Oct 12, 2001 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
Damint U GUYS always convince me in an out of cans

smily_headphones1.gif
!!!

well anyways...
my selection has been set to this

Rs2 = which I have demo'd and I think are great... I say they are a warmer less trebly 325 (almost the damn same otherwise)

CD3000 = which I have never heard but always hear just purely amazing revews (asides from the V6's pretty strange for sony)

So that is now what I have decided to spend muh money on

NOW
GUYS PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS
smily_headphones1.gif

I want an all purpose phone, doesn't matter about whether or not it's open or not

I want it to be portably driven as well at times (of course I can buy an amp proabably an airhead max or if I get a grado the ra-1)

I want soundstage, details, smoothness and proper warmness
I want it to have full rich sound...

everything pretty much haha

so tell me which one of these two I should get
or maybe even give me more of a suggestion? i'm still open to it...

btw... NO SENNHEISER not to bash sennheiser but um... 300 ohm impedence... man I have to push as much power through these as my klipsch (jk) but I don't think the 580/600 (which are the only senns I like) would be pratical for portable useage (especially without an amp).

Thanks

Oct 12, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 25
Well, r3cc0s, I can't compare the RS-2s to the CD3000s, but I can compare the CD3000s to the RS-1s. I would characterize the sound characteristics of the CD3000 as bright, punchy, dynamic sounding. Because they are completely circumaural, they are very enveloping in their sound.......and extremely comfortable as well. You really get the sense of space that the recording was made in. The RS-1s, to my ears, are actually smoother and more mellow, with a richer lower midrange that gives added weight to vocals. Neither one requires an amp, but the sound does improve with one. For portable use, I find my JMT DBSE amp does a great job on both.
Because of the very different sonic qualities of the two excellent headphones you are considering, I would say that an audition would be in order. For that amount of money, you should make sure you'll like what you're getting. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 25
Pretty much I like the sound of the Rs-2's alot... it's a bit more bright than the rs-1's and has simular characteristics...
I have heard that the 3000's are much better than the 325's

yet that the 325s are almost the same as the rs2's
frown.gif

I dunno

The akg 501 could be a possibility as I can buy a headphone amp as well because it's much less in cost.

Oct 12, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 25
One more vote for the CD3000.

I just got them 2 weeks ago and though not entirely broken in, I can say that the sound is very good and detailed with a big and deep soundstage. Also, they drive portable CDP very well, but the sound is not as good as a good component CDP.
One thing to keep in mind is that they're HUGE but are extremely comfortable.

Oct 13, 2001 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 25
At a first look I'd say there is no hesitation. The CD3000 are a lot sweeter and should be the first choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course since you will be paying and it is always a matter of personal preference, there is nothing like listening to both first.

This review might give you a taste of the Grado sound vs CD3k sound... of course it refers to the RS-1, which is better than the RS-2.

http://www.sdinfo.com/volume_4_1/sonygrado.html

Oct 13, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 25
I think Joe LW wisely sums up the response........there is no clear
"best" among the top models, you must listen yourself to determine which you prefer, which may be different than majority here.

Grado RS 1 & 2 ?
Sony CD3000 ?
Senn HD600 ?

I think all the above are "Class A" cans, just a matter of personal preference......be nice to have them all eventually! The Senn and Sony models are discounted more heavily from retail making them more affordable.

BTW in no way will I concede that Sony CD3000 is clearly better
than Grado RS series......team Grado has arrived!

Also it seems a waste of money really to spend this much money for high end cans and run them straight out of a portable CDP, since you will not hear what they can really sound like, why not get a good $2-300 amp first?

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I think Joe LW wisely sums up the response........there is no clear
"best" among the top models, you must listen yourself to determine which you prefer, which may be different than majority here.

Grado RS 1 & 2 ?
Sony CD3000 ?
Senn HD600 ?

I think all the above are "Class A" cans, just a matter of personal preference......be nice to have them all eventually! The Senn and Sony models are discounted more heavily from retail making them more affordable.

BTW in no way will I concede that Sony CD3000 is clearly better
than Grado RS series......team Grado has arrived!

Also it seems a waste of money really to spend this much money for high end cans and run them straight out of a portable CDP, since you will not hear what they can really sound like, why not get a good $2-300 amp first?

Great advice here. You really should look into getting a good amp before spending this much on a pair of 'phones. Because the better they are, the more they benefit from an amp. I mean, I noticed a huge difference when upgrading my amp from the Creek to the Headmaster (I have the CD3ks), and I don't even have a top-class source.

[whisper]Get the Sonys, they rule!
biggrin.gif
[/whisper]

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 25
Having had the K1000, Grado 325, and the CD3000, one thing I notice strongly is the absence of an enclosure on the K1k and 325. Especially on the K1000, there isnt much sense that the bass soundwaves exist in a space (which they dont- they are free to escape immeadiately into the atmosphere.) Headphones of long long ago used terrible un-engineered enclosures that resonated in ways the makers didnt bother to understand or deal with. But with the CD3000 Sony tackled enclosure design in a conscious and scientific way. Note too that the drivers in the enclosures of the CD3k are angled towards the ear, unlike most enclosed designs. The advantage of an enclosed design like the CD3k to me is that the low frequency/bass has 'air' that it can control (the air within the enclosures.) This is a good thing. The outer ear can also remain relaxed and natural- instead of being pressed on by earpads like in the Grado design.

Remember that our brain is incredibly sophisticated at recognizing the *spaces* (enclosures) sound is coming from- like a girlfriend yelling at you from across the house, inside the bathroom with the door half open, in the shower. Our brain hears and decodes all that. When enclosure designs like the CD3k are done right, I think they are superior to other types.

Oct 13, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 25
belive me I am planning on getting an amp...
if I get the rs-2's i'll get the Ra-1

if I get the sony 3000 i'll get the airhead max

I'm not up to spending 500 bux on a amp just for the sennheiser 580/600's and they aren't portable, even the amps for them like the clou, I don't have a ac plug on my backpack
smily_headphones1.gif

well if the 590's can keep up with the 3000's or the rs-2 (or maybe even rs-1's I am considering) then i'll look at sennheiser

it's just the akg's, senn's, some beyer's are just too designed for monitoring with high end equipment and I want all purpose cans which can be used portabily as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back