NYC Traditonal November Meet Saturday Nov. 12th
Oct 27, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #181 of 549
Scotch tasting would be cool, but like at my house, and with power strips, other than Danny, other people would actually have to bring it
evil_smiley.gif

I know we can count on SIBurning to bring some 50 year old, translucent worm bearing, authentic Tequila.

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #182 of 549
DBT scotch testing?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I ran a blind vodka test at my house not too long ago. Winners (out of 10 or so readily available brands)

1) Zyr
2) Van Gogh
3) Grey Goose

They only problem with these contests is that your judgement gets progressively worse the farther down the list you go.

Eh. OK, it's OT. I'll go
frown.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #183 of 549
Hey, the meet will be over early enough, I'm up for a little Scotch and cigar session apre-meet. Anybody have any thoughts for a location we can hang and sip that has a portch or something I can stinck up with my stoggies?

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #184 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Scotch tasting would be cool, but like at my house,

Ooo, ooo, does that mean that we could do it at your house! I'll be happy to bring a couple of good flavors, and I promise not to stink up your livingroom.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #185 of 549
I'm nix on the scotch, but I wouldn't mind blowing some stogie smoke into immtbiker's turntable gears!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #187 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Lagavulin, Laphraoig, Ardbegg, Dalmore, Balvenie, Bhunnahabain, Highland Park and Talisker are my top recommendations...

Dontcha just hate narrow minded people.
eggosmile.gif

The squat little bottles of Glenrothes are pretty good. I haven't developed a taste yet for really smoky brews, but I DO find the Ardbeg a very intregueing taste. Definately a great sipping scotch. Very refined and complex.

(God, I sound like a friggn conoisseur. Don't let it fool you, I'm a total peasant with a few expensive tastes. Believe me; pull my finger and I fart.)

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #188 of 549
How's about we form a group of 15 people who are serious about the Scotch-fest. We designate each person to bring 1 bottle of a particular brand.
We can have a tasting session in my tiny apartment (5 minutes from the meet), but cigars, are out of the question (wife's rules...along with the turntable gears {which mine don't have any, except in the sealed VPI motor assy}.)
I have a beautiful park across the street from my house, but it will be dark by 5 o'clock, if we change the clocks back. So we can use the park for an hour, and then move it inside, but no more than 15, and not enough drinking to make anyone drivng impaired. Brownies can and will be used against you.

Disclaimer:
There will not be any door prizes given out, and you must raise the seat before peeing. Farting is unacceptable, except in an emergency situation only. You must sign a waiver, absolving the owner of the apartment of any accident or insurance liabilities, and the use of banners and tazers/stun guns
eek.gif
are forbidden. It will be a carry in/carry out situation, like State Parks, with the exception of all 15 bottles of Scotch, which, for the safety of my guests, must be left on my premises, for future partaking by the owner of the apartment (kidding). OK? Good.
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #189 of 549
Quote:

Disclaimer:
There will not be any door prizes given out, and you must raise the seat before peeing. Farting is unacceptable, except in an emergency situation only. You must sign a waiver, absolving the owner of the apartment of any accident or insurance liabilities, and the use of banners and tazers/stun guns
eek.gif
are forbidden. It will be a carry in/carry out situation, like State Parks, with the exception of all 15 bottles of Scotch, which, for the safety of my guests, must be left on my premises, for future partaking by the owner of the apartment (kidding). OK? Good.
cool.gif

You've been reading to damn many trade show contracts!Leave the bottle there! Price of admittion I guess. I might be forced to drink a bottles worth. (Fortunately, I'll be staying at the hotel/convention center, and could walk back in pretty much any shape.)

This should be fun, maybe we should start a thread in the Members Lounge to coordinate bottles so we don't get too many duplications.

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #190 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I'm nix on the scotch, but I wouldn't mind blowing some stogie smoke into immtbiker's turntable gears!
evil_smiley.gif

An interesting experiment -- but you'll have to buy the turntable first (cash only) and carry it across the road to the park before you light up the stogie (house rules). Be sure to post your notes on the effect of the stogie on the TT's SQ. Of course, we'll let you use a wee dram to fortify yourself against the astronomical expenditure.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #191 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
You've been reading to damn many trade show contracts!

I learned from the best
wink.gif

--------------------------------

If we do want to do this, and do want to start a separate thread, then I think we need a code word for scotch, so the thread doesn't get closed down.

How about Hyabusa? Everyone brings 1 Hyabusa with different upgrades. We could have the McClellan Hyabusa, and the Isle of Jura Hyabusa. No one would ever catch on.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #192 of 549
Quote:

Scotch tasting would be cool, but like at my house, and with power strips, other than Danny, other people would actually have to bring it
evil_smiley.gif

I know we can count on SIBurning to bring some 50 year old, translucent worm bearing, authentic Tequila.

Not too keen on Hyabusa. Prefer single barrel Irish whisky, or American whisky or bourbon. I'll bring that mezcal if someone would just help me figure out the resistor values to debug my DIY time transporter. 1955 was a good year. Was it?

Attendee and equipment list just updated
http://home.nyc.rr.com/stevieo/headfi_meet.html
Don't forget, we need extension cords and cables

Oct 28, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #194 of 549
SiBurning...I like how you edited the first paragraph of your attendee and equipment list link.
cool.gif
Thanks for your extra efforts.

Mr. Slacker, do you have the nametag "sitch-e-a-shun" sorted out? If not, I have about 50 tags left over from the April NYC meet. Let me know.

If people are bring various Hyabusa's, let's get serious and assign "upgrades". We don't want anyone paying anymore than other people (for example $50 Triangle Brand Hyabusa, compared to $15 Johnnie Texas Walker Hyabusa)
I'll leave that to the experts. Chime in, if you want to do the organizing. Maybe if we PM SiBurning, he can make a separate addition to his gear list, so we don't have to start a new thread that might offend others.

T minus 2 weeks, people. This will be the fastest organized large scale meet in the history of Head-Fi.

Oct 28, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #195 of 549
Quote:

Mr. Slacker, do you have the nametag "sitch-e-a-shun" sorted out? If not, I have about 50 tags left over from the April NYC meet. Let me know.

Take them, 50 will be enough. i'll give $1
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back