O1 Headphone AMP/DAC ===> Octavart
Feb 20, 2008 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I received a sample of the O1 Headphone AMP/DAC from Fang at Head-Direct.com. It is a compact unit measuring approximately 4.5" wide, by 6" deep, and 2.5" of height.

The unit has three inputs on the back, these are:

- Optical Cable
- Coaxial Cable
- Two(2) RCA for analog inputs

The back also has the IEC power input and the On/Off switch. Overall it appears to be a well made and executed unit. Here are some pictures, please click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

The O1 Headphone AMP/DAC is renamed as the Octavart. You can read more about the $299 Octavart at: Head-Direct.com

I will be spending sometime w/ the O1 Headphone AMP/DAC over the next days and I hope to post my impressions. So far after about 20 minutes of playing I can say that I really like this unit. This unit would be perfect as an office rig, college student, or a den unit. At the moment I am feeding it Apple Lossless Files from my computer via the Chaintech AV710 sound Card and an optical cable.

The headphones in use are the AKG K701 and the Arturo Sandoval's Trumpet sounds very liquid and mellow. I am surprised I am using the word mellow describing Arturo's sound, he is a fantastic horn player but at times he goes wild and the music becomes a tad "metalic" sounding.

This is not the first I have heard of this unit since HiFlight owns one and he likes it a lot. However it is not an unit that many here own, as demonstrated by not finding any reviews or comments using the search function. Anyways I will continue listening and will post additional view and comments over the next couple of days.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 136
I have spent the last two days listening exclusively to this amp/dac. My source continues to be the Apple Lossless files in my Dell Computer. I continue to use an optical cable from my Chaintech soundcard to feed the re-named Octavart and the cans are an AKG K701.

For such an inexpensive unit to have the instrument separation and placement, with such a level of detail borders on the un-real. I look forward to Mike's (tyrion) mini-meet this coming Saturday so that others listen to this unit and provide additional feedback.

The one area that is disconcerting is when the source starts sending its signal to the re-badged Octavart. During first few seconds you hear a clicking, at first I thought my Arcam's transport was damaged. Then I realized it was a switching noise for the Octavart in re-acquiring the signal (going from the optical to the coaxial).

I will post again in the next couple of days. Hope to use the AKG K501 and the RS-1 headphones for my next impressions.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one area that is disconcerting is when the source starts sending its signal to the re-badged Octavart. During first few seconds you hear a clicking, at first I thought my Arcam's transport was damaged. Then I realized it was a switching noise for the Octavart in re-acquiring the signal (going from the optical to the coaxial).

I think that's normal. Both Lite DAC-60s I have owned did that when switching from coaxial to optical and back. I always thought it was a sign of high quality, very distinct audible feedback.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 136
Miguel...
I thought you would like it!!!! It continues to be one of my favorite amps. A superb instrument.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 136
This is a very fine amp with digital input capability that should be seriously considered when searching for a desktop amp. It is a very accurate and clean-sounding amp. Headroom and dynamics are outstanding. Mucho power for inefficient phones.

It is far more amp than the price would indicate.

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 136
For those interested I have found the specs for this unit.

Detailed specs:
Power consumption: 2W (quiescent), 6W (MAX), 110v
Adapted load impedance: 32-600 ohms
Max output: 1000mw x 2 @32 ohms to 64 ohms
250mw x 2 @ 250 ohms
120mw x 2 @600 ohms
Power bandwidth: 6Hz -80kHz (+0/-3dB)
THD&N (at rated output): 0.004%
SNR: 98dB
Output voltage swing: 10Vrms
Input impedance: 10Kohms
Net weight: 1.20kg

DAC section:
Power consumption: 1W
Supported digital formats: 16bit / 20bit / 24bit
@ 32khz / 44.1khz / 48khz / 96khz Optical fiber(Toslink) & coaxial(RCA)
8x oversampling digital filter
Total distortion: -96dB
Dynamic range: 106dB
SNR: 106dB

Specifications
Model number: Amp-DAC
Dimensions: 112x67x185mm
Power supply: Internal

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp looks interesting...have you guys tried any Grado with the amp?

I tried the O1 with Audio Technica AD900's at Headphonic in Australia, as well as briefly at home as a loaner. The noise floor was too high for my liking, and I went with an Arietta instead. Most Grado models have similar sensitivity to the AD900, so it might not be the best choice.

The noise floor was pretty flat with volume though, so it wouldn't be a problem with less sensitive phones.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the O1 with Audio Technica AD900's at Headphonic in Australia, as well as briefly at home as a loaner. The noise floor was too high for my liking, and I went with an Arietta instead. Most Grado models have similar sensitivity to the AD900, so it might not be the best choice.

The noise floor was pretty flat with volume though, so it wouldn't be a problem with less sensitive phones.

I have used it w/ the Grado RS-1 and have not heard the noise. Now Boomana has the amp, I look forward to her mpressions.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used it w/ the Grado RS-1 and have not heard the noise. Now Boomana has the amp, I look forward to her mpressions.

I have been listening to my O1-DAC with the new Yuin OK-1 phones that I am evaluating. It sounds superb with them and no noise that I can hear. The 2 work very well together.

The OK series are convertible from IEM to earbud by a removable stem. Quite a clever idea for situations requiring isolation.

I have yet to find any of my phones that do not seem to be compatible with the O1.

IMO, it is a great amp.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 136
Looking forward to more impressions =D
This looks like exactly what I need. A good dac/amp combo.. small footprint, and affordable.

One question though - if you take a optical out signal from your sound-card, will it still output a analog signal for my speakers?

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the O1 Amp (w/o DAC) is the same as this one, only without the DAC? If so, it's prob a good deal for $160, right?

it should be the same.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 136
I have now had this amp (O1 DAC) for over 2 weeks, and it has been a joy to listen to. Really takes the veil away compared to the use of my main amp (Arcam 8se, which I thought gave a really good sound anyway). I have been so pleased with it, the current model is now part of my hifi. And have bought another one for the use of the computer. As I was considering using this amp for the computer and I’m now getting another one for the hifi. For a UK buyer, £150 or $299 it’s a real bargain. I will soon have a full review on this Amp.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back