Jan 25, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #196 of 273
I'll bring the bottle if you supply the glasses
wink.gif

Is there anything else I need to bring?
An Earmax Pro perhaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Yippee! Welcome dram-worthy one!

Please bring the XP-7 as well. Ray was going to build one to send but he's so swamped prepping for his local meet on Jan. 29 that is 99.9999% unlikely.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #197 of 273
wish i could come to this meet.
frown.gif
. lan, please try your SA5k's on several different amps and post ur impressions, especially the rudistor amps, I'm really curious to see what kind of amps I should be shopping for as an upgrade.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #198 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
Erik,

Bring the baby!!!
icon10.gif

v1 or v2?
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #199 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I'll bring the bottle if you supply the glasses
wink.gif

Is there anything else I need to bring?
An Earmax Pro perhaps?

What's your dram of choice?

With all the gear I'll be totin' via public transit, I not sure I can successfully carry sippin' glasses without smashin' 'em. I could try, unless Aaron's got some good sippin' glasses?

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #200 of 273
The AOS Flute headamp just arrived at my office. I dashed to RS to get a Toslink cable & Tos-to-miniplug adapter. Brand new prototype (production unit will have better finish, I'm told).

Without burn-in it's a remarkable sound out of a tiny box. If the case weren't a little bit long (4.75" long), it would be about the same size as the minis that abound (SM, SuperMiniMoy, Portaphile, etc.). The amp is for digital signals only -- perfect for my Lan-mod Sonica USB!

With about 1/2 hour burn-in it puts out prodigious amounts of bass and a very big sound through my 501s (I had to check to be sure EQ was off!).

k1000smile.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #201 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
OK fellas, I'm in! I'll bring the SuperMacro with me. Should I bring the XP-7 also? I think Romanee has a PortaCorda so I'll leave that at home.

I can also bring my D-303 and my old 650esDII, which did not make for such a bad transport at the last meet. I only mention this because there may be a lack of sources. I'd just as soon leave everything at home.

I will not be able to stay for dinner, but I can probably sneak in an apres Qualia dram or three. My apres may start before everyone else's.
wink.gif

"Duncan" rides again.
biggrin.gif

I'm glad it turned out to be on the upswing, and not the downstring.

As far as extra sources...remember that this is a garden apartment, and besides the portables/brownies table, I am only going to have room for 8 or 9 setups, and Tom is bringing a lot of equipment (he rented the U-Haul in December
tongue.gif
).
Erik...please bring the XP-7, but if you want to bring sources, we might have to use them for seats. Make sure they have Jahn's isoblocks for comfort!

I had a nightmare last night that we had all this great equipment setup, but we couldn't get to it, because we didn't have any room for an aisle. It was scary.

As far as glasses...I might not have 12 matching ones, but certainly Telica has glasses up the gazoo!

Brian, after reading the Scotch thread, anybody who wants to bring wee drams, would be allowing me to venture into new horizons. All I know is cognac and vodka (for drinking...not mixing).

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #202 of 273
no prob i'll bring the isoblocks! right now they're under my crappy turntable, which i'll be totally happy to leave at home *bleh*

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #203 of 273
no...no, I was kidding (turning sources into seats using isoblocks as the legs).
eek.gif

I have the Mapleshades maple butcher block, with Isoblocks under my TT, and it doesn't work so well. If I tap on the Sanus rack it travels into the cartridge, echoing into my headphones. the Vibrapods and Herbies cubes with maple balls work better. Maple balls.

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #204 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
no...the Vibrapods and Herbies cubes with maple balls work better. Maple balls.

Great balls of fire! And he's got big balls ...... get your AC/DC cranking!

I got some herbies baby booties. I wonder how balls and pods are for dampening but I don't have a table. Using them on my tube amp and DAC.

