NYC Semi-Electrostatic Mini Meet - 8.28.05
Aug 29, 2005 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
I guess I'm the only one who's a beast enough to start posting so soon after this minimeet, especially crazy considering that I lugged my desktop to Oski's place and back - setup took me awhile, lol!

Anyhow, first I'd like to thank Oski for graciously hosting a second minimeet so soon after his first. I missed the first one, so I'm really glad I made this one. I know Romanee was looking forward to going to Oski Part Two once the new portable amp wave blew in, and indeed we had a spankin' new Headamp AE-1 on the premises. No Hornet, but that will have to wait for the Fall meet, eh?
wink.gif

Now these are only my shotgun impressions, so take them with a grain of salt. But with my personal listening preferences, and using 320AAC tracks from my ipod 3G 40gig with sik din lineout with right angle Xin mini adapter, into either a KSC-35 or a Senn PX250 (noise cancelling is cool) my own consensus is as follows, from "best" to "worst" -

Worst - Headamp AE-1. Don't kill me! But I couldn't help it. This amp seemed too distant and was playing "find the instruments" with me. It's one thing to be like a Sennheiser and be in the audience, but it's another altogether to be in the audience and having the curtain down, and you're peeking under the curtain and seeing people shuffling around back there. You know something's going on, but you can't quite tell.

Portaphile V2. This is the 2nd gen Portaphile. I heard the Portaphile V2x2 at the big NYC meet and that one kicked butt, and I hear a Portaphile V3 is coming out soon. But this V2 holds its own and presents everything in the forward manner that I prefer when walking around town to cut through the ambient noise. I also felt like all the information on the tracks were making their way into my ear.

JMT CHA-47. This baby brings the bass, hehe! I told you it would be a biased ranking! Anyhow, this lil guy was also forward, probably the most forward, and detail cut through the mix too - but it could be due to the highs being a bit too bumped. Really over the top with Koss KSC-35!

Evilfire Cmoy. I heard this right at the end of the meet, and on the spot tried to buy it from Oski because it kicked so much butt (and the CHA-47 is on loan, it's not mine!) Too bad he got it as a gift so he couldn't sell it! This thing has all the things I like about the CHA-47, but is smoother up top and warmer in the mids, so the overall effect is less fatiguing. Melikes! This is telling, that there is a certain point where a simple amp sometimes beats a "busy" amp.

RS Audio Emmeline SR-71. This is simplicity in a military box. Great match with the KSC-35, not so much with the Senns. The reason being that with both cans you could tell the realism/detail blew everything listed above away. Also, the noise floor is WAY lower than the CHA-47 and Cmoy. But the KSC-35 brings the bass to the table, and Senns don't. With the Senns you could tell the SR-71 wasn't as bassy as...

Best - The Headroom Coda with Desktop Reference Module. Nice bass! Plus low noise floor and just as good detail as the SR-71. The best overall sounding portable amp of the bunch. The only problem? It's not practical as a portable amp. It's a tad biggish, and the Desktop Module will suck your battery dry quicker than you can say "Hawaii-Five-O!"

----------------

Oski had us listen to this "Best rig under 50 bucks" thing (he has a thread on it somewhere) and he was right - for a usb Turtle Island sound thingy for 20 bucks, and a Senn HD201 for 20 bucks, you can't find better sound. Well, unless you substitute the HD201 for a KSC-35, but that's my personal preference lol. The headphone out on that thing doubles as an optical digital out, so that's another bonus. Oski said that it might not be the most jitter-free alternative out there tho, but just plugging into a laptop and listening to some nice euphoric tunes, this usb thing is hard to beat for the price. I'm glad I heard the HD201 through this rig, because my initial impressions of it straight into, well, anything else, were very unfavorable!

----------------

I'll let other folks talk about my home rig (DEFINITELY not portable, or even transportable, but somehow I trucked it over) which consisted of my 0404, my Solo, and my HP2, all modded. But I'll say this - I came away reaffirming what I like to hear, and the fact that my rig gives it to me. Yay!

-----------------

Yep I said Semi-Electrostatic meet. Because Lan brought his baby orpheus rig, and his AKG K4. The Orpheus was nice and bassy as usual, if I had to go electrostat I would seriously consider the HE60 as a personal preference. But I don't think I groove on the electrostat sound, it seems to be superfast for me (other than the Daddy Orpheus rig, which is so organic it's scary!) The K4 just didn't seem to mesh with my ears on anything I tried it on, which is too bad, since Oski and Lan liked it. To my ears, the highs and mids were nice in an electrostatic way, but the lows just seemed wonky and muddy.

------------------

Pinkie still spits out all other cans but the Grados. It hated the K4, and still isn't on speaking terms with the Sony SA5K, lol! But you know, I liked the fun factor of the recabled Alessandro MS-2i on my rig, and the recabled DT880 was an eye-opener, especially since I didn't like the stock DT880. The recabled version reminded me of a wide open Darth Beyer - it still brings the bass, folks! But the highs/mids are nice and clear and the soundstage is wide too. Dare I say, it was a "fun" alternative to the HP2? No joke! Not as accurate but very engaging. That goes for the MS-2i as well. For the price, either of these cans is hard to beat - recabled of course!

