Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 11, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #5,086 of 7,539
@bcowen will go berserk!!! … 300 CDs worth of Marilyn Manson! Even if it is the same one/same one/same one to hell and gone! 😈🤣🤣
It's kind of like using multiple discs to perform the repeat function. I'm not seeing a problem with this. :relaxed:

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #5,087 of 7,539
It's kind of like using multiple discs to perform the repeat function. I'm not seeing a problem with this. :relaxed:

The arrival of the 300 CD player coincide with the new tubes. I don't know which is giving me more joy now. There is such a crispiness to CD sound, even from this Mega changer. It's a game changer. :ksc75smile:

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #5,088 of 7,539
GEC KT88 in Odyssey now. I'm speechless. There is no comparison. Sound good from the start. How do you adequately describe how a tube sound. These tubes presents to my ears, facets of sound that I didn't know to ask for. I think it will last 50,000 hours. :relaxed:

Date codes on the tubes are 1st tube:- 'XC Z' 2nd tube:- '7236 Z'.

IMG_4132.jpg

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #5,089 of 7,539
Just a note on the Yamamoto's sockets. These have wider holes and for older vintage tubes with skinny pins, the contact is not very good. Easy solution is to use socket savers which have wider pins, like I'm using it now with those GEC KT88.

The first 10 mins with the KT88 was sublime. It was a unicorn moment. Then the right channel started to crackle ... and eventually no sound. :scream: I swap the tubes left to right and the right channel gave out a loud pop that almost floored me. Reach for the power off button with the speed of light.

Then I remember the Miniwatt EL34 metal base needed socket savers to have better contact. So I did the same for these GEC KT88. Bingo, stereo sound again with pitch black background. The heavens parted and the rainbow appear. :smile:

So if you're using Yamamoto's sockets, do give your precious vintage tubes some shoes.

IMG_4133.jpg

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #5,090 of 7,539
This is what I will be watching on Sat night. I hear they have very good tube amplifiers.

image.png
Matt your newly arrived GEC KT88's are so timelessly handsome I recommend putting a tuxedo on them and bringing them to the opera house with you.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #5,091 of 7,539
GEC KT88 in Odyssey now. I'm speechless. There is no comparison. Sound good from the start. How do you adequately describe how a tube sound. These tubes presents to my ears, facets of sound that I didn't know to ask for. I think it will last 50,000 hours. :relaxed:

Date codes on the tubes are 1st tube:- 'XC Z' 2nd tube:- '7236 Z'.

If I recall correctly the "Z" denotes Hammersmith factory which is as good as it gets. Congrats, Matt. We obsessive, questing audiophiles often talk about "endgame this" or "endgame that" but I think as power tubes the GEC Hammersmith KT88's truly are!

The only other power tube I am still very interested to try is Telefunken EL156. Any comparative thoughts?

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #5,093 of 7,539
If I recall correctly the "Z" denotes Hammersmith factory which is as good as it gets. Congrats, Matt. We obsessive, questing audiophiles often talk about "endgame this" or "endgame that" but I think as power tubes the GEC Hammersmith KT88's truly are!

The only other power tube I am still very interested to try is Telefunken EL156. Any comparative thoughts?

From this source https://dalmura.com.au/static/MOV GEC date coding.pdf, we can deduce that X = 1966; C = March and Z = MO Valve Co. Hammersmith.

The other tube '7236 Z' that I don't know what it is.

There are some milestones in my audio journey but hearing GEC KT88 for the first time is quite a special milestone for me. It is a special sounding tube after all. It makes a simple song complex and a complex song simple. My mouth is agape at the vocals quality, soaring high notes and liquidity of the tone. Comparing with the Telefunken EL156 will be interesting but even comparing with the Tung Sol 6550 would be interesting. GEC KT88 is the cream of MOV power tubes and 6550 is Tung Sol's glory.

GEC KT88 with Tung Sol 6550.

IMG_4136.jpg

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #5,095 of 7,539
I like getting asked such questions at 5am in the morning. Just woke up and my mind's still untainted and unbiased. :)

Short answer is I won't give up Oblivion. On first listen of Odyssey, I detected Tomas's sound signature in Oblivion immediately - fast transients, clarity, details and soundstage. There are differences in these 2 amps though to make them unique and very appealing.

