NuForce NE-7M
Jun 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

AfricanProphet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying a new pair of IEMs. I am currently using a pair of Skullcandy smokin buds (ATH-M50 for my full headphones) and am thinking of an upgrade for when I just wanna keep things small.

Couple of questions: Are these the best choice for relatively inexpensive IEMs? I don't have a specific price range, but the cheaper the better as I am a starving college student (and phones that could fit into the price range of a bday gift would be ideal
wink.gif
). Does $50 sound about right, or a good price, for a pair of these? Also, I know Scullcandy headphones don't get a lot of love around here. Can someone tell me what exactly makes these headphones undesirable?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 43
One of my in laws was in town visiting last weekend and he brought his Skullcandy IEMs he bought when his others broke. He said he couldn't believe how bad they sounded, and he is not a head-fier or an audiophile. I let him listen to my NE-7 and he agreed that it was way better.

But is the NE-7 the best in that price range? Arguably yes, but the RE2 may have better mids, but at the expense of bass. The PK3 is great for $40, but not as bassy and doesn't have the treble extension, and it is also a ear bud.

I do like my NE-7 and wouldn't trade it for some $100 IEMs I heard at Can Jam.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 43
I've never heard any Skullcandy stuff before but I think most people say they just have poor bass and clarity and are only popular due to good marketing or being stylish. Style > substance for the majority of people.

The NE7M's are great for the price but I definitely like them best with Comply T400 tips, which is like an extra $20.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NE7M's are great for the price but I definitely like them best with Comply T400 tips, which is like an extra $20.

That seems pretty steep for tips for a newbie.

I thought about the PK3s but I'm worried that they may be uncomfortable...they look like regular ibuds to me. Anyone worn these before?

I'm thinking about getting (maybe this summer) a bithead, nuforce icon mobile, or d2 boa, then I'm for sure getting a fiio e5 just for use with my buds. I'm assuming this would help any bass problems with buds, right?

Any other suggestions? Still leaning to the NuForce NE7M

Edit: doing more research and pretty sure on NE7M over RE2...any other suggestions for tips that DONT cost $20? Or are the stock tips good enough?

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 43
I dont think ne-7m will make someone unhappy at all.It has good details.good isolation and good bass.and 49 usd is really cheap for them..I can say I am very happy with my purchase with them and I recommend them anyone who need new decent earphones..

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 43
The PK3 was uncomfortable at first, I did get used to it. The stock NE-7 tips fit me well with my ear placement.

I am not sure how much an amp will help the NE-7 as I don't notice an improvement when using the NE-7 with my E5 vs Fuze HP out.

If you are thinking of getting an amp, I say spend more on headphones as the headphones make the most difference.

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 43
^^
Nice post

I know headphones are the most important component to my setup, but i really dont have the money to spend on something like Turbines or anything better. Also, I know that my fulls (M50) which are in the mail shouldnt really need to be amped either. However, because I havent found another way to experience an amp first hand (not that I don't believe you, but I want to experience all the things I read about here) I figured maybe buying a couple cheap amps like an E5 and another for 50-100 bucks (eventually) might get me started.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 43
By all means try what you want and can, but if there is any way you can say get the NE-7 and be happy with that for a longer time than you normally would, and spend the money on better HPs, you will be better off in the long run!

That being said, I did buy the E5 due to curiosity and it does make a (IMO big) difference via my Fuze with my IE8, but that is a much higher resolution IEM than the NE-7.

And you can try your luck looking for a local meet here.

With that being said, both the PK3 and NE-7 have their strengths and weaknesses. What type of music do you primarily listen to?

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 43
I'll respond in order...

First off, anything is better than what I'm using for IEMs right now...And I'd like to find something that I might be able to ask for as a gift for my upcoming birthday in about 2 months (the cheaper the better as I will request an amp as well).

I still think I'm gunna try to E5 just as a starting point...it would also give me something to compare to a real amp eventually.

I've checked on that board for a meet. The only thing even remotely close is the Seattle thing being organized, but that is supposedly for "vinyl junkies." As I live in Portland, it's 3 hours drive nonetheless.

I primarily listen to rap/hip hop (mostly underground but some mainstream) and a lot of hard rock. Techno on occasion...

