nuraphone
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 32
I personally prefer cans that are powered to work passively, and at least sound good there. Don't cut corners, make them sound good unpowered. Why? Not just for the people who want good sound passively, but it's easier to make a passively good sounding headphone sound better through software and powered options after the fact. Think about it. Ringy, resonant, hollow sound. They have to literally fix all of those problems first. I don't mean sonic preferences, those are issue no listener would want.

THEN the customization by power and software can make a generally good sound better fit what you like and your ear shape. Honestly, once I ran that software, what it gave me was amazing sounding in spatiality and in other ways. It was unusable on any song with heavy sub bass. Even if I turned the bass feature down all the way, so you can't blame that. When you seal a driver that well, you have to deal with bass standing waves, if you don't, they will distort the driver and cause that kind of problem.

On sizing. I have above average ear circumference (measurements top to bottom, left to right) but I'm 6'5" so that is expected. They fit around my ear ok, but I actually I have flatter than average ears (possibly being a side-sleeper). One extension with ear tip fit perfectly, the other no matter what, never seated in my ear quite far enough. Without slightly longer but flexible length tubes, it may be impossible to have these truly fit everyone universally. They have got something here, it just needs more work.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 32
Ironically, some people find the ADAC to add a more desirable flavor to the sound! https://www.reddit.com/r/Nuraphone/...soundprocessing_discussion/dugruvd/?context=3

Otherwise, yeah. If I remember correctly, the analog-in was a backer requested feature, and nura just gave the people what they wanted. So you get to choose between USB, Lightning, Bluetooth, or analog, all in one headphone. It's a beautiful piece of engineering aside from its (tragic for me) shortcomings.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #19 of 32
Ironically, some people find the ADAC to add a more desirable flavor to the sound! https://www.reddit.com/r/Nuraphone/...soundprocessing_discussion/dugruvd/?context=3

Otherwise, yeah. If I remember correctly, the analog-in was a backer requested feature, and nura just gave the people what they wanted. So you get to choose between USB, Lightning, Bluetooth, or analog, all in one headphone. It's a beautiful piece of engineering aside from its (tragic for me) shortcomings.
I think it's a fantastic concept but maybe due to the early nature of the technology, it doesn't quite have the desired effect for everyone.

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 32
Hello, any feedbacks following the g2 software update ?
I edited my page 1 review a couple of weeks ago, but I'll copy/paste the G2 part of that here:
"They have recently upgraded to "G2", or the second generation of nuraphone firmware and software. The software is prettier and offers more features ("factory reset" was impossible before, for example). Firmware has made the nura capable of using its built-in mics to generate Active Noise Cancellation on top of the already pretty amazing isolation that it previously provided, and now they have a 'Social Mode' which lets you hear ambient sounds without having to peel one of the 'phones off."

I can't give a really thorough re-review because I ran into a "funny" little problem: I haven't pulled the protective plastic off of the unit yet, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep them or sell them. The problem is that the plastic is covering the microphone, and causes some pretty awesome + loud feedback direcccctly into your ears. I disabled the ANC, but for some reason it still squealed at me during the calibration process, so I stopped.

At one point earlier, before the feedback issues, I tried Social Mode -- but I can't say much about how it sounded because: 1) I hadn't calibrated them yet; and 2) I, again, still had the plastic covering the mics, so whatever muffled sound I did hear is clearly not representative of the real deal. The fact that I heard anything at all was delightful, though! Being able to listen to people at the touch of a button, without having to take off some of the best-isolating headphones in the world? Parts of this headphone feel 100% like wearing the future. I am still deeply proud of some of their accomplishments, and still deeply disappointed by the actual sound quality. ;p

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #23 of 32
Any further impressions? Curious how these compare to the XM3 for SQ.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 32
Hi @JoshG1217,

Overall sound quality & functionality is better on the XM 3, not to mention battery life on XM 3 is at least double over the Nuraphone.

Some negatives about the Nuraphone :

- Need app to work its best, stored profile doesn't always work.
- Fit is very fiddly on the Nuraphone which is the primary factor when choosing any head gear so unless you can get a good fit, it's not much point using otherwise.
- The hearing personalisation function is a load of crap as during two separate demos on two different days, got totally different recommended setting, which were only average in sound either way either way.
- Personally & subjectively, I have heard much cheaper headphones which sound so much better.

Positive :
Good Noise Cancelling ( but not better than XM3 ) & Microphone

However, I would still suggest going for a demo on the Nuraphone to see how they suit you but overall more gimmick than actually useful.
Just my humble two cents.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #26 of 32
Yeah, that's good to know. I'll wait for the Lagoon anc.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #27 of 32
My Nura phone got delivered today,

First impression is this, the bass is powerful and this headphone has to be put on the map for bass lovers or bass heads for sure.

The bass does not disappoint but i find these cans to be uncomfortable and actually i am reaching the nero phones more than my meze classic 99, yes they sound that good.

All about the bass with these cans, but the highs and mids do well though.

Also i found them uncomfortable but they sound good.

They sound like bliss with how these cans sound to me with my personal profile and prefer the sound over my meze classic 99.

When i say bass is powerful it has the oompf where other headphones do not, i owned about 20 and these stand out with how they sound, these have oompf more so than my other headphones which lack in the bass.

They have plenty of slam punch and rumble with the bass.

I have my immersion around 40-50% because if it is over that i find it has too much bass for my liking.

The more i listen to the nura phone the more i understand the praise it has received regarding reviews.

Dan.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 32
Anyways on about the nura phone,

I would only recommend these for people who are after decent bass.

It does have some serious punch and rumble with the bass among the best of bass head cans these i reckon.

At 50% immersion is all it needs to open out the bass while not drowning out the rest of the frequency spectrum.

I have tried different settings and 50% immersion is all it needs that is the sweet spot..

40 % immersion for it to be balanced and not out of step too much but 50% sounds a bit bass heavy but brings out the bass nicely.

So if your a basshead give these cans a go i recommend them for that and have it at 50% immersion and as well as it is configured for your personal hearing.

69307925_10157523223192375_2291390951068794880_n.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #29 of 32
@lltfdaniel,

Interesting perspective.
Good to hear other's opinions and your positive experience with the Nuraphone.

Subjectively & personally, as stated in an earlier post, I didn't have a good experience in the several demos when I tried the Nuraphone.
I am just curious whether you heard the Sony WH 1000 X Series as both NC and bass response is subjectively and personally more useful and impactful than Nuraphone but as stated, it is good to have other opinions.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't consider 99 Classics a fair comparison as they are entirely different headphones & do different things, it's like saying a Mini and Morris Minor are the same, anyway, I digress...
The only thing I will say from my earlier thread is it is very unfortunate the Nuraphone requires a phone app to even work whereas nearly all other BT NC headphones do not.

Anyway, be curious on your long term usage & how you find it a month or more from now.

Hope you have a great day !

May 29, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #30 of 32
Those of you who have the Nuraphones, an iPhone or iPad and the lightning cable of Nura, I have a question. I bought the lightning cable for the Nuraphone since I was convinced I could still access the app while using the lightning cable, but I can not. Is this a design flaw or is this just something I do wrong? It is bad enough you can not use the touch-sensitive buttons while using the lightning cable, but not the app? Really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back