Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #5,791 of 7,492
What is the dual PSU option? Amp looks beautiful as usual.

230v. Is that bound for me? :wink:
Thanks!
You can switch between tube rectification or regulated SS rectification.

It's actually bound for the UK!

very nice, what is the procedure to switch between the tube and SS PSU?

Do we have to turn the amp off and wait a few minutes for the tubes to power down? or could we just flip the PSU toggle switch when it is on? I am expecting that more likely the former is true.

Happy and excited for the lucky owner!
Thanks!
Here's the procedure copied from the instructions:

Dual psu
If you have this add-on there're two toggle switches on the back panel. Toggle up for tube
rectification or down for regulated SS rectification.
Important! Wait for 5 minutes before changing those switches after power off. This is to let the
capacitors discharge. So, don't power off and immediately toggle the switches. Always wait 5 minutes
first! When in SS mode you can leave the tube rectifier in the amp should you wish. It’ll be completely
off.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #5,792 of 7,492
Very cool! I like the idea of switchable tube or solid state rectification. It's exciting to see a new amp show up. I'm sure the new owner is looking forward to receiving it. @SonicTrance , don't be surprised if I email you about this for my amp :)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #5,793 of 7,492
Thanks!
You can switch between tube rectification or regulated SS rectification.

It's actually bound for the UK!

Thanks!
Here's the procedure copied from the instructions:

Dual psu
If you have this add-on there're two toggle switches on the back panel. Toggle up for tube
rectification or down for regulated SS rectification.
Important! Wait for 5 minutes before changing those switches after power off. This is to let the
capacitors discharge. So, don't power off and immediately toggle the switches. Always wait 5 minutes
first! When in SS mode you can leave the tube rectifier in the amp should you wish. It’ll be completely
off.

Nice, thanks for your response.

Ref to the tube rectifier, can it accept most rectifier tubes ie. 274B, U52, 5AR4, GZ34 etc. ? does changing it influence the sound significantly for Telemachus?

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #5,796 of 7,492
Nice, thanks for your response.

Ref to the tube rectifier, can it accept most rectifier tubes ie. 274B, U52, 5AR4, GZ34 etc. ? does changing it influence the sound significantly for Telemachus?
Yes you can use any 5V rectifier with a heater current 3A or less and 200+mA of output current.
The rectifier tubes have different amount of voltage drop across them which will alter the operating points for the audio tubes. Sound will change some with operating point.

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #5,797 of 7,492
Yes you can use any 5V rectifier with a heater current 3A or less and 200+mA of output current.
The rectifier tubes have different amount of voltage drop across them which will alter the operating points for the audio tubes. Sound will change some with operating point.

Telemachus and Odyssey can share tube rectifiers. :)

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #5,798 of 7,492
The beauty of tube rectification on Odyssey with Susvara is a very quiet background. The choice of rectifiers I can use is interesting. For example the Cossor 53ku used here presents warmth and lovely bass to contrast with the neutral / bright tone of the Telefunken EL156.

IMG_4651.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #5,799 of 7,492

This allows for a very good selection of tube rectifiers. To my knowledge there are very few 5volt rectifiers that require more than 3A to heat. And 200+mA output current is low enough that you can run shouldered 5U4G.

For comparison, the Glenn OTL can provide up to 5A, but in my experience, 5V rectifiers requiring more than 3A are nothing to get excited about. And the Glenn is quite power hungry, requiring 250+mA of output current, so no shouldered 5U4Gs.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #5,800 of 7,492
What is the dual PSU option? Amp looks beautiful as usual.

230v. Is that bound for me? :wink:
You have electricity there now? Dang. That's awesome! 🤣 🤣

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #5,802 of 7,492
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #5,803 of 7,492
Using nuclear now. Are you still on coal?
Hamsters and wheels. Really surprising how long they can go when you put Red Bull in their water bottle...

1657334923313.png

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,805 of 7,492
Here's a Telemachus complete!
This one has the dual psu option, Yamamoto sockets, Mundorf caps, Khozmo attenuator, impedance switch, big VU meters and a nice (huge) old school looking volume knob! :)

Very very nice! Now my Telemachus will have a brother across the pond! I absolutely love that volume knob. Please PM me the source! Also, why do those output transformers look bigger than mine, lol?? :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back