NuForce UDH-100
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

pedro47

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

Please can you tell me about the USB adaptive mode which is concerned with the NuForce UDH-100. I ask as I use a mac with the Audirvana software which fully utilises its abilities when no drivers are required. I've noted that there is a mac driver download for the UDH-100. Can you confirm whether it is actually required given that from mid 2010 most macs can cope with 2.0 USB. I am hoping that I won't need to download it. A response from anybody would be most appreciated.

I'm hoping the download is for mac users using older operating systems, as i believe the current 10.8.2 is fully USB 2.0 compliant. 

FYI - The U-DAC2se works fine with the software named above.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 36
I have a UDH-100, got it a couple days ago. I can tell you now that it beats the hell out of the icon HDP. the USB is superb, the RCA out is superb. the sound quality is very much worth bragging about. the UDH-100 is very big and heavy as well. comes with a universal nuforce remote (same remote that comes with DAC-100, HAP-100 etc) I kernel stream 24/192 files from foobar200 to it and its great. I use mine with a PC and not a mac so I cannot comment on that, but I don't think the driver is required for mac. I do have a MBP though, perhaps I could plug it into it and see though I hate using that thing :/ 

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 36
Thanks - this is a great help.

Does plugging in headphones mute the rear RCA outputs?

How does the volume control work?  I presume there is no visual display of the volume?  Does it go from 0 to 100% in one full turn, or over multiple turns?

Also, does it "remember" the volume last used on each output when you switch between them?

Any extra info much appreciated, cheers.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 36
hey you are welcome :)

I just switched on my Schiit Valhalla that's plugged into the UDH-100 with my DT990's in the UDH and I plugged my K702's into the Valhalla and sound comes out of both the Valhalla and the UDH-100 at the same time. 

the volume control is kinda wonky it feels like its not turning anything but it works just fine. no there is no visual display. there is a very small pinhole next to the volume pot that lights up red when the unit is on, also the vent next to the volume pot does nothing. the volume knob is 0 to 100% in one full turn yes. 

no the volume knob/pot controls both the headphone amp and the RCA gain though you can adjust the volume on an external amp. I had to turn my icon HDP's volume all the way up to get what I thought was normal operation on my Valhalla, I have to do the same with the UDH-100 turning the volume knob to 100% so its normal volume on the Valhalla. the amp however on the UDH-100 I think is excellent. with the UDH-100 I've noticed that instruments are much more separated. I listen to Roger Waters Amused to Death CD rip in WAV format and a SACD rip of Pink Floyd WYWH in 24/192 just about every night and it sounds amazing just amazing.

it comes in just a plain white cardboard box all the box says in Nuforce on the front. the UDH-100, a manual, generic remote (has input select button) the power cord, no USB cord inside. if you are in the US, you have to set the switch on the back to 115v. so far I am very happy with it. I was also interested in a Schiit Bifrost but it's never on amazon anymore. I am very happy with the UDH-100 though :)

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 36
Many thanks but that rules it out for me.
I really need the headphone socket to mute the RCA outs as I intend to have a power amp attached to these and won't want both running at once.
Thanks for the info though!

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:
hey you are welcome :)

I just switched on my Schiit Valhalla that's plugged into the UDH-100 with my DT990's in the UDH and I plugged my K702's into the Valhalla and sound comes out of both the Valhalla and the UDH-100 at the same time. 

the volume control is kinda wonky it feels like its not turning anything but it works just fine. no there is no visual display. there is a very small pinhole next to the volume pot that lights up red when the unit is on, also the vent next to the volume pot does nothing. the volume knob is 0 to 100% in one full turn yes. 

no the volume knob/pot controls both the headphone amp and the RCA gain though you can adjust the volume on an external amp. I had to turn my icon HDP's volume all the way up to get what I thought was normal operation on my Valhalla, I have to do the same with the UDH-100 turning the volume knob to 100% so its normal volume on the Valhalla. the amp however on the UDH-100 I think is excellent. with the UDH-100 I've noticed that instruments are much more separated. I listen to Roger Waters Amused to Death CD rip in WAV format and a SACD rip of Pink Floyd WYWH in 24/192 just about every night and it sounds amazing just amazing.

