Number of Silver Strands
Dec 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
On numerous sites selling silver speaker wiring, or something similar, I see in the description that it's either 2, 4, 6, 8 or whatever amount of braided strands. Obviously the more strands, the more expensive. 
Do the amount of strands really make a different, or is it simple durability of the cable itself?
Could I theoretically just double up on the lower 'strand' wires to get the same effect as a larger 'stand' count wire? 
Thanks!

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 13
When homegrown audio, for example, talks about "strands," they're referring to the number of individual wires woven into a particular braided cable.  It's not a matter of durability, per se, but conductivity and thickness -- for example, a 3 conductor, 24 gauge braid will be thinner overall than a 4 conductor 24 gauge braid, but the individual "strands" making up the wire are the same thickness (24 gauge).  Also, more conductors means less flexibility.  With headphones, you're also not dealing with the type of power that you would with regular speakers, so you really don't need the type of electrical flow a 6 or 8 conductor braid would offer.  I would say, since flexibility, diameter, and overall weight are concerns for headphones, get the fewest number of conductors you need.  So for a single-sided mod, a 3 strand cable is fine, while if you're doing a new Y-style cable (similar to stock), you'd need 4 conductors/strands.  Just pay attention to the overall gauge rating -- you'd really gain no benefit by having more strands.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 13
there is a difference between conductors, and strands. 

A 3 conductor wire, can have anywhere from 3 - 90 strands, depending on the type of wire (solid core, versus stranded). The more strands in a stranded wire, usually, the more flexible it is for the same AWG. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
there is a difference between conductors, and strands. 

A 3 conductor wire, can have anywhere from 3 - 90 strands, depending on the type of wire (solid core, versus stranded). The more strands in a stranded wire, usually, the more flexible it is for the same AWG. 

True, but homegrown specifically gives a "strand" count for the braided cable, and then goes on to say they're using solid core silver wire.  So in their usage, they're just talking about the individual number of wires making up the braid.  At least that's how I interpret it.  Their website seems to indicate that all of their silver wire is solid core.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Ah - I just looked at their section on braided wire. How odd. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 13

So for a single-sided mod, a 3 strand cable is fine, while if you're doing a new Y-style cable (similar to stock), you'd need 4 conductors/strands.  Just pay attention to the overall gauge rating -- you'd really gain no benefit by having more strands.

So for a single detach, something like This would work pretty well?
http://www.homegrownaudio.com/products/IC%252d3.22S.html
And then I could make a custom sheath for it, right? 

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 13
  So for a single-sided mod, a 3 strand cable is fine, while if you're doing a new Y-style cable (similar to stock), you'd need 4 conductors/strands.  Just pay attention to the overall gauge rating -- you'd really gain no benefit by having more strands.

Another question, why do I need 3 stranded cables? Is it positive, negative and ground? 
I haven't opened them up yet, so I'm not entirely sure haha

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 13
A stereo plug has three connections on the inside -- one for a positive to the right channel, one for a positive to the left channel, and then a universal ground/negative.  If you look at a regular stereo plug, the black bands separate your connections, so the tip is one positive connection, the middle section is another, and then the rest is the ground.  I'll post a photo of the plug I wired up for reference.

Your stock Grado wire has four conductors -- a positive and negative for each channel, respectively, which separate at the Y, but both grounds are soldered to the same contact point in the 1/8" plug.

Edit:

That's the guts of your standard 1/8" plug.  The tab on the left, where the red wire is soldered, is connected to the tip of the plug, while the right tab, soldered to the white wire, connects to the middle section.  For my particular headphones, the red wire is the positive for the left channel and the white wire is the positive for the right.  Below those are two navy blue wires I twisted together and then soldered to the long metal tab that hooks around the rubber sheathing, which is for the ground.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
A stereo plug has three connections on the inside -- one for a positive to the right channel, one for a positive to the left channel, and then a universal ground/negative.  If you look at a regular stereo plug, the black bands separate your connections, so the tip is one positive connection, the middle section is another, and then the rest is the ground.  I'll post a photo of the plug I wired up for reference.

Your stock Grado wire has four conductors -- a positive and negative for each channel, respectively, which separate at the Y, but both grounds are soldered to the same contact point in the 1/8" plug.

Ohhh, I  see. So for instance, the jack that I just bought has 5 'tabs' on it, two of those are paired and will go to the left speaker, the other two paired tabs will go to the right speaker and then the last unpaired tab will be for grounding, yes? 
And if each driver has it's own grounding, then will I simply solder the two grounding wires onto the same grounding tab?
Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm using pretty generic terms haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back