O2 with HE-500
Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zoom25

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to hear some impressions as to how the O2 pairs with the HE-500. Also whether the O2 can power the HE-500 or not, or to what extent. I would also like how to know the O2 compares with Schiit Asgard, Lyr, NFB 12.1 etc.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 5
The O2 should power the HE-500 just fine.  I tested the stock O2 with DAC using a pair of LCD-2 and LCD-3 headphones and while it was not the loudest system I have heard it was able to get plenty loud.  I think you can even specify what gain you want on the O2 so you can have a little more voltage for less sensitive headphones, but I would not worry about not having enough power.

I just finished some testing of a Xonar Essance One and really liked it.  It drove all of the LCD headphones I have quite well and sounded pretty darn transparent.  If that is in your budget and the connectors are adequate you may want to consider the Xonar.  I place it a step above the Music Hall 25.2 Amp / DAC in regards to sound quality.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 5
I had a Lyr and an O2 that I went back and forth on with a pair of HE-500. I sold the Lyr. There wasn't enough difference to warrant the extra cost. I ended up selling the HE-500 for other reasons but I thought the O2 handled them just fine.

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the all the help so far. I was going to pair the amp with my Marantz CD5004. Does anyone know how much power the O2 has, specifically at 32 ohms. Whichever amp I end up going with, It'll be for the HE-500. Although I would still like to know how the O2 pairs with the Denon headphones (2/5/7000). The impedance of O2 is quite low and should work well in theory with the Denon's but would be nice to hear from experience. Also I have heard that the bass through O2 is lacking, especially in comparison to the Lyr. I would love to know how you guys find the bass with the O2 vs other amps like asgard or lyr. Also I've heard that the mids are a bit too thin on HE-500. Any comments on that? Majority of my music is electronica with some hip hop, pop and jazz....if that makes a difference. Also how do you guys find the soundstage on the O2? I've heard the Lyr is pretty bad in comparison to other amps, even the asgard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back