it comes in just a plain white cardboard box all the box says in Nuforce on the front. the UDH-100, a manual, generic remote (has input select button) the power cord, no USB cord inside. if you are in the US, you have to set the switch on the back to 115v. so far I am very happy with it. I was also interested in a Schiit Bifrost but it's never on amazon anymore. I am very happy with the UDH-100 though :)

How would you rate the UDH-100's synergy with K702's and DT990's? In other words is the device neutral, bright, warm...?  Primarily I'm interested about synergy with AKG's because I plan on buying this unit for my K701's. Does Valhalla bring much improvement over the integrated amp inside the Nuforce? How powerful is the amp inside the Nuforce, is there enough headroom with AKG's (how far do you turn the volume knob before it becomes too loud). 

I originally wanted to get the HDP, but I saw this and I decided to ask around. Is the UDH really that much better than the HDP? In my country the HPD costs $500 and the UDH costs about $870...so I wonder if its worth stretching that far.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 36
Bumping this thread for any more feedback from people who own or have listened to it.  This seems like a nice combo amp/dac for a desktop for the price.  Anyone have any more thoughts on it?

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:
Seconded. I've been looking at one of these for work/office.

I am trying to decide between the UDH-100, the Parasound zDac or the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus.   I am leaning towards the UDH-100, but am wondering if having USB only for an input will come back to bite me at some point. I will using it with Sennheiser HD600's as well as some powered monitors. It doesn't seem like many people have the UDH-100.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 36
I was very impressed with mine - matching the DAC performance of my Bel Canto DAC1.5 (which I love) and a very high quality headphone section.
It sounds a nice jump better than the HDP and powered my HifiMan HE-4's perfectly well (no easy feat - I sold my Woo amp as it couldn't cope with these).
I am only selling it as I need a DAC with two outputs in my personal set-up, otherwise it would be a keeper.
On a more superficial note, it looks fantastic in matt black with the tiny pin prick red light - NuForce's industrial design is great here.

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
I was very impressed with mine - matching the DAC performance of my Bel Canto DAC1.5 (which I love) and a very high quality headphone section.
It sounds a nice jump better than the HDP and powered my HifiMan HE-4's perfectly well (no easy feat - I sold my Woo amp as it couldn't cope with these).
I am only selling it as I need a DAC with two outputs in my personal set-up, otherwise it would be a keeper.
On a more superficial note, it looks fantastic in matt black with the tiny pin prick red light - NuForce's industrial design is great here.

Could you give us a bit more detail about the UDH-100?   Like...whats the sound signature of it, some specific characteristics that pop out immediately, and is it worth the price over the HDP? I mean, is it obviously better in both DAC and headphone amp section? Does it have more power than it?

Thanks

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

How would you rate the UDH-100's synergy with K702's and DT990's? In other words is the device neutral, bright, warm...?  Primarily I'm interested about synergy with AKG's because I plan on buying this unit for my K701's. Does Valhalla bring much improvement over the integrated amp inside the Nuforce? How powerful is the amp inside the Nuforce, is there enough headroom with AKG's (how far do you turn the volume knob before it becomes too loud). 

I originally wanted to get the HDP, but I saw this and I decided to ask around. Is the UDH really that much better than the HDP? In my country the HPD costs $500 and the UDH costs about $870...so I wonder if its worth stretching that far.

I like the UDH-100 very much and it is much much better than the Icon HDP. with my AKG K702's using the UDH-100's amp 75% on the volume knob suffices 80% being loud, same with DT990. I have not used my Schiit Valhalla for a long time but they are about the same but not really any better no. the Schiit Valhalla and UDH-100 are completely silent and work just as great. 

The USB on the UDH-100 is SUPERB. there is just driver issues that Nuforce is fixing. yes the UDH-100 is very much better than the HDP. as for power well... I always have my UDH-100's analog out hooked into the AUX of a vintage Kenwood KR-7400 and that drives headphones like crazy it really makes the drivers move, the UDH/valhalla does not even come close in that regard. 

UDH-100 is worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back