------------

Maybe it's just the Kevin Gilmore sound and I don't match or something, but folks say the Gilmore Lite (this one was the new version) is a perfect match with Grados. But let's just say that on my rig the Solo was a better match for my ears.
wink.gif

------------------

That should do it for now, I'll report later as things come to me and such. Thanks again to Oski, and Lan and Romanee and JJCha (he double-dipped on minimeets this weekend!) for an entertaining afternoon!

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 28
Before people start clamouring for pictures...unfortunately the battery wasn't charged on the camera, so we took some hasty shots right before people packed up:

Jahn's "transportable" setup.
CIMG2184.jpg

Let go my Eggos (tm).
CIMG2183.jpg

Stack o'portables. The Curious George cmoy was a Valentines gift from the girlfriend...which really caught Jahn's fancy (the amp that is).
CIMG2179.jpg

The concensus was on the Coda with Desktop Module. Unlike Jahn, I liked the AE-1 with Lan's K4.
CIMG2173.jpg

Lan modeling the Bauhaus stylings of the K4.
CIMG2182.jpg

Jahn, jjcha, and lan checking out what's under the hood.
CIMG2170.jpg

Jahn's custom HP-2 case (please inquire for wholesale prices).
CIMG2181.jpg

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 28
CIMG2181.jpg

Jahn, that is so ghetto
wink.gif
!

I have another aluminum case more deserving of your HP-2's. Shoot me a PM.

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
CIMG2181.jpg

Jahn, that is so ghetto
wink.gif
!

I have another aluminum case more deserving of your HP-2's. Shoot me a PM.

Haha! Actually I still use the other Aluminum case you gave me, it's just that the Desktop PC was so heavy I couldn't lift and bring the aluminum case as well! But even with the case, I still wrap the HP2 in baggies, so any errant foam bits from the case don't fall into the housing and merge with the drivers.
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW Oski uses those cases too, those are great and everyone should transport stuff with them!

Aug 29, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 28
Here's my original thread on the ultimate $50 setup with the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro and the Senn HD201:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=turtle+beach

With the likes of the HP-2 and Baby O at the meet, people weren't all that interested in hearing a pair of cheap plastic $20 headphones and $20 soundcard. But I twisted everybody's arms to have a go.

Right now I'm actually listening to the Curious George Cmoy, which I haven't done for a while and I'm struck by how much fun of a listen it is. It's lively, punchy, smooth, and curiously good for sub-$75 amplification in an Altoids tin.

Audiophilia on a shoe string budget together with Jahn's Ziplock headphone solutions combine to form Team Ghetto-Fi!

Aug 29, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 28
Jahn, I know you've been eager to listen to the Gilmore Lite...and I understand this is the first time you gave it a go?

So....how is it?
biggrin.gif

Also another inevitable question: how does the AE-1 compare to the Gilmore Lite?
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Jahn, I know you've been eager to listen to the Gilmore Lite...and I understand this is the first time you gave it a go?

So....how is it?
biggrin.gif

Also another inevitable question: how does the AE-1 compare to the Gilmore Lite?
biggrin.gif

Ehe, well actually to be absolutely honest, the Gilmore Lite wasn't my cup of tea. How do I put this? It sounded very "solid state" in the way a transistor radio would sound, when compared to my Solo. Hmm that doesn't sound very fair. But it just seemed robotic, artificial, when compared to the Solo. To be fair, the comparative net worth of something like my Solo is around a thousand bucks (and my amp is modded even above that particular Solo model) versus the Gilmore Lite, which is 300. But I dunno, it just wasn't pleasing in the way that I would want to drop 300 to have it go with my Grados. The AE-1 sounded completely different than the Gilmore Lite, but again it wasn't my personal preference - for different reasons, as I spelled out in my first post. I dunno, maybe I'm just used to hearing what I like hearing, and something different just sounds off to me. That could very well be it, that my brain has acclimated to my rig to the extent where I prefer it to things that are objectively better sounding. But selfishly, I think my rig sounds pretty darn good on its own merits!
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 28
Oh man, I am beat. HE90 madness yesterday, portable craziness today. NYC certainly isn't a laid-back kinda town, what can I say. And I just got my gear in from Tokyo and finally have my K 1000 back up and running - it's been like a tidal wave of headphone madness after 3 months of living out of a suitcase and only having the iPod as a source. Audio-technica managed to deliver my refinished W2002 today and holy cow, it's pristine. They completely replaced one chipped cup and there are no flaws anywhere in the lacquer anywhere.

Okay, the meet - Oski's got a nice little pad. Good execution of a clean design philosophy that keeps it free from clutter and makes it feel open and uncramped at all. Nice change from my place, which is a tiny suffocated studio with 53 boxes of an unpacked 3 bedroom Tokyo apartment that's gonna take me months to go through. Still haven't found my iRiver transport!

