Nu Force Icon Mobile Question
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ickle97116084

New Head-Fier
I have had an ICON Mobile for quite a few months now and have spent well over 100+ hours of listening. From my PC as a DAC/AMP the sound quality is great, I certainly know there is a noticeable difference when using the amp verses without. However, When plugged into my Cowon S9 and using my PL30s I actually feel there is something missing. When I remove the amp and use the IEMs alone there does seem to be more impact. I also note the gain switch has quite an effect on the sound of the device too. I have tried both + and - and as far as I can tell + sounds like it artificially boosts (or amplifies) the sound and the - does very little. 

As this is my first AMP am I expecting too much from this little fella to give me any benefit listening through my Cowon S9 (and PL30s), would a more expensive AMP make any difference? I am very patiently waiting for a pair of Sennheiser IE8 IEMS coutesy of Amazon and my very generous wife. Will these benefit more from amping than the PL30s?

Cheers,

Ickle

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 2
The "artificial boost" you're getting out of the "+" and the "-" "doing very little" is because your S9 doesn't have a fixed level line out. The + is for high-impedance cans and the - is for most 32ohm and below head/earphones.

Apart from getting a source with a fixed level line out, try increasing the volume on the S9 first. Although the circuit for the headphone out is still different from a fixed output, so buying a better amp might not give you the results you might expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back