Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #1,546 of 7,492
The only reason is that your 807 is no good. You bought a bad 807

Absolutely I agree with you. Otherwise both tubes would have blown. I just have bad luck with a NOS NIB Sylvania 807, which is a shame because the Radiotron 807 sound very good. So did the Sylvania 807 for one night.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,548 of 7,492
it is better off to replace the output transformer to LL2777B.
I might do that when I get the TU-8200 repaired at the same time. Is it possible to replace just one PCB board and a socket. Apologies talking about Elekit on an Oblivion thread. I should probably take this discussion to the Elekit thread.

Thanks Victor.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,552 of 7,492
OUCH! UT. Interesting though, as when I was researching alternatives to the 6L6 there seemed mixed views as to the 807's versatility? But perhaps it was indeed simply a bad tube which, as you said, can also happen to NOS tubes alas. Normally that kind of catastrophic failure seems to be down to either arcing across electrodes or too high a voltage on the anode?...

And as for silver, if anything in the system is over-sensitive to treble frequencies, then (good!) copper might be a safer bet. However, mono-crystal OCC silver, as with Neotech's UP-OCC offerings shouldn't cause any such problems (the opposite in fact), and also still deliver good, solid, detailed bass. As always though, the only real way to be sure is suck it and see! :smile:...GOOD LUCK... CJ
I don't know if UT can see on the PCB what has burnt out, if so it might be able to be replaced.

Re: silver cable, the trouble is that they tend to be of a smaller cross sectional area than copper probably due to cost. That worried me a bit when I replaced my internal cable with neotech OCC silver, but happily the bass was still there, and yes the clarity was good yet still smooth.

What did surprise me when I looked into cables was that the resistance of silver is very similar to copper, only very slightly less. I expected there to be much more of a difference to account for the sound characteristics.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,553 of 7,492
As I said earlier, a friend is bringing over a McChanson KT77 and 300b amps. He6se Mk2 will also be here. Also a Luxman P750u. Susvara and Utopia too. Auteur and Grado GH4. It's turning out to be a mini meet in my home ! Just when I said I will wind back at my involvement in this hobby.
Sounds like a great mini meet.. wait a minute, what's that smell. Oh it's just your wallet starting to burn again....:wink:.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #1,554 of 7,492
Really? So young ! Well lots of people were famous when they were young. James Dean, Beatles, Rolling Stones, ABBA? :ksc75smile:
That is young, unfortunately I can remember the Beatles!

Haha when I think of Sweden I think of ABBA, Volvo but it's a lovely country. I must visit one day !
Me too! Must meet up in Stockholm some time, it looks fantastic!

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #1,555 of 7,492
@baronbeehive you wouldn't be interested in classical, would you? I have decided to buy these 90 classical LPs... so I can listen on the weekends with a glass of wine or vodka or guiness stout ! Anything to digest classical.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/342028-fs-90-classical-lps/?tab=comments#comment-4726522
There are a lot there that I like, Baroque, Holst, Granados, Bach, Dvoraq, Vivaldi, Chopin, and Vaughn Williams especially. I also know much of the Spanish ones, Granados, Narciso Yepes and Alirio Diyas. In fact all of them look very good. I admit that I don't listen to classical much though now, but Fourplay, now you're talking!! The Spanish ones I know well from my Spanish guitar days, I now spend a lot of time playing my Stratocaster these days.

Did you manage to acquire them?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,556 of 7,492
There are a lot there that I like, Baroque, Holst, Granados, Bach, Dvoraq, Vivaldi, Chopin, and Vaughn Williams especially. I also know much of the Spanish ones, Granados, Narciso Yepes and Alirio Diyas. In fact all of them look very good. I admit that I don't listen to classical much though now, but Fourplay, now you're talking!! The Spanish ones I know well from my Spanish guitar days, I now spend a lot of time playing my Stratocaster these days.

Did you manage to acquire them?

It was a great afternoon spent with 3 other younger audio enthusiasts. Finished up with a dinner at a food court at the end of the day. It was a great day. Too tired to write about what transpired during the mini meet. There were some very good stuff and what I hear was very special and good. I'll have to write a summary about the afternoon session another day. Now I need to hit the sack because tomorrow is working from home day.

At the end of the day, I check my email and saw the seller getting back to me, saying that the 90 classical LPs have been spoken for. Guess there are others more interested than me. That's ok. What I need is quality not quantity. I think I was tempted there because it seem like a bargain. How often do you go to the supermarket and bought items because there is a sale, even though you didn't set off with any intention of buying that item. That's a trick at the supermarket. You will end up buying something you don't need but have bought it anyway because there's a sale on it.

So next time you see a McIntosh for sale at your local HiFi Shop for $500, don't buy it because you don't need a McIntosh !!! Similarly if you see a Mercedes at the showroom for $1000, don't buy it because the service and repair cost will make you broke !!!

