Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 14, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #2,926 of 7,492
Yamamoto sockets is a great choice even though it's expensive. However Tomas's suggestion to using Sowter transformers is pretty spot on. I don't even know the brand Sowter then. I only know Lundahl but Lundahl wouldn't do custom transformers unless the order is above 100. :)
Got to love the custom amp builds. Your amp will last you a lifetime and you already own gobs of tubes.
Just happy listening now :L3000:

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #2,927 of 7,492
Be careful with that GE tube, the GE inquisition will soon punish you. :)

That GE is a special GE. I'm using it now to drive the GEC KT66. I'd recommend Odyssey wholeheartedly, even if you have to sell your cats and dogs... or sell Bcowen.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,928 of 7,492
Got to love the custom amp builds. Your amp will last you a lifetime and you already own gobs of tubes.
Just happy listening now :L3000:

It's a few years in the making. I dream about Berlin for quite a while. It's no longer just Berlin. It's Odyssey now. When I heard it for the first time yesterday, I knew then that it was all worth it.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,929 of 7,492
That GE is a special GE. I'm using it now to drive the GEC KT66. I'd recommend Odyssey wholeheartedly, even if you have to sell your cats and dogs... or sell Bcowen.
Selling me would yield negative net proceeds. Perhaps parting me out would be more lucrative. :smile:

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,930 of 7,492
Selling me would yield negative net proceeds. Perhaps parting me out would be more lucrative. :smile:
I hate to tell you but he only keeps you to dig him out of the bunker.. or blame when he misses the hole for the umpteenth time 🤣.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,931 of 7,492
As long as we've veered slightly off topic, allow me the liberty to recommend the below album. It was recorded in DXD and if you even remotely enjoy piano and vocal jazz, the combination of Ms. Barber's phenomenal artistry and pristine, state of the art recording process should enable Odyssey and other high end gear to deliver their best:

Aug 14, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #2,932 of 7,492
As long as we've veered slightly off topic, allow me the liberty to recommend the below album. It was recorded in DXD and if you even remotely enjoy piano and vocal jazz, the combination of Ms. Barber's phenomenal artistry and pristine, state of the art recording process should enable Odyssey and other high end gear to deliver their best:

Thanks for veering off. I've heard Patricia Barber songs but this is great. On Yggdrasil > Odyssey > LCD4, I was transfixed right from the opening note. Sounded good even on Youtube. Now let me see if I can find it on Tidal.

Yup I found it on Roon / Tidal. :)
IMG_2892.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,933 of 7,492
Thanks for veering off. I've heard Patricia Barber songs but this is great. On Yggdrasil > Odyssey > LCD4, I was transfixed right from the opening note. Sounded good even on Youtube. Now let me see if I can find it on Tidal.

Yup I found it on Roon / Tidal. :)
Sweet UT! And it get's better:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #2,934 of 7,492
Day 3 of Odyssey. I discovered that I can go UL mode with 6SL7 with no distortion. What a blast.

After 2 days with Odyssey, I'm getting a sense of what she can do, especially when compared to Chameleon. Chameleon has a grandiose scale. It's unbelievably grand and large in soundstage. Feels like an orchestra performing in an open prairie. The sense of spaciousness is uncanny. Odyssey also has a very wide soundstage but just not as wide as Chameleon. However Odyssey's ability to pick out notes with precision is startlingly enjoyable. With an overwhelmingly sweet and clear treble, a midrange that makes you want to sample every diva of any genres and the control and grip it has on bass and the lower register, my attention is totally fixed on Odyssey... and I have forgotten that Chameleon is sitting next to it. This is totally unfair. If I only had Chameleon here (alone), I would be transfixed listening to music but with Odyssey, I'm transformed !

Now to check myself in the mirror to see if I have become Optimus Prime.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,937 of 7,492
The updated music room. Destiny cannot fit in the rack because the 300b tubes are too tall to fit in the lower shelves and the top shelves are occupied by higher ranking Autobots.

IMG_2882.jpg
You obviously need another rack.

Glad to help, boss. :smile:

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #2,938 of 7,492
There's no room for another rack ! The shoebox of priceless tubes has to go. The CD player has to go. Schiit Eitr to be stack with Yggdrasil or I've to upgrade Yggy. Elekit probably has to go too. To make way for a Roon nuclues and a power conditioner / filter. Hopefully there's room for one more tube amp in 2023 but that has a lower priority than an Abyss or Susvara.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #2,939 of 7,492
Radiotron 807 in action and I love the tone of these tubes ! Can't wait to hear it in Odyssey but I must wait for 5u4g rectifier. Bryant if you are looking in, get yourself a pair of these tubes. Some nice ones in eBay of various brands. I will pass you a pair of adapters.

807 in Chameleon is just beautiful sound and looks. Those are skinny 6FD7 drivers. With a Sittard GZ34.

I've set to 50 mA to be safe. Although it can be set to 60 mA as advised by Eric.

IMG_2896.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #2,940 of 7,492
Anyone can be happy with either of these 2 tube amps. It will give a run with those established names and I've heard Wa33 and Auris Nirvana. If cost is no object, then definitely Odyssey because the execution is better, in terms of quietness and tone refinement but at the same time slam. Tube tone wise they are both so good.

Not forgetting Oblivion in the lower shelf. I had a quick listen amidst going from Odyssey to Chameleon. Oblivion still sound amazing and I love it. Bass is obviously less than Chameleon and Odyssey but Oblivion soundstage, clarity and details are outstanding. It's a great contrast with the other 2 amps.

IMG_2897.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back