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #205 of 273
We're getting off track, so I have to bring this thread back to center with an additional source list [let me know if you want me to delete this]:

[size=small]TYSON's Top 13 Single Malts, regardless of price :[/size]
[size=x-small]Ardbeg 1977[/size] [$???]
[size=x-small]Clynelish 14 [/size][[size=small]$47[/size] @ Beekman Liq]
[size=x-small]Springbank 12 - 175th Anniversary [/size][$75 @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Talisker 20 [/size][$155 @ Beekman Liq]
[size=x-small]Macallan 18 [my favorite] [/size][$99.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Springbank 15 [/size][$103 @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Bowmore Dusk [/size][[size=small]$45[/size] @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Mortlach 15 [/size][$60 @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Laphroag 10 Cask Strength [/size][$59.99 @ Astor & Beekman]
[size=x-small]Highland Park 18 [/size][$56.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood [/size][[size=small]$49.99[/size] @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Lagavulin 16 [/size][$64.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Bruichladdich 15 [/size][$65.00 @ Beekman Liq]

[size=small]TYSON'S Best Single Malts under (or around) $40[/size]
[size=x-small]Macallan 12 [/size][$39.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Dalmore Cigar Malt[/size][$40.00 @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Dalmore 12 [/size][$38.00 @ Park Ave Liq]
[size=x-small]Laphroaig 10 [/size][$32.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Ardbeg 10[/size][$42.00 @ Beekman Liq]
[size=x-small]Glenmorangie 10 [/size][$24.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Scapa 12 [/size][$43.99 @ Astor]
[size=x-small]Bowmore 12[/size][$24.99 @ Park Ave Liq]
---------------------

[size=small]Other Interesting Recommendations[/size]
[size=x-small]Aberlour "a'bundah" cask strength[/size][$56.00 @ Beekman Liq]
[size=x-small]Aberlour Sherry Wood 15 year[/size][$43.99 @ Astor]

[size=small]Some Single Malt Vendors in NYC[/size]

Park Avenue Liquors, 292 Mad Ave, NY, NY 10017, 212-685-2442
often overpriced, but encyclopedic selection
http://www.parkaveliquor.com/parkave/html/home.asp

Astor Wines & Spirits, 12 Astor Place, NY, NY 10003, 212-674-7500
competive, sometimes bargain pricing - modest selection
http://www.astoruncorked.com

Beekman Liquors, 500 Lexington Ave., NY, NY 10017, 212-759-5857
sometimes fair pricing, sometimes high prices - modest selection
http://www.beekmanliquors.com

blink.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #206 of 273
I'm a teetotaler so I'll be picking up a 2-Liter of Dr.Pepper for my own enjoyment on the way up! I'll prop the bottle up with my isoblocks so as to reduce the amount of fizzy loss from vibrational bubble poppage!

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #207 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
lan, please try your SA5k's on several different amps and post ur impressions, especially the rudistor amps, I'm really curious to see what kind of amps I should be shopping for as an upgrade.

Will do. PM me your listening preferences and what other equipment you like and dislike so maybe I can help steer you in the right direction.

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #208 of 273
Isoblocks have many uses.

Hey, Isoblocks rhyme with socks, which everyone should have a clean pair of, since they have been laying out calcium chloride (I think that's the toxic chemical), on my walks, so the water doesn't refreeze, and we need to take off our shoes, so we don't track that toxic waste on my carpet, or your cables.
Am I tactful, or what? I just "seg-wayed" that right in there.
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #209 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
. . . everyone should have a clean pair . . .
cool.gif

And a brand new pair of Dr. Scholl's Odor Eaters!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #210 of 273
I will bring the XP-7 but not the CD player. I'm sure we'll be fine with sources even if we have to do some switching. I'm going to bring the D-303 however. I want to hear it from the digital out to the Flute. Hopefully, Romanee has the proper cable. It's a toslink out on the D-303. I'll also bring my HD 25-1 as they are one of the cans of choice for portable use in the community.

Clean socks are on the list, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back