nuforce uDAC to Digizoid Zo 2.3
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

USCdeacon

Head-Fier

My current setup is a Macbok Pro -> NuForce uDAC (1st Gen) -> Audio-Technica ATH-M50's (I actually prefer my M50s to my TF10s with this setup.  Am I crazy? :p).​

With that said, I've been interested in the DigiZoid Zo 2.3 - I'm torn.  The Zo would function fine going in between my iPhone 4s and my M50s for on the go use.  The problem is with the  setup described above.  ​

​

I want a good DAC feeding the Zo... but am unsure how this is possible.  I don't want to connect the Zo to the uDAC's headphone out as this will cause double amping and less clarity/distortion.  Any idea or recommendations?  ​

Thanks in advance! 
redface.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Well from my testing, ZO seems to work differently regarding "double-amping" not causing issues as most "normal" amps would. In fact I very much like the sound of ZO2 when used out of the headphone jack BUT then it heavily depends on the quality of the DAC/amp on how good the result will be (don't expect miracles out of an iPod/iPhone for example xD). But with nuForce uDAC I wouldn't be worried about that. =)

So the moral of the story, the better source used, the better it'll work out of headphone jack. If source is low quality, bypassing the internal amp would bring a bigger advantage than if the source is very high quality to begin with. I would treat the ZO more like a sound processing & volume boost (in high gain only with fixed volume so headphone jack has to be used anyway!) device than a traditional amp.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, ZO usually behave quite well when double amped, just set it to high-gain (fixed volume) mode and use the uDAC to control the volume. uDAC has a pseudo-lineout (the RCA connection) on the back you can use to connect to the ZO, just needs a RCA-to-mini cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back