Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions
Nov 12, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #376 of 533
If you like K7XX then you will likely hate HEM at stock, at least the HEM6, but I suspect will be the same with HEM8.

I found with $20 I have it sounding it the way I prefer, my preferred headphone is also the K7xx.

Just to clarify, the $20 your talking about is swapping out the filters, correct? Wouldn't want the poster to think you meant a $20 pair of earphones from Walmart, lol :p

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #377 of 533
Yes. I am satisfied with results but if I was to buy IEM again I would choose Etymotic ER4XR instead, but the ergonic shape of HEM fit my ears perfect and I dont want pointy things sticking out of my ears!

But really, I would probably just get the SE215 again if anything was to happen to these HEM6.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #379 of 533
I already owned single and dual driver IEM, wanted a triple. Plus se535 has been on my list for a while, HEM6 is similar design but with newer updated BA. But right now when I need closed headphone this is my preferred choice. Also $249 sealed new was a factor. I definitely do not think these are worth $399.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #380 of 533

For people who have experience with them, are they worth it and is it worth taking a risk on the drop for them? For 159 is even the HEM2 worth it if that's the one I get, or if I am actually thinking about spending ~150 bucks or so on a pair of IEMs I might not even use that much, is there something better I should look at or think about?

The HEM2 is an excellent IEM. In fact, I like even more than the HEM8. The HEM8 does some things technically better but IMO, the HEM2 is more coherent and enjoyable to listen to. That it's a single BA continues to blow my mind.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #381 of 533
The HEM2 is an excellent IEM. In fact, I like even more than the HEM8. The HEM8 does some things technically better but IMO, the HEM2 is more coherent and enjoyable to listen to. That it's a single BA continues to blow my mind.

Yes, HEM2 is the best single BA I've heard. Maybe not the most technical, but certainly the most enjoyable.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #382 of 533
Hey, I'm also considering joining the Massdrop. Do you guys think I would enjoy the sound signature of the HEM series if I'm currently using and enjoying the Vmoda M100 and Thinksound TS01? Also has anyone listened to the RHA T20? How does the HEM series compare to the RHA T20?

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #383 of 533
WailingWalrus: Oh man, it's been awhile since I've heard the Thinksound IEM, and I've never heard the Vmoda M100. I have heard the RHA T20, though.

So, the HEM lineup has quite a range of sound signatures. I'd suggest you take a look at my HEM8 review. It contains a brief comparison there of each of the HEM IEM. Off the top of my head, I bet you'd immediately prefer HEM2. I know I clicked with it immediately coming from IEM like RHA T20 and FLC8S. In addition to my thoughts on HEM2 in my HEM8 review, I'd also point you to shigzeo's excellent review of HEM2. It's the most enjoyable single BA IEM I've heard. They're also really damn comfortable. And shigzeo snapped the cable with his bare hands like Superman, lol! (I haven't had any problems with it, though.)

With RHA T20, you'll get more bass impact without compromising bass clarity / resolution and crisper highs that some find fatiguing but can be controlled with the filters and tip selection. I'd suggest starting with the Bass filter abs foam tips until you've burned them in a bit age then moving up to the Reference for and then on to silicon tips. I'd also suggest avoiding the Treble filter unless you really, really like your highs to be ultra-defined. Due to the driver bass and treble presence, T20 also have a bit less mid presence. Comfort is good, but the memory wire section is a bit thick and is less ergonomic than the HEM cables. But in the other hand, there's no way shigzeo is going to tear apart T20's cable, Superman strength notwithstanding :wink:

I hope that was useful. If you'd like to see some quick n dirty FR curves comparing the two, PM me :)

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #384 of 533
WailingWalrus: Oh man, it's been awhile since I've heard the Thinksound IEM, and I've never heard the Vmoda M100. I have heard the RHA T20, though.

So, the HEM lineup has quite a range of sound signatures. I'd suggest you take a look at my HEM8 review. It contains a brief comparison there of each of the HEM IEM. Off the top of my head, I bet you'd immediately prefer HEM2. I know I clicked with it immediately coming from IEM like RHA T20 and FLC8S. In addition to my thoughts on HEM2 in my HEM8 review, I'd also point you to shigzeo's excellent review of HEM2. It's the most enjoyable single BA IEM I've heard. They're also really damn comfortable. And shigzeo snapped the cable with his bare hands like Superman, lol! (I haven't had any problems with it, though.)

With RHA T20, you'll get more bass impact without compromising bass clarity / resolution and crisper highs that some find fatiguing but can be controlled with the filters and tip selection. I'd suggest starting with the Bass filter abs foam tips until you've burned them in a bit age then moving up to the Reference for and then on to silicon tips. I'd also suggest avoiding the Treble filter unless you really, really like your highs to be ultra-defined. Due to the driver bass and treble presence, T20 also have a bit less mid presence. Comfort is good, but the memory wire section is a bit thick and is less ergonomic than the HEM cables. But in the other hand, there's no way shigzeo is going to tear apart T20's cable, Superman strength notwithstanding :wink:

I hope that was useful. If you'd like to see some quick n dirty FR curves comparing the two, PM me :)

I guess i like my treble ultra defined! Haha just kidding bud!

I'm debating on joining the drop too, sounds interesting ( random earphone) but i have some reservations, most thoughts seem to focused on the hem 2 and hem8.

What about the middle two?!

Been reading this thread and those two seems a bit forgotten

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #385 of 533
Tom22: Hey buddy, how's it going? You should take a look at my HEM8 review, too. I describe how the others compare. Personally, I'm a big fan of HEM2 and HEM8, and shigzeo likes HEM2 and HEM6 (don't think he's heard HEM8 yet). For my tastes, HEM4 is a bit too much on the lean side and HEM6 has a treble peak that gets to me but doesn't bother shigzeo so YMMV.

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #386 of 533
Well there are three reviews on HEM6 including mine. All of us like them, but I like my treble and vocals with a more forward mid than other two. I believe my solution would work for others too.

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #387 of 533
@Tom22: Hey buddy, how's it going? You should take a look at my HEM8 review, too. I describe how the others compare. Personally, I'm a big fan of HEM2 and HEM8, and @shigzeo likes HEM2 and HEM6 (don't think he's heard HEM8 yet). For my tastes, HEM4 is a bit too much on the lean side and HEM6 has a treble peak that gets to me but doesn't bother @shigzeo so YMMV.

Indeed, I've not heard the HEM8 and I've also not heard the HEM4.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #388 of 533
159 is a nice gamble seems if you get a HEM2 still win.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #390 of 533
Depends, with iPod should be fine. My phone though is well known to have rubbish headphone output, so I hear a difference. I wouod avoid warm sounding gear though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back