NuForce NE-7M
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 43
Another price range, the IE8. Soundstage is very important to me and this is where the IE8 excels, not that it is a slouch at everything else. But of course, the price is much higher, as is the performance.

And I can understand the amp desire more now, as from what I have read iPods do improve quite a bit with a LOD and amp.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 43
So, is there any amp you might recommend? The M50s should be easy to drive so I don't think I would really have a problem powering whichever headphone (if I got the NE-7m) no matter the amp. I'd kind of like one with a DAC because I would probably use it on my computer too.

I've been considering the Icon Mobile and the Bithead mostly...I'd like a D2 boa or a Mini3 but those are another price range...

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #18 of 43
I am not saying the Icon Mobile is a bad amp. In that price space the Mini3 has a lot of positive reviews as does the T4. The E5 works great with my IE8, but again does next to nothing for my NE-7. Check out here.

I don't know how other amps work with the NE-7, might be able to find more info if you search for it. If you read here, HPA talks about some amps with the NE-7 and RE2 in the first post.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #19 of 43
I am seriously the worst decision maker ever. I think the NE-7m is the best choice for me (I'm a college student and I need to block out noise sometimes) but the RE2/E5 combo on head-direct is only $50...I could always use the ATH-M50s if I really need isolation I suppose.

The Mini3 seems just over my price range probably ($150 where I've seen it). The T4 is a maybe, but is there anywhere to buy it besides the iBasso website? I guess NuForce and Headroom both have liberal return policies...but I don't really want to rent equipment.

Life is so much more simple without Head-Fi.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Life is so much more simple without Head-Fi.

Ain't that the truth!

Quote:

I am seriously the worst decision maker ever. I think the NE-7m is the best choice for me (I'm a college student and I need to block out noise sometimes) but the RE2/E5 combo on head-direct is only $50...I could always use the ATH-M50s if I really need isolation I suppose.

The Mini3 seems just over my price range probably ($150 where I've seen it). The T4 is a maybe, but is there anywhere to buy it besides the iBasso website? I guess NuForce and Headroom both have liberal return policies...but I don't really want to rent equipment.

I have the same problem, I can't decide on what I want and don't want to buy and then not like it and return. I did that a little at the beginning which helped me do decipher what some of the people were saying compared with that I was hearing, but I have not purchased a lot of gear I though I may just because I am not sure how big of an upgrade it really is. I did A/B my E5 with the Shadow at Can Jam with my IE8, and while the Shadow is definitely better, to me, not $400 worth!

As HPA said in his RE2/E5 review, the E5 does stack up well against the T4, but is not as good. The Icon Mobile does have a wider stage via USB than the E5, but if you are not going to use it that way, I don't really know what the answer is. Another problem is burn in, as amps usually do better with a lot (think 500+) hours of burn in, so it is hard to make an out of the box judgment (not sure how much time was on the Shadow).

Ultimately your decision should be one that you can live with for a while. I am still in the "get the best IEM you can" camp.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 43
Thanks for the continued response. I will, however, most likely use whatever amp I get as a portable and a desk amp which is why I kind of want one with a DAC. That's why I was thinking NuForce or Bithead. Nonetheless, still gunna get an E5 no matter what. Also, I wish I could get some really nice IEMs but I don't really have the money to buy myself an amp and IEMs right now, so I'm going to try to score one of those for my birthday...which means that phones like the IE8 is a little above my purchasing ability as of yet.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 43
I wasn't saying get the IE8, that is my current top-o-the-line/favorite.

So you will be hooking up the amp to your computer? If so, the Icon Mobile will work well, but never even read about the Bithead, or if I have nothing stuck in my memory.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 43
There are plenty of threads talking about the Headroom Total Bithead on this site...And I listen to my music out of my iPod half the time and computer the other half, so I want an amp that will be good for both.

By the way, I heard you make LODs...

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 43
Jun 6, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #25 of 43
Ok, thanks anyway, someone told me to ask you in another thread...I've seen some LODs on ebay for like $13 but they are 14 inches long..

Both threads were helpful, I've all but checked a bithead off my list. The mini3 seems like the best choice but I don't think it has a DAC (right?) which I kind of wanted.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #26 of 43
Check out this thread also.

Not a lot of choices with DAC/Amp in the $100 range, at least not portable.

And as far as LODs, this appears to be a good deal. It wouldn't be worth it for me to make something for less than around $30, although it would be with quality parts.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #28 of 43
I would like to throw in that Nuforce's customer service is excellent. The right earbud of my NE-7Ms died on Thursday morning. I opened up a help desk ticket on their website Thursday afternoon. Friday, I received an email from them with a tracking number for my replacement set. They also mentioned that they were sending a postage paid mailer to send the defective set back in. I bet you wouldn't get this kind of attention and quick turn around from some of the bigger companies.

Kudos to Nuforce.
beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 43
Average Joe: I've already thoroughly read that last link...As for the others, I suppose I could go with that LOD adapter and then just use a regular mini-mini...I don't have a high quality one though, would that matter?

I'm reading through that long review of the Icon Mobile right now...Great find. You continue to be of great help!

slowpickr: It's good to hear that their service is great. I know skullcandy is not loved in these parts, but I had a similar experience with them when my smokin buds broke (lifetime warranty for defects and %50 off if you break them by user error [step on them, etc]). I did have to pay for shipping my old phones back, however.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wouldn't be worth it for me to make something for less than around $30, although it would be with quality parts.

By the way, does this mean you are still willing to make them for a ~$30 price tag or was that mentioned in passing?

Edit: Is this as cheap as it looks? Would that connector you linked me to be any better? (This is $6 cheaper...That's at least 1 meal for a starving college student!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back