NuPrime uDSD ($179, PCM384+DSD256 decoding) Portable USB DAC and trade-in program for NuForce uDAC* and other DACs
May 1, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 41
  From the proportions of the ports and stuff I thought it is quite compact. And indeed it is. Reminds me a bit of the ifi Nano

Certainly seems like as direct a competitor as you could have, on paper. It will be interesting to see the SQ/functionality reviews accumulate and eventually get a look at the internals (though it's easy to read too much into such a viewing in any number of cases, I love getting a look at innards).

May 1, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 41
Wow, that's a pretty beefy dac. The only thing I don't like are the RCA outs and 3.5mm input, which I wish was a RSA/ALO balanced out at the back and front that can be converted to 3pin or 4pin XLR.

May 1, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 41
For the vast majority of people, RCA outputs will be far more valuable than a RSA jack (which really is a terrible jack to begin with). Balanced outputs also require having more circuitry/hardware to provide the additional two signals, which increases size, cost, etc. A 4-pin XLR (or any regular XLR for that matter) will not fit within the size of the uDSD.

May 3, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 41
Those of you who own NuForce uDAC should see some similarities. That was one of the most popular portable DAC before the market becomes so crowded with DACs. So I have "no choice" but to bring out a really high performance DAC with powerful head amp at this price level.

Any uDAC or iFi customers out there? if you can write reviews contact me.

May 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 41

I have never compared with Geek Out.  But I can offer you a full refund if you order it from www.sonicunity.com or other participating retailers.  We are very confident with performance so you can compare it with any DAC. But if you have come across any NuForce uDAC* or Icon HDP ($549) I can say that uDSD sound is comparable to Icon HDP. 

May 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 41
For those who've gone from uDac2 to uDac3, the step up from uDac3 to uDSD is comparable... maybe a smidge more. I would put the performance very very close to the HDP, with slightly less punch in the bass region, but superior in clarity overall.

(and yes, I have both the uDac3 and HDP on hand for comparison, and used to have a uDac2 before gifting it last year)

May 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 41
For those who've gone from uDac2 to uDac3, the step up from uDac3 to uDSD is comparable... maybe a smidge more. I would put the performance very very close to the HDP, with slightly less punch in the bass region, but superior in clarity overall.

(and yes, I have both the uDac3 and HDP on hand for comparison, and used to have a uDac2 before gifting it last year)

Hi Armaegis, may I know which dac chip is used in the uDSD. Thanks.

May 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 41
Sorry, but I don't know. NuForce has traditionally never listed the details of what chips they've used, so I don't see NuPrime doing that either.

May 10, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 41
I just receive my uDSD, and I am very impressed. I have the uDac2 and uDac3 compare it to, and will have to give up uDac2 to get the discount for this new uDSD. The progression amazing, and a pleasure. There is only surprise  is volume knob logarithmic progression. I had to turn it up past the halfway point to drive my Byerdynamic DT-1350 at 80 ohms, and  a bit more for Sennheiser HD 600. I listen to only to wave, and higher format. I have a Mac running Itunes through Audirvana Plus, or Fidelia. I was under the impression that the uDSD had more power, and it does. The sound coming from both my headphone in deep and richer, obviously from better parts. I have only had it a day, and  will try Sennheirs 300-2 in ear, and an old pair Etymotic model 6s as soon as I can find them.

May 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 41
My impression/review is up 
smile_phones.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/767950/nuprime-udsd-usb-dac-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back