Anyway, so the phones: yup, Oski's Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro ($30) + Sennheiser HD201 ($20) definitely sounded darn good and punched well above its weight. I seriously had my doubts about the HD201 at the San Jose meet, where I played it out of the iPod, but that little USB soundcard just powered the HD201 to a very nice little level. The perfect gift for friends, college students, parents who want good quality music. The HD201 also sounded pretty good out of lan's iPod Shuffle. I popped on one of my latest favorites, Inger Marie Gundersen's Make this moment, which is recorded so well that it sounds good out of just about anything - but the iPod Shuffle + HD201 certainly competently conveyed an awful lot of the music in that recording.

Gotta give kudos to Jahn for getting together his computer/Darth Grado combination sounding good. I'm pretty new to the Grado sound, just having acquired a PS-1 (which is boring as hell out of my Chord and/or Grace m902) and that little Solo/EMU 404 did some nice little magic with that phone. Best soundstage I've ever heard from a Grado. Not as wide as R10/Q010, but nicely full from left to right. Gilmore Lite w/ the same source - I'll say it, it sucked compared to the Solo. The Darth Grado got boring again, just like my Grace m902/PS-1. I also tried my Sensaphonics 2X-S out of both amps, and the Solo definitely had the edge with the dynamic edge it gave to the sound. Not a whole lot of love for the Gilmore Lite today.

The Evilfire Cmoy was interesting. I tell people I'm a novice at a lot of this stuff - and I am. But when it comes to my portable rig, Overture > Earcandy mini-mini > SR-71 > Sensaphonics 2X-S, I know what I like, and I've tweaked it/familarized myself with various cables/amps/sources/etc., to no end. My amp of choice is the SR-71, and nothing's come close to knocking it off, but that Cmoy was on the same level in my port rig as the SR-71. I preferred the SR-71 because it portrayed a more sophisticated lower mid-range, but the Cmoy had a great sense of airiness that the SR-71 doesn't capture. Both the Cmoy and SR-71 are pretty darn bass-light, but that doesn't matter for the Sensas. Both have a great clarity and good treble performance - I might marginally give the SR-71 the edge here, but I need to think about this. I won't be replacing the SR-71 with the Cmoy, I do think it's better, but the Cmoy definitely impressed as being on the same level, but different.

Anyway, I listened to a few other things, lan's new little AKG hybrid portable phones was interesting. I'm not quite as dismissive as Jahn, though it didn't impress straight out of the iPod. Darn 400ohm impedence phones.
biggrin.gif

Was great meeting Romanee, Oski, Jahn and lan - all good guys. NYC's definitely got a bunch of great head-fier's. Didn't hear a lot of the gear I went to listen to (kinda burned-out from yesterday), but that doesn't really matter does it?

Best,

-Jason

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I guess I'm the only one who's a beast enough to start posting so soon after this minimeet, especially crazy considering that I lugged my desktop to Oski's place and back - setup took me awhile, lol!

I know what you mean. I decided since I had everything outside when I got home, I'd have a "reality check" to see what combination of things is the best together. The amount of wires here is insane
tongue.gif

My ART DI/O DAC didn't really work well at the meet. Somehow it works better here and not with the headphones but in my speaker system. And the Overture you know how it sounded with my speakers (not that great) but it's better in my headphone setup. *shrug*. Synergy dictates what plays out best.

My meet recap is as follows.

Headroom Coda with desktop module >> stock Coda (with my version 2 supply on each). This was my fav amp.

My order of preference of the portable amps from best to lesser.

Headroom Coda w/ desktop module
Portaphile V2
AE1
SR71
Headroom Coda

This will need some more explaining. I don't have time to write now so I'll do it later.

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
My ART DI/O DAC didn't really work well at the meet. Somehow it works better here and not with the headphones but in my speaker system. And the Overture you know how it sounded with my speakers (not that great) but it's better in my headphone setup. *shrug*. Synergy dictates what plays out best.

The heavily modded ART DI/O + GW external clocking unit was the surprise for me today in that it sounds almost exactly like my completely stock Musical Fidelity X-Ray (with maybe just an edge in fullness), but despite their completely different execution they could have been cut from the same cloth. This was determined by switching quickly between the two inputs on Jahn's Solo with a toggle (how's that for A/B testing?), without which I probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference.

Perhapse not surprisingly, as is in his case, I also prefer the X-Ray to my Overture in my stereo system, but the Overture just sounds better in the headphone setup as well.

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
The HD201 also sounded pretty good out of lan's iPod Shuffle.

Lan got seduced by the white side?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Sounds alot better than the ipod mini's headphone out, doesn't it?
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 28
seems like another great NYC mini-meet. Lan, cant believe you got an ipod.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
seems like another great NYC mini-meet. Lan, cant believe you got an ipod.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

I think he got the Shuffle for free or it fell off a bus or something. I'm pretty sure that's the only way it could have ended up in his possession lol.

Aug 29, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I think he got the Shuffle for free or it fell off a bus or something. I'm pretty sure that's the only way it could have ended up in his possession lol.

Free is good! if he didnt pay for it, its all good. thats how i have half working triports that i took apart and sold today.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 28
The Shuffle? Of course I got it for free.
biggrin.gif
Actually my friend did but she gave it to me. I predict it maybe somewhat work related. To help test/make podcasting streams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back