OBH-11SE question and misc
Oct 12, 2001 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nico

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm think getting a headphone amp and am considering the Creek OBH-11SE ($299 from Elusive Disc).

Is the OBH-11SE a good fit for the Sony SCD-C333ES and the MDR-CD3000?

Also, which ICs work well with this amp?

Thanks!!

Oct 12, 2001 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Nico,

Word of advice, everyone seems to say that an OBH-11 + OBH-11SE power supply gives the same performance as the OBH-11SE. If you don't need the dual headphone sockets then you may save a bit by buying the OBH-11 + OBH-11SE PSU.

Oct 12, 2001 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I say if you are getting the OBH11+ upgraded PSU. It might be more worth it to just get the OBH-11SE. Its juz a mere $30 more.
The xtra headphone jack is worth it.
It matches headphone impedence better.
Anyway if you are into faster pace, more dynamic music, the Creek is the way to go. It suits almost all cans with ease.

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
Nico,

Word of advice, everyone seems to say that an OBH-11 + OBH-11SE power supply gives the same performance as the OBH-11SE. If you don't need the dual headphone sockets then you may save a bit by buying the OBH-11 + OBH-11SE PSU.

The OBH-11SE is a completely different amplifier than the standard OBH-11. The SE is a discrete component class A design whereas the standard OBH11 is an IC OPAMP based class AB design. They sound similar before they're properly broken in and without using GOOD cables and source components, BUT once broken in and with GOOD cables and GOOD source, the SE is more revealing, less grainy, better "black" between each instrument in the orchestra, etc. Don't be fooled! There is a MARKED difference@!@!
smily_headphones1.gif
I lived with both for at least a month and did extensive testing even with the standard OBH11 and the PS2 power supply. The OBH-11SE IS A BETTER AMPLIFIER!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth

The OBH-11SE is a completely different amplifier than the standard OBH-11. The SE is a discrete component class A design whereas the standard OBH11 is an IC OPAMP based class AB design. They sound similar before they're properly broken in and without using GOOD cables and source components, BUT once broken in and with GOOD cables and GOOD source, the SE is more revealing, less grainy, better "black" between each instrument in the orchestra, etc. Don't be fooled! There is a MARKED difference@!@!
smily_headphones1.gif
I lived with both for at least a month and did extensive testing even with the standard OBH11 and the PS2 power supply. The OBH-11SE IS A BETTER AMPLIFIER!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nico: Listen to the man.

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 7
If you're thinking about buying from elusive disc, it's a good idea to get on their e-mail list ASAP. They run weekly specials that are only available to their list, and sometimes their hardware is discounted. I got the OBH-11se from them for $270 with free shipping.

I was using the MIT MI-330+ series II IC with the Creek, and it worked well. (Source was Rotel 955 into Theta TLC into Theta Chroma 396 (later replaced by ART/DIO), Elco DC-32 Digital IC's. Cans were HD-600. The OBH-11se took about two weeks before the sound stabilized in my system. Correct polarity of the power supply plug into the electric socket was important to getting the amp to sound right (won't matter as much if source is veiled). At its best, this can be a very dynamic amp. Excels at fine detail. Doesn't have the midrange "warmth" of a tube unit. Very nice amp at the price.

Oct 12, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If you're thinking about buying from elusive disc, it's a good idea to get on their e-mail list ASAP. They run weekly specials that are only available to their list, and sometimes their hardware is discounted. I got the OBH-11se from them for $270 with free shipping.
Correct polarity of the power supply plug into the electric socket was important to getting the amp to sound right (won't matter as much if source is veiled). At its best, this can be a very dynamic amp. Excels at fine detail. Doesn't have the midrange "warmth" of a tube unit. Very nice amp at the price.

I have to agree with your assessment, and $270 is a great price by the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back