Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
May 7, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #181 of 533
I'll tell you what...because I always try to be honest to myself...I have to say the darkish signature of the HEM6 is so intriguing to me. I still stand by the comparisons and notes in my review, but when I stop comparing the HEM6 to any of my other headphones, there's a way its presentation grows on you. Still very un-fatiguing and relaxing but you also start to feel like you're not missing out on anything in the music. Call it wonders of our brains or what you will, but it's becoming such a uniquely capable listen to me. I really think if you're a fan of the Audeze sound (and maybe even something like the Nighthawk) you may really like the HEM6. If you're not or never thought you'd dig this sound profile, like myself, try to keep your mind/ears open and they may just surprise you like they are me...wow...it might not have been the sound profile I "wanted" but it just might be what I "needed." Given the choice, I'm starting to no longer feel that one should simply discount the HEM6 and hop to the HEM8...yeah...

Please if anyone has a set of unused medium Comply T-100 tips from their HEM package, and you don't mind parting with them, kindly PM me (I want to keep a backup set of these Comply's). Thanks.

May 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #183 of 533
May 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #184 of 533
@Hi-Fi EDU: And that's exactly why people shouldn't rush to judgement. Good on you for sticking with and reporting back in!
beerchug.gif

Wise words, not only in audio but in life, thanks. I continue to grow and gain more understanding in this rewarding, audiophile journey of ours. Accordingly, I made an amendment to the end of my review. I now have no doubt that the HEM6 are close to my "endgame" sound signature. To me, although they could still use a subtle boost around about that upper mids region to aid certain aforementioned timbres, it's not that bad at all. Nothing that very minor EQ can't alleviate. I'd love to see the frequency response measurements for these HEMs.

Long story short: NuForce/Optoma did an impressive job with the HEM6, IMHO. I'm trying hard to not engage in hyperbole but in such a short time they've actually changed how I perceive music, especially through headphones. I now feel like I'm getting closer to what I think music should sound like. To my surprise, one of my headphones might now be on the chopping block...the 400i...there, I said it out loud.

Again: Please if anyone has a set of unused medium Comply T-100 tips from their HEM package, and you don't mind parting with them, kindly PM me.

May 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #185 of 533
Based on the above comments, if any of the Massdrop Blue Box drop members have an HEM6 they are looking to trade or sell, drop me a PM - very interested in phones with a darker signature and based on how much I have enjoyed the HEM2, would love to check out the 6 so might be able to do someone a deal if they are looking to move it on! :wink:

May 10, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #186 of 533
Got my Massdrop delivery yesterday. Slight disappointment seeing HEM 2 on the box label. Mostly went away opening the package, solid packaging, nice cases both, and good accessories besides the pretty little IEMs themselves. Fully went away the second I started listening. 

Mid centric, slight bass tilt, but nothing missing at least as far as typical music is concerned. Extends far both ways from what I can hear, just with slight roll off. Listening to the Interstellar sound track right now, no lack of sub-bass. Highs are sweet, still a little sparkle when its there. Easy to listen to. Mids are the point of the HEM series according to Jyri, well they're not wrong. Clear, quick attack, solid body without being too full.
Stage is not huge but not intimate and definitely has depth. Left right imaging is stellar and layering is not bad either, comes from a wide and cohesive dynamic range I think (if I have that concept right). They're really good at sounds fading in, cutting out, and panning. Every instrument has its place, I really enjoyed listening to Led Zep last night and tracking all the odd stuff their producers got up to (half of it was Page himself if I remember correctly). But it won't put much space between sounds unless the recording dictates. 

Admittedly, they don't deal so well with recordings that are very warm to begin with, although I don't think I have any gear bright enough to correct some recordings, like some Incubus albums, whoever did those is a... person of questionable talent. 

My main criticism would mostly come from tip selection - and that the really thin nozzles are becoming a rarity, so I don't have any other tips that will stay on these. I've ended up using the large stock tips for a slightly shallower fit than is probably ideal. I'm sure I can find something, spin-fits perhaps.

Otherwise, I'm basically sold on a HEM 8 at some point, if they can do this with 1 BA, I want to know what they can do with 4. 

May 10, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #187 of 533
ajaxender: As one FLC man to another, can you see why I was immediately drawn to HEM2 when jyri asked me to check out the lineup? I really like them. Took the lineup to work today for a listen before I have to send them back and chose HEM2 to listen to. Really a very nice IEM.

I hope others read your comments and don't get disappointed if they see the HEM2 box. HEM2 and HEM8 were my personal favorites, and I'd be happy to i.e. either. Better yet both :evil:

May 10, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #188 of 533
Thank you for the amazing and detailed feedback. Comments like this make us want to continue developing new products and walk the extra mile.

Quickly commenting about the ear tips. I have read feedback from other users as well. We are looking into alternatives and considering how to offer broader tip selection in future. 

And as a personal note - I like spin fits with the HEMs. You shouldn´t go too far off with those.

Once again, thank you! 

May 10, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #190 of 533
My budget is closer to HEM2, but anyway I'm curious about the single BA sound and the review from @Jackpot77 makes me feel this might be my type of sound.

May anyone please advice if HEM2 would pair well with iBasso DX50?

Also, has anyone heard another single-BA model, Ortofon E-Q5? I wonder how HEM2 compares to it.

May 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #191 of 533
jackpot: Nice review, man. I'm glad you took the time to let peeps know what you think of HEM2. I really like them. Nice sound and just fantastic ergonomics!

My only suggestion would be do what my buddy haku does and expose a summarized sound signature section but leave the more detailed listening notes inside a spoiler tag. That way, it's easy to get the high level view at a glance and then dive into the details as desired.
:beerchug:

May 12, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #192 of 533
So I order them from mass drop and they were due to arrive last Tuesday. Unfortunately I had left my address incomplete and the parcel wasnt delivered to my house. So in the end I had to contact singpost to initiate a retrieval.sadly due to my mistake the retrieval cost me $21.

However, upon receiving the package today I was pleasantly surprised to receive the hem8.

First off impression is that the hem 8 seems a bit restrain. Music is not as sparkly as I am used to. Nonetheless, I shall try the tip mod. All in all, clarity is top notch so far and the fit and comfort is unparalleled.

May 12, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #193 of 533
jackpot: Nice review, man. I'm glad you took the time to let peeps know what you think of HEM2. I really like them. Nice sound and just fantastic ergonomics!

My only suggestion would be do what my buddy haku does and expose a summarized sound signature section but leave the more detailed listening notes inside a spoiler tag. That way, it's easy to get the high level view at a glance and then dive into the details as desired.
:beerchug:

Thanks man (at least I think that comment was meant for me!). Always looking for tips on how to improve readability of my reviews as I'm still pretty new at all this so will keep the spoiler tag thing in mind.

Trying to track down an HEM6 for comparison with the 2 (not on sale I the UK yet) - any other Massdroppers pick up a 6 they want to leave some impressions on (or sell/trade?)?

May 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #195 of 533
So I order them from mass drop and they were due to arrive last Tuesday. Unfortunately I had left my address incomplete and the parcel wasnt delivered to my house. So in the end I had to contact singpost to initiate a retrieval.sadly due to my mistake the retrieval cost me $21.

However, upon receiving the package today I was pleasantly surprised to receive the hem8.

First off impression is that the hem 8 seems a bit restrain. Music is not as sparkly as I am used to. Nonetheless, I shall try the tip mod. All in all, clarity is top notch so far and the fit and comfort is unparalleled.

It needs to be burnt-in for 48 hours to 'open up', be patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back