NYC Bi-Annual Meet Impressions, March 3, 2007
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #196 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relegated to the children's table due to lateness because of a blown transmission in a 2 year old Chrysler:

Actually more due to the fact that the manager of the diner was pissed at us from the moment we stepped in the door, for no apparent reason. It took quite a bit of talking just to get the tables near each other.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #197 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relegated to the children's table due to lateness because of a blown transmission in a 2 year old Chrysler:

IMG_1856.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually more due to the fact that the manager of the diner was pissed at us from the moment we stepped in the door, for no apparent reason. It took quite a bit of talking just to get the tables near each other.

No, no...It was the children's table
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #198 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even Ray's charm didnt help? LOL

Mar 9, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #199 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS-1000: There's no way bozebuttons's prototype model and the production model don't have different drivers....just no way. A group of us spent time with GS-1000 both single-ended and balanced and we never got the same sound out of them as the prototype model. It's a shame really because they would be worht the price tag if they all sounded like the prototype. The production models have bloated bass, a weird recessed mid-range and a bad treble spike issue. And yes, I've heard them fully burned in on multiple amps (Earmax, Singlepower PPX, SDS XLR, prototype balanced Grado amp, the Raptor...and a few others).
And some pics:

This was the surprise of the meet for me.

It almost wrong!
icon10.gif
To get great free press (for Grado Labs) from our great members in a great venue:.. our first National Meet. Then turn around and sell us the infereror product. I lost money buying the GS 1000s then selling them, and I am not the only one we all lost money.

How did I get to sit at the head of the grown up table! Cool. Tom was great to talk to you. And the rest of you guys at our end of the table.
IMG_1855.jpg

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #200 of 264
hMm... I should have went to the dinner. =[ The girlfriend called and I had to go have dinner with her instead. I told her I wanted all of Saturday to myself too! =T

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #201 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hMm... I should have went to the dinner. =[ The girlfriend called and I had to go have dinner with her instead. I told her I wanted all of Saturday to myself too! =T

You just had a bad day all around, first no big bold name as a contribiter then you miss dinner
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #202 of 264
I had a great day. It was exhausting, but packed with fun. I woke up and scrambled to organize everything to bring with me and got to the meet a little after it started. I was surprised with how many people were there already. =] I guess you guys aren't like my friends, when you tell them to meet at 10, no one's there until 12. I got there a little before 11 and the room was packed already.

Can't wait for the next meet. There's still so many thing I want to hear!

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #203 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a great day. It was exhausting, but packed with fun. I woke up and scrambled to organize everything to bring with me and got to the meet a little after it started. I was surprised with how many people were there already. =] I guess you guys aren't like my friends, when you tell them to meet at 10, no one's there until 12. I got there a little before 11 and the room was packed already.

Can't wait for the next meet. There's still so many thing I want to hear!

Yeah. I'm pretty bummed I missed out hearing the LE Grados and the W5000s - especially since I am in the market for an ATH can. But when you get to listen to the HE90, OII, L3000, and GS1000 to name a few all in the same day, one can't really complain.

Next meet, you have to bring Omicron holding Prime's head!
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #204 of 264
But that's not headphone related. =]

I'll i'll bring all of my larger toys to hold all of my headphones. =]

Masterpiece Optimus Prime can hold my K701's.
Unicron can hold my HD595's.
Masterpiece Starscream can hold my my SR60's.

If I have more cans, I'll bring more toys, lol. It's great to combine 2 hobbies, especially when I look that them. =] If I have enough cans, I'll bring 1/60 Gundam models too, though it's very hard to get them to stand on their own while holding a pair of headphones as they're very light.

Oh, I might bring this to raffle off. =] Gotta spread the love, even though the SQ is probably pretty bad, lol.

tak10694lj8.jpg

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #207 of 264
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pk1's this was the unlikely bit of gear i saw someone (forgott who, sorry) rocking with the extreme! out of the extreme they sounded spectacular, and made me question my bigger headphones for a moment. they did sound a little bit like the sound was coming OUT of my ears, but the overall detail and smoothness was spectacular.

BTW, I want to come back to this post to share something I discovered today @ work with the PK1s. First off though, what comes to mind with comments like this and from others I recognize as having great gear and hearing, I can't help but think this meet should be considered Yuin's 'coming out party'...
biggrin.gif

Now getting back to what I wanted to share, I just started listening to the PK1s (LD II+ amp'ed) with the wire facing forward and up about 45 degrees from horizontal, with the wire wrapped around the back of my ears. The difference in ambiance and imaging is subtle but noticeable and pleasing. The alignment it puts the buds into related to the the holes in the casing the sound comes through definitely reduces the 'sounds a little bit like the sound was coming OUT of my ears' effect from the ear-bud form factor. If any of you have them, give it a try.

p.s. can't wrap the wire behind the head easily with the PK2/3 because of that annoyingly short left wire length of the non-symetrical Y of the cable. I think Yuin would do well to change that.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #208 of 264
Another post stated that Nankai said the Pk2's will have a Y cord by the end of March. =[

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #209 of 264
ah, missed that, thanx.

BTW, did anyone listen to the custom ear molded PK1? I know it might not fit great, but if you heard'm, what about the sound vs. the regular PK1? I wanted to go back to it with some TP and give it a good cleaning before sticking it in my ear to hear, but I never got to.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #210 of 264
I don't know how many people were willing to put the customs in their ear. I personally was not willing to do it. =T I never share IEM's, and the first time I did was at the Head-fi meet because I know you guys all keep them clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back