Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,501 of 7,539
Hi guys, just curious what the difference between oblivion and infinity?

Plan to drive Susvara, Meze Elite & Abyss headphone.

I've only heard and own the Oblivion and not the Infinity. On the neutral scale, it should go like this...

Neutral ------------------------------ more coloured
Citadel > Oblivion > Infinity / Eternity > Odyssey

I don't have Susvara but I will talk about He6se V2 because they are both in the same ball park of 83 dB and 50 ohms inefficiency. Oblivion drives He6se with no problem. Odyssey drives He6se with finesse and control. This combination is so good, I know I have found my ultimate tube amp. Susvara, Meze Elite and Abyss it should handle with no problems.

@audiargent is getting a more powerful version of Odyssey @ 10w into 50 ohms. Good lord. :relaxed:

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,502 of 7,539
I've only heard and own the Oblivion and not the Infinity. On the neutral scale, it should go like this...

Neutral ------------------------------ more coloured
Citadel > Oblivion > Infinity / Eternity > Odyssey

I don't have Susvara but I will talk about He6se V2 because they are both in the same ball park of 83 dB and 50 ohms inefficiency. Oblivion drives He6se with no problem. Odyssey drives He6se with finesse and control. This combination is so good, I know I have found my ultimate tube amp. Susvara, Meze Elite and Abyss it should handle with no problems.

@audiargent is getting a more powerful version of Odyssey @ 10w into 50 ohms. Good lord. :relaxed:
@UntilThen Potentially more. It will have impedance matching as well :)

And will put in a gain switch. I'm afraid if I have sensitive dynamic headphones plugged in.

I followed your advice and am upgrading caps to Mundorf.

Anything else you would suggest?

May I ask, using Odyssey, in terms of resolution how far the LCD-4 is from the HE-6SE V2?

I won't be buying any headphones soon, I think I will first experience the HE-6SE on Odyssey.

I alread have some mid-range (or beginners) headphones... HD660s, M1570 and the SASH Tres (my favourite at this point)...

Not sure if I should invest in a better DAC (I have Gungnir MB Unison).

My dream is Audio-GD R8 to Odyssey.
And for "Solid State" their Master 9 with the AS-1.

Also a Citadel seems an interesting proposition... :O Maybe later...

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #4,503 of 7,539
May I ask, using Odyssey, in terms of resolution how far the LCD-4 is from the HE-6SE V2?

Not a question of resolution because they both resolves very well.

In comparison, LCD4 has less treble, is denser in texture and darker / more room filling bass. LCD4 also sound more upfront. He6se is more 7 seats away from band as opposed to LCD4 3 seats away.

Bass on He6se is also tighter.

For some reason I just use He6se all the time while the LCD4 sits on the stand.

I’m getting back my He1000se today with new pads and leather band. I am eager to hear the He1000se and He6se side by side.

Your Odyssey will turn out great. With Sowter transformers, Mundorf caps and Yamamoto sockets, I can’t think of anything else you need. Just one thing - the back rotary switch for EL11 or 6sl7 would be better with a flick switch. When the amp was new, I would be cursing and screaming trying to turn that rotary knob in that confine space.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #4,504 of 7,539
He1000se returns to the fold with new leather headband and earpads. I had miss it for 2 months. Miss how good it sound with Odyssey. This will usher in the New Year which is just 6 hours away.

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #4,505 of 7,539
He1000se returns to the fold with new leather headband and earpads. I had miss it for 2 months. Miss how good it sound with Odyssey. This will usher in the New Year which is just 6 hours away.

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg
Side by side comparison with HE-6SE on Odyssey now that you have them both up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #4,506 of 7,539
Side by side comparison with HE-6SE on Odyssey now that you have them both up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmm after an hour with both headphones and Odyssey I know the answer already. YMMV. :) However it will only be reveal 2 days later, so that my brain has time to adjust to both and there will be no bias (personal).

What surprised me is how similar they sound but there are differences. Subtle but definitely noticeable.

IMG_3786 (1).jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #4,509 of 7,539
A recap of 2021. These are the gear that gave me the most joy. With the exception of Yggdrasil and Oblivion, they are all here. I was right at the start of 2021 when I plan my headphones on He1000se and LCD4. They are all I need. HD800 and He6se V2 are just there to add other flavours. :wink:

IMG_3796.jpg

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #4,510 of 7,539
A recap of 2021. These are the gear that gave me the most joy. With the exception of Yggdrasil and Oblivion, they are all here. I was right at the start of 2021 when I plan my headphones on He1000se and LCD4. They are all I need. HD800 and He6se V2 are just there to add other flavours. :wink:
Hey.. if 2022 is anything like that it will be a good one 🙂.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #4,511 of 7,539
Remind me again what need has to do with any of this? 🤣🤣

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #4,512 of 7,539
Hey.. if 2022 is anything like that it will be a good one 🙂.

Indeed. I went overboard in 2021. I think I started with Questyle CMA 12, v280, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Auralic Taurus Mk 2, La Figaro 339i, Elekit TU-8200, Odyssey, He1000se & LCD4.

Not to mention the tubes purchased.

Not sure what will happen in 2022 yet. I have no plans.

Remind me again what need has to do with any of this? 🤣🤣

It's a strange hobby. We're driven not by needs but by wants. There are many ways to enjoy music. He1000se off iPhone or He1000se off Odyssey. It's a myth that this HiFiMan doesn't need much amplification to sound good. To my ears, Wa22 drives He1000se very well but with Odyssey, it's ridiculous. It's not just power but control and tonality.

Oblivion lives in the shadow which is pretty unfair because He1000se sounds very good with Oblivion. Even better than with Wa22. All this from my perspective of course. :)

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #4,513 of 7,539
I found what I am looking for. :) New pads for He1000se turns it into a new headphone. Haven't use the Siemens EL11 in ages so it's on now in UL mode with feedback applied. Sittard GZ34 rectifier and Tung Sol 6550 1960s make up the combination.

This is the setup for me. I can't get enough of it. DAC used at the moment is NAD M51 but Yggdrasil will be better.

IMG_3813.jpg

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #4,514 of 7,539
Oblivion lives in the shadow which is pretty unfair because He1000se sounds very good with Oblivion. Even better than with Wa22. All this from my perspective of course. :)
Looks like you may have finally found the right sound signature for you? This is what I found after the experimenting I don't really want to keep changing it any more I'm liking what I hear so why bother! Of course I'm not saying stop obtaining new amps, for people that want please carry on LOL!

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,515 of 7,539
I found what I am looking for. :) New pads for He1000se turns it into a new headphone. Haven't use the Siemens EL11 in ages so it's on now in UL mode with feedback applied. Sittard GZ34 rectifier and Tung Sol 6550 1960s make up the combination.
Can you hear any difference with and without feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back