NuForce Icon HD or the Yulong D100 MKII?
Aug 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Biscuitz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to amps and DACs. But I've done some research, and I can't seem to get a consensus on which unit is the better unit for my setup.

I listen to music exclusively on my computer. I'm just looking for a USB amp/DAC that is fairly compact, so I'd prefer a single unit. I've seemed to narrow it down to the Yulong D100 MKII and the NuForce Icon HD. The HD is the stripped down version of the HDP in terms of features, but it suffices for my needs, and shaves off $100.

My headphones of choice are Grado SR325i's.

From what I've read, it seems that the amp in the HD might outperform the D100's. And as for the DACs, I've read the D100's DAC outperforms the HD's. So, since I am not so knowledgable, I thought I'd make a thread and ask which unit might pair better with my Grado SR325i's? I'm not sure what would benefit these headphones more - a more able DAC or a more able amp.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 5
I was faced with the same dilemna. In the end, I prefered the ease of dealing with Amazon to the uncertainty of buying from faraway ebay sellers and chose the (very compact) HDP. I'm very happy with it, be it as DAC or headphone amp (driving a HD600). Should it fail, I have a two year warranty, and a retailer I can trust and talk to on the phone. Those things are important too.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Now, NuForce explicitly says the Icon HD has the same DAC as in the HDP. But it doesn't seem to mention the amp. Am I getting a less able amp in the HD than the HDP? From what I've read, the amp seems to be the HDP's strong point, so I wouldn't want to compromise that with the HD.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 5
A Nuforce spokesman had this to say, on this very forum :

"We just release Icon HD $349, a saving of $100 if you do not care about SPDIF DAC or the preamp.
It is just a USB DAC with RCA and headphone outputs identical to HDP."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back