Oblivion
. soundstage - there are no peers. I've not heard a headphone amp with such spread and I've heard many amps both solid state and tube amps. The width is not detriment to the enjoyment of the song you're listening to. The spread out of instruments and singer gives a lovely pin point location of where they are coming from.
. it's cleaner, quieter and airier. Just a touch though more than Odyssey but at this level, just a touch makes a world of difference.
. on some passages of songs, I hear the impact and intensity of a solid state but wrap by a lovely bubble of tube tone.
. it's an amp I can leave it power on for very long and not worry about burning up precious NOS tubes.
. Bass surprise me. I don't talk about it much but when it hits I go wow. Can it really do that? :)

Odyssey
. tube tone is a killer. The best I've heard in any tube amps. A month out of having Odyssey, I'm still as attracted to the tone as a bee and his honey. It's an unholy obsession. I have to tear myself away from the music room to get some work done in the garden or to walk the Great Dane around the neighbourhood.
. NOS tubes rewards Odyssey. It just gets better with these penny sucking tubes. I'm currently using Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base and I'm melting with ecstasy.
. power and impact. The logarithmic volume potentiometer builds the volume up gradually with precision. When the dial is at 12 o'clock, you're not at half of full power yet. Very interesting. Logarithmic volume control is how the human ears hears it and not the linear method.
. Killer tone what can I say. I'm back repeating myself again. :)

So yup Oblivion will stay but Odyssey gets used most of the time - remember killer tone. Pure addiction ! :relaxed: :darthsmile:

Just curious, any other comments about what a logarithmic volume controller is and how it compares to a regular linear one? It doesn't also include a stepped attenuator, does it? Does it work in the oppisite way of increasing impedance on lower levels which also negatively impacts dynamics and soundstage on lower levels? That was what I experienced with a short length impedance wire that added resistance before my headphone cable, but that doesn't seem to be the result I get with linear potentiometer however. And mind to mention how it compares to Oblivion's volume pot?

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #5,096 of 7,539
Just curious, any other comments about what a logarithmic volume controller is and how it compares to a regular linear one? It doesn't also include a stepped attenuator, does it? Does it work in the oppisite way of increasing impedance on lower levels which also negatively impacts dynamics and soundstage on lower levels? That was what I experienced with a short length impedance wire that added resistance before my headphone cable, but that doesn't seem to be the result I get with linear potentiometer however. And mind to mention how it compares to Oblivion's volume pot?

I'll point you to this article that describes what a linear vs logarithmic volume control is and a stepped attenuator has nothing to do with it. Both can have smooth or stepped attenuator.
https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....-Amplifiers-Linear-Logarithmic-Volume-Control

Odyssey is the first and only amp that I have that has the logarithmic volume control. I find it precise especially at low volume. At halfway point of the volume dial, it's not half power yet but then the power comes on as you turn the knob. In Odyssey, it's a crescendo because it's a powerful amp.

Oblivion volume pot is linear and is very smooth. If I didn't get to experience Odyssey's logarithmic volume control, I would be happy with Oblivion.

Tomas can chime in on the pros and cons of each. If he didn't add it in Odyssey, I wouldn't know about it. :)

Apr 12, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #5,097 of 7,539
I'll point you to this article that describes what a linear vs logarithmic volume control is and a stepped attenuator has nothing to do with it. Both can have smooth or stepped attenuator.
https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....-Amplifiers-Linear-Logarithmic-Volume-Control

Odyssey is the first and only amp that I have that has the logarithmic volume control. I find it precise especially at low volume. At halfway point of the volume dial, it's not half power yet but then the power comes on as you turn the knob. In Odyssey, it's a crescendo because it's a powerful amp.

Oblivion volume pot is linear and is very smooth. If I didn't get to experience Odyssey's logarithmic volume control, I would be happy with Oblivion.

Tomas can chime in on the pros and cons of each. If he didn't add it in Odyssey, I wouldn't know about it. :)
For a powerful amplifier logarithmic pot is more comfortable to adjust low volumes (the most used range in this case) and faster for insane levels...
The gradation need to reflect the logarithmic curve and is in general more dificult to engrave in front panel but if you have none it is not an issue :wink: Generaly, it reflect a bit beter the perceived volume with log2 curve when trained..
Linear are the most used and visual hint is a bit easier at high volume...

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #5,098 of 7,539
For a powerful amplifier logarithmic pot is more comfortable to adjust low volumes (the most used range in this case) and faster for insane levels...
The gradation need to reflect the logarithmic curve and is in general more dificult to engrave in front panel but if you have none it is not an issue :wink:

That's a good point. I don't need markings on the front panel. I know Odyssey well enough to know where I have the volume with each of the headphones I have. :)

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #5,099 of 7,539

The contrast is not subtle. Differences are there between GEC KT88 and Telefunken EL156. The former is your typical MOV smooth, liquid tone but still preserving the KT88 transparency and awesome bass reverb. EL156 is more transparent, brighter and tighter. If you're like @OctavianH who loves the tone of EL34, then you will prefer the GEC KT88 over the TFK EL156.

There are degrees of transparency here. TFK EL156 > GEC KT88 > Mullard EL34 double D getters. On the transparency scale. EL34 is creamy and it's romanticism will transfixed you but the GEC KT88 is without peers. However the drum beats in 'Hey You' Pink Floyd on the EL156 is intoxicating. I get hooked when music sound so good. It's like a drug that stirs your senses.

I am still amazed at how photogenic Odyssey looks in time exposure. That's the TFK EL156 in there.

IMG_4143.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back