Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #841 of 7,539
What is output power on the custom Citadel or
does it put out the same as the regular?

What is it’s purpose against the regular version?

Does it use the same input tubes as the regular?

It would seem to handle the 1266 TC just fine as it is close to 2 watts which is what the XI Audio Formula S puts out.
Read here & here for the answers to your questions.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #842 of 7,539
Don't recall Sonic saying anything about the custom Citadel sounding different from the regular Citadel. So looks like just aesthetics. Different chassis, output tubes. Drivers appear to be similar.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #843 of 7,539

What is it’s purpose against the regular version?

Does it use the same input tubes as the regular?

It would seem to handle the 1266 TC just fine as it is close to 2 watts which is what the XI Audio Formula S puts out.
I'm building a custom Citadel right now. Will take power output measurements when I finish it in a few days. They will be close to the regular Citadel.

It's only the output tubes that differ from the stock Citadel. The 6P7S tubes will yield slightly higher voltage swing. So more power into high Z headphones. But, I mainly use the 6P7S for aesthetics in the silver version.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #844 of 7,539
So being that eventually be an owner of the Citadel decided to see what popped up on eBay for the 6P7S and there’s a lot in quads. I’m bad at trying to decide on something so abundant. What brands should I focus on? No, have no intention on tube rolling as it’s not needed.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #845 of 7,539
So being that eventually be an owner of the Citadel decided to see what popped up on eBay for the 6P7S and there’s a lot in quads. I’m bad at trying to decide on something so abundant. What brands should I focus on? No, have no intention on tube rolling as it’s not needed.
Brand for 6P7S doesn't matter. They're all Russian tubes, either Foton or Svetlana if I'm not mistaken. Very good and linear tubes and still cheap! You could also try the American tube 6BG6 which (almost) has identical specs as the Russian 6P7S. The 6BG6 is not as plentiful and cheap as the 6P7S though.

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #846 of 7,539

I'm building a custom Citadel right now. Will take power output measurements when I finish it in a few days. They will be close to the regular Citadel.

The amp is now finished and I made the output power measurements. As expected they're very close to the regular Citadel. So close that it's not worth noting as you won't notice any difference in power.

Here're some pics =)

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #847 of 7,539
The amp is now finished and I made the output power measurements. As expected they're very close to the regular Citadel. So close that it's not worth noting as you won't notice any difference in power.

Here're some pics =)

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG
What a beauty, evoking master craftsmanship like fine art at every angle. This one somehow gives me the impression it's small. Would you be able to take another photo with it against something like a known headphone, soda cans, etc. for a point of reference on size?

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #848 of 7,539

Here're some pics =)

This is absolutely gorgeous, right down to the beautiful vibration control feet.

The big questions now....what's the price point on this custom Citadel???

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #849 of 7,539

Here're some pics =)

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

No more heat sinks?

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #850 of 7,539
What a beauty, evoking master craftsmanship like fine art at every angle. This one somehow gives me the impression it's small. Would you be able to take another photo with it against something like a known headphone, soda cans, etc. for a point of reference on size?

Have a look at Joseph's pictures. He has it side by side with the Woo Audio WA33. That will give you an idea of the custom Citadel size.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/oblivion-ultrasonic-studios.902926/post-15490664

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #851 of 7,539
Thanks for the nice comments! I really appreciate it!

The amp is boxed up and ships out today. But, the exact dimensions are stated on my website. Check the Citadel page.

This is absolutely gorgeous, right down to the beautiful vibration control feet.

The big questions now....what's the price point on this custom Citadel???
Thanks! :)

The price for Silver Citadel is 2550 EUR with no add-ons.

No more heat sinks?
There's plenty of heat sinks on the inside that are directly mounted to the chassis. Nothing is getting overheated :wink:

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #852 of 7,539
It’s a big amp

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #853 of 7,539
Here are a couple of photos of my CC next to my GS-Xmk2 for reference.
Neither are big amps.

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0979.jpeg

No more heat sinks?
I've had my CC running for 4+hrs at a time on several occasions and it doesn't run hot at all, only slightly warm.
In fact, my GSX-mk2 runs warmer.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #854 of 7,539
Here are a couple of photos of my CC next to my GS-Xmk2 for reference.
Neither are big amps.

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpeg

IMG_0979.jpeg

I've had my CC running for 4+hrs at a time on several occasions and it doesn't run hot at all, only slightly warm.
In fact, my GSX-mk2 runs warmer.
Have you notice CC being more enjoyable than the GSX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back