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 43
Ok, this might sound bad, but my brother dropped major cash on some bose QC2s or QC3s (dont know) and some bose in ears. I really want better quality phones than him (I told you it would sound bad)...So are headphones like the NE7Ms better than the Bose In Ears or would I need to spend more money? Anyone listened to a lot of IEMs including the Bose?

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll respond in order...

First off, anything is better than what I'm using for IEMs right now...And I'd like to find something that I might be able to ask for as a gift for my upcoming birthday in about 2 months (the cheaper the better as I will request an amp as well).

I still think I'm gunna try to E5 just as a starting point...it would also give me something to compare to a real amp eventually.

Still think an amp isn't really an upgrade with the headphones I have heard at the $50 range. The only reason to get one would be because your DAP doesn't have a good amp section, I have a cheap USB stick DAP that is powered by a AAA battery and the E5 really helps, but it still isn't as good as my Clip.

Quote:

I've checked on that board for a meet. The only thing even remotely close is the Seattle thing being organized, but that is supposedly for "vinyl junkies." As I live in Portland, it's 3 hours drive nonetheless.

I primarily listen to rap/hip hop (mostly underground but some mainstream) and a lot of hard rock. Techno on occasion...

You may want to post in the thread and see what equipment people will be bringing, and also post your situation. They will hopefully let you know if they have equipment that could help you decide, and if they are willing to bring it. The best way IMO would be to listen to headphones with your source/music.

And I do think the NE-7 is great with rap/hip hop and techno, and good with hard rock.

Quote:

Ok, this might sound bad, but my brother dropped major cash on some bose QC2s or QC3s (dont know) and some bose in ears. I really want better quality phones than him (I told you it would sound bad)...So are headphones like the NE7Ms better than the Bose In Ears or would I need to spend more money? Anyone listened to a lot of IEMs including the Bose?

Bose isn't liked much around here. The NE-7 should blow away the Boss in ears, as from what I have read they are very bassy, but not balanced or detailed. Hopefully others will be able to expand on this. I have only heard Bose QC3s and wasn't overly impressed for the price.

Maybe you can get Amex gift cards and use them to buy the Turbine, which I heard at Can Jam and though sounded very good for the price, I forgot where, but there is a place selling them for $99!

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 43
Well it sounds like the NE-7M is a good choice (unless somehow I get a pair of Turbines). Those are $99 at Futureshop I believe...which is the Canadian Best Buy. Best Buy in the US has Turbines for $179. Ebay, however, has a couple on BIN for $110 and some up for auction that might go under $100.

Regarding the rest of your post, I always respect someone who tries to save me some money (thanks!) but I know a lot of people on head-fi use portable amps with the same DAP as me. Also, I've heard the NE-7Ms are supposed to be great with an Icon Mobile (but who knows I guess). Depending on how I like the sound on whatever IEMs I end up getting, they may or may not be my main portable phones because I am willing to carry around my ATH-M50s. I know these don't particularly need the amp either but I keep hearing that everything sounds better with an amp...I'm still debating and I really appreciate everything you've had to add, so if you have a response please respond.

Also, I probably will post on that thread, thanks for the recommendation.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Also, I've heard the NE-7Ms are supposed to be great with an Icon Mobile (but who knows I guess).

I will know in a few days.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 43
My knocks against the NE-7 are the mids seem somewhat recessed compared to some of my other IEMs (well, all of them, but it is really evident to me compared to the ADDIEM & PK3 which are bass light comparatively), a slight boomieness, and the soundstage, while wide, is not good front to back. I just specifically listened for the boomieness, but it wasn't very minimal compared to how it used to be, must be due to the additional time on the IEMs (maybe 500+ hours, who knows), DAP burn in, or both.

The positives are the soundstage they have is very wide, they have fantastic bass depth and impact, great treble extension (that doesn't sound off to me like so many lower end headphones), and they have great detail for the price. They are my second favorite for electronic music (trance, house, hip hop, etc.) and do sound good with everything.

I had the Icon Mobile for a short period of time, and all it did for my NE-7 was to control the bass. The Icon Mobile is a bright amp so it reduced the bass in my setup, which I didn't like; it is not my cup of tea. Used as a DAC, it is a step up from onboard sound cards.

@ AfricanProphet: what DAP do you have?

@ jonathanjong: Interested to hear your take on the NE-7 and IM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back