Nuforce HA-200: High performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone Amplifier
Nov 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #151 of 295
Ah, my mistake. In any event, double amping is not the huge evil that some make it out to be, so don't worry about it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #152 of 295
Well it turns out it may be... I got the amp today, plugged it in RCA to 3.5mm to 6.5mm, and everything mute I can hear A LOT of noise. I was plugged into my main amped-port on my Xense, which is an EMI-shielded card, then plugged it into my onboard. No difference. I am surprised, I can hear the noise over the sound and the sound is distorted at points as well. It goes to zero at about 33% on the amp's knob, but music at this volume isn't quite loud enough and mild distortion is present. It almost is like parts kind of fade in and out. Which is a shame... because what I DO hear I can actually feel the sound and the mids are a LOT better. I am at least convinced that the other setup wasn't working for me. No noise when the amp is plugged RCA --> same cable into iPhone

Not sure WHAT part is the problem. I get the same noise into myonboard WITHOUT the adapter... I'm guessing the conclusion is I Need a DAC?x

If I get a DAC will it change the sound appreciably? Do DACs and amps have to synergize well or is the AMP/headphone combo more important? Any suggestions in the $100-$200 range?

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #153 of 295
Geez at first it sounded like there was something wrong with the amp... but it works just fine from your iphone???

But you get the distortion from the Xense and from the built-in computer jack? I'm not sure what that could possibly be, and I feel like a new dac would not be the solution.

Maybe try it on a laptop, or on a friend's computer first. Something doesn't add up here.

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #154 of 295
I'll pull out my old laptop later but its perfect no noise coming through my surface tablet. I also get the same noise through my pc front outputs. I am surprised though... The xense has an emi shield which is 0% effective... No difference compared to onboard.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #155 of 295
This kind of noise/distortion isn't coming from EMI. I can't even chalk it up to a ground loop. There is something very very odd happening here, and I have no idea what that is. Sorry I can't be more help
confused_face.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #156 of 295
I'm glad this thread came back to life... I was thinking about the HA-200, but then NuForce changed owners, et al., so I took a long excursion into tube-land.

Anyway, I am back to looking at the HA-200, based on the positive review commentary and the new, lower price (seems to be $299 on Amazon).

Most of the comments here are related to driving more difficult 'phones (e.g. HD-650, HE-6). For my HD-650s, I don't see needing to replace my Woo OTL.

I am curious how the HA-200 performs with lower impedance cans, like my Grado RS2i and AQ NightHawks, if anyone cares to comment.

Thanks, in advance.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #157 of 295
It really has more to do with the individual impedance curve of the headphone. The Nighthawk has a flat curve, and even Grados are relatively flat compared to the likes of Sennheiser. So overall it'll be fine.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #158 of 295
^^ That's helpful, thanks.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #159 of 295
Hello all

The optoma HA200 is exactly the same model with the nuforce one.
I entered the ul website and i am not sure i see the same amplification specs ...

http://www.optoma.co.uk/soundproduct/HA200

Specification

General

Peak power output
whatsthis.png

600mW @ 16 Ohm 937mW @ 32 Ohm 530mW @ 100 Ohm 180mW @ 300 Ohm 96.3mW @ 600 Ohm"
Input impedance
whatsthis.png

22k Ohm
Output impedance

5 Ohm
Frequency response
whatsthis.png

10Hz - 20KHz
Signal to noise ratio
whatsthis.png

>106dB
Total harmonic distortion
whatsthis.png

0.0005%
Power supply

115V/230V

Output voltage

393mW @ 16 Ohm 747mW @ 32 Ohm 383mW @ 100 Ohm 129mW @ 300 Ohm 70mW @ 600 Ohm
Volume control

Rotory
Nominal input level

0.5V
Recommended headphone impedance

32 to 600 Ohm
Balanced mode
whatsthis.png

200 Ohm, 14.6Vrms
Connections input

RCA L+R, single XLR
Connections output

6.3mm Stereo jack, single XLR

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #161 of 295
I'm glad this thread came back to life... I was thinking about the HA-200, but then NuForce changed owners, et al., so I took a long excursion into tube-land.

Anyway, I am back to looking at the HA-200, based on the positive review commentary and the new, lower price (seems to be $299 on Amazon).

Most of the comments here are related to driving more difficult 'phones (e.g. HD-650, HE-6). For my HD-650s, I don't see needing to replace my Woo OTL.

I am curious how the HA-200 performs with lower impedance cans, like my Grado RS2i and AQ NightHawks, if anyone cares to comment.

Thanks, in advance.

I use the Nuforce with my Fostex TH600. Works great, though there is a tiny bit of noise I cant hear with the harder to drive HE-400i. Though it drives the 400i perfectly well. The only headphone I have that the nuforce cant power is the AKG k340.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #162 of 295
  Interesting - it certainly looks like the original Nuforce HA200.  Perhaps the specs are just more "honest."

I seem to recall the old specs not really making much sense in the first place. Like someone grabbed some datasheet stuff and simply used ohm's law to calculate outputs. I think I ran some of my own measurements in my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back