You get the idea?

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,557 of 7,492
One item that I really love which I heard during the meet is the HE1000 V2. One of the young urns brought it to my house. I have the He1000se but the V2 is very good too. I can tell the difference because it's very easily detectable if you have ears and we all have ears.

2nd item that had my attention is the He6se Mk2. This headphone is with me now for 3 weeks while my LCD-3f goes to Luke Skywalker because we agree to exchange headphones for a 3 weeks period. Now I know what the fuss is all about the He6se. It's actually pretty good when fed with some serious current, which the McChanson KT77 amp has. Even tried speaker taps as well as headphone jack.

Auteur and Aeolous were there too as well as HD800S, as well as my LCD-3f.

The KT77 SET amp is frighteningly good. What I hear are angels singing and I know my Odyssey has to be just much better, which means the Beatles singing again or in the case of @baronbeehive , Fourplay is at it again. :wink:

Goodnight !

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,558 of 7,492
I don't know if UT can see on the PCB what has burnt out, if so it might be able to be replaced.

Re: silver cable, the trouble is that they tend to be of a smaller cross sectional area than copper probably due to cost. That worried me a bit when I replaced my internal cable with neotech OCC silver, but happily the bass was still there, and yes the clarity was good yet still smooth.

What did surprise me when I looked into cables was that the resistance of silver is very similar to copper, only very slightly less. I expected there to be much more of a difference to account for the sound characteristics.

Was that OCC silver's resistance you compared with copper bb?...interesting if so... :wink:. The main benefits with OCC of course come from its mono crystal structure, allowing a much 'cleaner' electron flow. And fortunately, I myself have certainly been very pleased with the Neotech over the years, having experimented (at length!) with both well-respected commercial 'ordinary' silver cable- as from ArtisanSilver/StefanAudioArt for example - and numerous DIY trials using good quality soft-annealed pure (jewellery) silver wire that managed to outperform the Artisan at a fraction of the cost lol! But even this couldn't match the Neotech UP-OCC-based cables or (mostly) the wire for my DIYs (especially the latter when constructed with multiple shielding and separate cables for signal & return or pos/neg for powers - both AC and DC...thereby reducing capacitance/inductance/interference :slight_smile:).

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,559 of 7,492
Was that OCC silver's resistance you compared with copper bb?...interesting if so... :wink:. The main benefits with OCC of course come from its mono crystal structure, allowing a much 'cleaner' electron flow. And fortunately, I myself have certainly been very pleased with the Neotech over the years, having experimented (at length!) with both well-respected commercial 'ordinary' silver cable- as from ArtisanSilver/StefanAudioArt for example - and numerous DIY trials using good quality soft-annealed pure (jewellery) silver wire that managed to outperform the Artisan at a fraction of the cost lol! But even this couldn't match the Neotech UP-OCC-based cables or (mostly) the wire for my DIYs (especially the latter when constructed with multiple shielding and separate cables for signal & return or pos/neg for powers - both AC and DC...thereby reducing capacitance/inductance/interference :slight_smile:).
Fascinating that you've demonstrated experimentally the properties of the crystal structure that Neotech maintain give such good results!

Yes there's so much to take into account when selecting the appropriate cable. I was a bit concerned as I said when I saw the diameter of the cable I used for the internal output wires on my amp and they were very easy to break if you weren't careful, but the results were superb and I would recommend them to anyone. (I was a bit miserly when ordering the wires due to the cost).

I wanted to improve the clarity, transparency and textural detail of the amp as much as possible over the OCC copper that I had put in originally, and I think I achieved that and am very happy with the result. As I said in the thread, the sound of a violin bow screeching across the strings was texturally superb, very realistic and faithful to the sound of the instrument whereas the OCC copper was much warmer and smoother!

Of course poor quality silver is to be avoided at all costs, that will give you that tinkly, sharp sound that isn't pleasant at all.

I think due to the innovative design of the amps on this thread the cables will be of much less importance though.

Good to see another Brit on the thread lol!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,560 of 7,492
A few things I wanted to say before I dive back into work again. Firstly, not really an impression of yesterday's meet but more of a summary of thoughts very quickly.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he1000-se.886228/post-16252451

Secondly, I know this is a Ultrasonic Studios thread but since my post of my failed Elekit TU-8200 brought @vkung in here to comment, it's only right that I give credit where credit is due. Victor, the representative of Elekit Canada and the North Atlantic - I think he took upon himself the task of helping others with Elekit problems .... willingly, call and spoke to me on Whatsapp this morning. It's rare to see anyone this helpful and there's no gain in it for him. It's just his passion for this hobby as he explains to me.

Anyway, he will Facetime me once I get back to Canberra on how to decouple the PCB from the chassis and then send it to him and he will fix it for me. :rolling_eyes: I've not seen such helpfulness before. I'm so glad because I really love this amp that is call Elekit TU-8200. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back