NYC - good guitar shops?
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm planning on Thursday to buy my first acoustic guitar, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend me good guitar shops, and maybe particular salespeople/owners of the shop that I can talk to (that would give me clean advice instead of try to upsell me)?

I'm planning on stopping by the staples, guitar center, Manny's, Sam Ash, but was wondering if there are any other B&M shops I should check out. I'll be shopping mostly for price, so the shops that are flexible on deals would be nice too. I'm not going with anyone experienced in guitar since my friends don't play guitar, so I am going to be heavily reliant on salespeople. I have some guitar's in mind (Big baby taylor, Seagull S6, Takamine GS330S) but I'm going in with an open mind.

So yea any manhattan NYC shops people have gone to for years and love them?

Also on a sidenote, at least for the big shops, is haggling still allowed? I did a quick google search and there has been a couple of rumor forum posts about guitar center at least banning haggling due to them being now owned by Bain Capital, but I don't know if that is just hearsay.

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 4
hmm anyone?

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 4
I can only recommend that you look on West 48th Street near around 7th Ave/Broadway - there are a boatload of musical instrument shops in that area - not sure if there are any that you haven't already listed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back