you adding UP-OCC copper and silver, when I stripped out the copper cables from inside my LD and replaced with the silver. However the tone is so good I'm happy with the result.
As for gold-plated silver wire, at about £7/metre more than the AG-GD - and still that measly 0.1mm, that's one I myself shan't even bother to try methinks. To me, the gold content in AG-GD being integral with the silver will benefit from the Ohno Continuous Cast process. But 'plate'...???...hmmm. I'll leave that one to others :wink:. Good luck with your own projects and choices...CJ
Thanks! Yes I know people besides yourself have commented on the gold content adding to the sound!

Cheers :relaxed:.
The increased clarity, dynamics and flow took me quite by surprise...but then, even though not actually carrying the sound signal itself, these cables are of course providing the transfer medium for said signal...so no surprise really! :wink::relaxed:.
WOW!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,384 of 7,516
Odyssey is 15 days old now. I've been sitting with the tubes in the picture below for 2 days. Which is Tung Sol 6SU7gty and Radiotron 807. The Siemens EL11s are given a rest. :) Just as I am writing, BaronBeeHive's question came up. No I haven't found a favorite so far. I have found several favorites. :) I was surprised that the 6SL7 sound as good as the EL11.

I spend some time again with 3 amps powered on last night. Odyssey, Destiny and Oblivion. I was going through with my LCD4 and Hekse with each of the amps. Destiny and Oblivion are still great sounding amps. Still amaze with their tones. Odyssey has something special. There's a bounce wrapped tightly in minuscule bubbles in each note. Put collectively as a whole, you can imagine what that presents to your brains. Now I mentioned Berocca Bounce on the first few days of getting the amp. You do know what is Berocca Bounce don't you? :relaxed: It's putting the springs in my music.

Here is Odyssey again. The obsession is never ending. If this carries on further, I've to check into AA - which means Amps Anonymous.

IMG_3023.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #3,385 of 7,516
You do know what is Berocca Bounce don't you? :relaxed: It's putting the springs in my music.

Here is Odyssey again. The obsession is never ending. If this carries on further, I've to check into AA - which means Amps Anonymous.

IMG_3023.jpg
Oh wow, I just google it! It looks good but why the Automobile Association?

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,386 of 7,516
Aug 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,387 of 7,516

AA can mean many things... Alcoholics Anonymous, Automobile Association, American Airlines, Australia Always and lastly Amps Anonymous which is where you check in to give up amps.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,388 of 7,516
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #3,389 of 7,516
I was left scratching my head at that one too. For @UntilThen , it should more logically be the GCA, or Golf Cart Association. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back