NW-HD5 and NW-HD3 (Owners)
Oct 11, 2009 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CodeScripted

100+ Head-Fier
Most might find this thread very pointless, but I am really curious to find out:
How many NW-HD3 and NW-HD5 users still exist out there?

Model:
1) When did you buy it?
2) Do you you it with an amp, if so then which one?
3) Why do you still use it today? What is the reason for still holding on to it?

I mean this DAP has been discontinued for about 2.5-3 years, and yet it shows up in many threads. And when it gets mentioned it, usually comes up as one of the best for sound qulity. Which is why I am really curious to find todays headcount.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 15
I have sold off all of my Sony HDD-based players. Had the HD1, imported the HD2, owned the HD3, loved the HD5, and even owned the A1000, A1200, and A3000. I actually loved the HDD-based A-series. If only I had kept them....but they were replaced by a Sony NW-A808 and later a NWZ-A818.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 15
i got my HD5 back in 2005, i loved it, the warm and nice sound, quite nice for rock,
i eventualy replaced it with a cowon D2 back in late 2007, but i went back to it once in a while becuase the cowon seemed cold and mechanical next to it,

i accidently killed it last year trying to upgrade the hard drive with a 32GB CF card, its a shame, i remember how good it sounded with the atrios.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a NW-HD5, got it back in 2005. I mainly used when travelling. My daughter's MP3 player crapped out so she took over the NW-HD5, it is still going strong.
RC

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Model:

NW-HD5
Quote:

1) When did you buy it?

About 4 years ago
Quote:

2) Do you you it with an amp, if so then which one?

I'm not using external amps
Quote:

3) Why do you still use it today? What is the reason for still holding on to it?

Really, i don't use it now (a year ago i've tried to move on Zune 120, then Kenwood HD60GD9, and currently i'm stuck with 240GB ipod video, waiting for 128gb NW-A8xx to release), it is just my backup player now. With 80GB hard drive it is not as small of storage as it was; and it provides great sound, great battery life and portability (the only advantages of ipod are 240gb hard drive and rockbox).

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i accidently killed it last year trying to upgrade the hard drive with a 32GB CF card.

Unfortunately it is impossible to make it work with CF card. I've tried even pricey PhotoFast adapter which afaik not just converts CF plug into Toshiba 50pin one, but emulates hard drive using CF as storage - and there was no success.
However, maybe, it will work with "native" 1.8" ssds.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 15
I bought my first NW-HD5 (UK-market, w/ volume unlocked) late last year on eBay, then I also got 2 NIB N.O.S. U.S.-market HD5's later on that year, as well as a few beat up ones, mainly either for parts (if necessary), or for the accessories that came with it.

The advantages of having a user-removeable/replaceable battery system, a whopping 40 hrs. of battery life per charge, inline remote control-compatibility, as well as its compatibility with both ATRAC and SS CP 4.2 and my RH1 (in which I use as my uploader to it), were the big turn-ons for me getting it.

Also with 20GB onboard, and its ATRAC (take note Apple, Cowon and the rest of you), it made the transition from my MZ-NH700 Hi-MD Walkman to the HD5 much easier.

The only drawback I could find on it is its weak onboard 5mW amp, which makes using an amp with most full-size cans almost mandatory.

My setup currently is my NW-HD5, RM-MC40ELK inline remote, and MDR-EX90SL IEM's, although sometimes I also use my newly-acquired MDR-NC300D NC IEM's.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 15
got a red NW-HD5 from a local outlet that was clearing old electronics. the red is very well done i thought, not the garish sort. i pair it with the remote BIGHMW mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only drawback I could find on it is its weak onboard 5mW amp, which makes using an amp with most full-size cans almost mandatory.

my favourite home setup is to plug my AD900s into the HD5. they get along very well together and the music always sounds so alive to my ears. output sounds fine to me without an amp so far.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 15
I never sell my gear, no matter if I use it or not.
My HD5 is still in use however. I have dropped it a million times, it has some dents and scratches on it, I have two extra batteries (long trips are regular in my job) and although I have two ipod videos (60GB & 160GB) and i currently use a 32GB 3GS Iphone, my player of choice is still the Sony.
I'm seriously thinking of installing a bigger disk (it's a 20GB model) and keep on using until it (or I) dies.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 15
I still have NWHD1 and NWHD3. I use them when I go for vacation, and occasionally when I take a walk. The HD1 is filled with 64kbs files, and the HD3 is half filled with a mix of 64kbs and 192kbs files - all Atrac3+. I don't hear much difference, especially not on the plane. They cover most of my CD collection. I want to keep them as long as possible. They sound nice and are perfectly gapless.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 15
I've still got my NW-HD5H (the one with the 30Gb hard disk) and it is still workiing, however I don't really use it now. I made the mistake of buying the crappy official leather carry case which didn't protect the machine, hence it looks a bit beaten up. The Pdair case I replaced it with was miles better.

The 16Gb NWZ-S639F is in residence now and sounds great with my ER4P's (as does the NW-HD5H). However, I do miss the storage and hope in due course we get a 64+Gb flash machine.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it is impossible to make it work with CF card. I've tried even pricey PhotoFast adapter which afaik not just converts CF plug into Toshiba 50pin one, but emulates hard drive using CF as storage - and there was no success.

Just to mention that the mod to CF 32gb is possible. I have done it.

The only issue is that the PC no longer recognizes the player when the CF is installed. So I had to fill the CF using a CF reader and Jsymphonic. Later I installed it in the HD5 and works perfectly. Much better response that with the HDD, and no HDD noise anymore.

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just to mention that the mod to CF 32gb is possible. I have done it.

The only issue is that the PC no longer recognizes the player when the CF is installed. So I had to fill the CF using a CF reader and Jsymphonic. Later I installed it in the HD5 and works perfectly. Much better response that with the HDD, and no HDD noise anymore.
Hi, please can you tell me how you got the CF to work? I have an nw-hd1 and 3 and an ipod classic and would love my sony to have a faster, silent and more battery efficient solid state drive.

The ipod will take any SD/CF card with adapter without problem, but the sonys will just not recognise the SD/CF cards. it WILL recognise the old ipod HDD with a zif adapter though. I have tried different formats, different adapters for the sd/CF cards but nothing works.

I have found that it may be the sony will only recognise a drive with "true IDE mode" which is NONE of the SD cards and only the old CF cards with a PIO mode (not the newer UDMA types)

if admin allows external links (apologies if I'm not supposed to do this) there is some info here: http://support.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/cf.html

Any advice will be massively appreciated. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back