Nuforce HA-200: High performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone Amplifier
Mar 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #46 of 295
For the specific matchup with the HD650, I'd give the easy win to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (no speedball, I'd still give the nod to the Crack but not as decisive)

For high impedance Beyers and AKG's, it'd be a tossup (with balanced swinging obviously in favour of the Nuforce). Planars is no contest for the Nuforce.

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #47 of 295
Right now I'm looking for something specifically for the HD650, so I'll probably find somebody to build a Crack kit for me since I don't have much electronics experience (hence why I'm ditching my 1100 instead of trying to fix it myself). I don't currently have any planar in the house, since my MD is used exclusively in the office nowadays, but if I buy an LCD-2 or HE-series I'll come back to this thread. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #48 of 295
When you guys talk about HAP-100 vs HAP-200, are you talking only about a double HAP200 or  have you tried comparing them in single mode?  Because I would be interested how they compare 1 vs 1,  without the balanced mode, since I assume that most of the advantage of the HAP-200 comes from balanced amping, not the actual amps.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #49 of 295
The person that wil build my crack and speedball for me was enthused to do it. I can pass his name in a pm if you'd like.
For the specific matchup with the HD650, I'd give the easy win to the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (no speedball, I'd still give the nod to the Crack but not as decisive)

For high impedance Beyers and AKG's, it'd be a tossup (with balanced swinging obviously in favour of the Nuforce). Planars is no contest for the Nuforce.

I willl have all three together shortly fwiw. I already have the ha 200 and soon to have the crack and speedball w hd650 soon.

It will be fun to compare them but with all the hype I expect the crack to win.

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #50 of 295
  When you guys talk about HAP-100 vs HAP-200, are you talking only about a double HAP200 or  have you tried comparing them in single mode?  Because I would be interested how they compare 1 vs 1,  without the balanced mode, since I assume that most of the advantage of the HAP-200 comes from balanced amping, not the actual amps.

Any of the comparisons I've noted are more or less the same with the HA-200 in single or balanced mode. Balanced simply pushes the performance up a notch and gives you more headroom for inefficient cans (and handy since the HA-200 has a somewhat low gain).

The HA-200 is a better amp for handling a wide variety of headphones. The HAP-100 meshes really well with high impedance cans of moderate sensitivity (I really liked the pairing with the Senn HD800)

If you're looking for an amp only, the HA-200 I think should be the clear choice unless you're pairing specifically with something like the HD800. If you want something with preamp capability, well, then you pick the preamp. Duh.

It will be fun to compare them but with all the hype I expect the crack to win.

My favourite pairings ever with...
Crack: Senn HD600/650, AKG K240 Sextett
HAP-100: Senn HD800
HA-200 balanced: HE-6

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 295

If you're looking for an amp only, the HA-200 I think should be the clear choice unless you're pairing specifically with something like the HD800. If you want something with preamp capability, well, then you pick the preamp. Duh.

My issue is that I have a large variety of headphones. T1's and HD650's are my main serious listening headphones, but I don't listen to them as much as my other headphones which are in majority low impedance, so to me it's a question of whether I should focus on getting the best performance out of the T1's and let other headphones suffer for it, or get an amp that will drive all headphones equally well, but then T1's wont shine as much.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #53 of 295
I have yet to find a Beyer that I actually like (with the possible exception of the DT250/250), but the closest I ever came to liking the DT880 was from the Crack.

My issue is that I have a large variety of headphones. T1's and HD650's are my main serious listening headphones, but I don't listen to them as much as my other headphones which are in majority low impedance, so to me it's a question of whether I should focus on getting the best performance out of the T1's and let other headphones suffer for it, or get an amp that will drive all headphones equally well, but then T1's wont shine as much.

Seems like you're headed down the road to owning multiple amps anyways. Buy everything and let your credit card weep.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #55 of 295
Hi, yes I'm working on it; hopefully not too much longer. I've had some health issues come up lately and had to put various life things on hold for a bit. But if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them (it actually makes writing the resulting review easier as it prompts more things to write about)

I will say this though: I am very pleased with the sound and this is the first upgrade in a while that has really grabbed my attention. I've compared directly with a Yulong DA8 and a few Violectric amps and the Nuforce comes out ahead for me with the HE-6. My only gripe is the size of it since I'm coming from a relatively compact rig. I've assembled "better" sounding amps before, but went back to my smaller rig for the size/performance ratio. The HA-200 as monoblocks are making me wish I had bigger desk...

May 20, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #56 of 295
  Hi, yes I'm working on it; hopefully not too much longer. I've had some health issues come up lately and had to put various life things on hold for a bit. But if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them (it actually makes writing the resulting review easier as it prompts more things to write about)

I will say this though: I am very pleased with the sound and this is the first upgrade in a while that has really grabbed my attention. I've compared directly with a Yulong DA8 and a few Violectric amps and the Nuforce comes out ahead for me with the HE-6. My only gripe is the size of it since I'm coming from a relatively compact rig. I've assembled "better" sounding amps before, but went back to my smaller rig for the size/performance ratio. The HA-200 as monoblocks are making me wish I had bigger desk...

Very glad to read that... the HA-200 is on my short list as an upgrade for my Icon HDP + LPS-1.  I recall reading you were a fan of the HDP, so I will be curious to read your thoughts as an upgrade for that model, purely as a headphone amp (I've stopped using it as a DAC, replacing it with the mLink + rDac).

I hope your health issues are nothing serious and are getting better.

May 20, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #57 of 295

Thanks for the prompt reply. I hope you will be in the best of health soon. Do you think there is a sound signature of the amp? 

May 20, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #58 of 295

Very glad to read that... the HA-200 is on my short list as an upgrade for my Icon HDP + LPS-1.  I recall reading you were a fan of the HDP, so I will be curious to read your thoughts as an upgrade for that model, purely as a headphone amp (I've stopped using it as a DAC, replacing it with the mLink + rDac).

My rig before was the HDP + LPS + Icon2 (serving as power amp). I do quite like the amp in the HDP when powered by the LPS. Compared to the HA-200 though... no contest. Even with HDP into Icon2, it's still no contest. The difference is immediately and viscerally apparent (even though the Icon2 has more "power").

I think Nuforce needs to work on their usb implementation to improve their dacs. Having to choose the sample rate is quite annoying as well when it should autodetect.

Do you think there is a sound signature of the amp? 

In one word: Punchy.

May 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #60 of 295
  Any more review?
Why isn't this thing more popular? it looks amazing( on paper at least)

I am wondering the same thing; if you trawl through the "show me your rig" forums, you will see little-to-no NuForce gear on display. I've always liked what I have, so far, and I agree - for the price and on paper, the HA-200 looks like a slam-dunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back