Now that Head-Fi is on Twitter
May 27, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #16 of 33
i actually prefer twitter. i get updates of all the companies and people i 'follow' without having to go through adverts, stupid vampire stuff and loads and loads of privacy infringements.

it could perhaps be that i don't care for facebook at all and think it is silly as i prefer to get to the point, but, i really dislike facebook when compared to the more streamlined and adult, twitter.

May 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm certainly sympathetic to the Facebook/Twitter battle as we all have limited time. Some say it just depends simply on which your friends are on and others that the division is friend versus non-friend. I'm split on that (have multiple accounts) and like shigzeo, the directness and search functionality moves the signal to noise ratio quite a bit above Facebooks. And in the end email/IM/phone gives me what I need for people already a part of my life (though FBs friending - its best feature - has found people from my past I lost touch with - and quickly moved to other forms of communication). Basically, it's easier to filter out the crap on Twitter and find people and information you aren't likely to easily find elsewhere. And for the Facebook defenders, who would deny FB is moving to become more Twitter-like in focus?

I found a use for Twitter (that would have been difficult on FB, in email, RSS, general web, etc.) when a film festival hit town. Without even having an account I was using the Twitterfall page to search for individuals immediate comments/reviews/related-events on the screenings and planned out tickets based on results. Now I'm following a variety of tweets, from those listed in the OP, to finding events in my city, the secret nightly location of the Creme Brûlée Man, to ... yes, likely getting instant news from CanJam via the top of the page link. As mentioned by Cheemo, CanJam will be an interesting test to see if there is a use for members (watching remotely, but also at event). I'll also be posting from CJ (and maybe even a tweet or two from VanJam) for those that want to follow. No strings attached.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 33
Twitter has it uses ... it is excellent for seeing real time what others are experiencing, so it is great to check if some service is down.

Last week, had a colleague who went to Apple's WWDC and he was adding tweets real time - so had first hand info on what was released as it happened.

Obviously, also use Twitter for totally useless purposes like keeping folks up-to-date on what I had for lunch etc. For some people Facebook is just too elaborate - my 70+ year old Dad actually prefers Twitter to Facebook for this reason.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 33
Best use for twitter I've come across. Documenting you philosopher Father's quips. I can't link this due to the filters, but do this: Google crapmydadsays but replace the asterisk with the vowel that fits. Hit the twitter link.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Twitter has it uses ... it is excellent for seeing real time what others are experiencing, so it is great to check if some service is down.

Last week, had a colleague who went to Apple's WWDC and he was adding tweets real time - so had first hand info on what was released as it happened.

Obviously, also use Twitter for totally useless purposes like keeping folks up-to-date on what I had for lunch etc. For some people Facebook is just too elaborate - my 70+ year old Dad actually prefers Twitter to Facebook for this reason.

See thats what i dont get. In a situation like that why not just use MSN or yahoo some IM and keep it private. Why do you have to go posting it where everyone can see it.

As for facebook. If someone wants to find you they will, search a name, look at the profile pic to see if its you. Then they just 411.ca or whatever you n find your phone # n address. Also why do i need to post 500 pics of myself to show off to my 300 friends, which i only really hang out with 20 of them the rest are randoms.

I think it all has to do with people that are full of themselves.

edit: o ya Ishcabible 3000 posts in almost a year What step back

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #23 of 33
Twitter does not necessarily have to be open to public. Mine isn't. As for IM, if you are in different timezones, can be difficult to be online at the same time.

Anyway, some will like it some won't. Dad for example hates IM - feels it puts him on the spot. So if he prefers Twitter, it's fine by me.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 33
how many ways do we need to have 'forms of email' sent to us?

I first started doing email back in the early 80's. in the mid 80's, I actually taught a 1 week course (corp level) in sysadmin of global email systems. even in the 80's email was fast and efficient.

enter the IM age. I don't get it. I never got it. friends and even co-workers are using IM and asking me to join in. I refuse. email does all I need, keeps all the correspondence in one spot (easily searched and archived on my own system) and its also one TCP port to keep open, secure down and manage. having 2 or 3 open ports that 'also do text exchange' seems redundant to me.

if anything, email has gotton faster. someone across the country hits 'send' and in less than 3 seconds I have the message here. do I need it to be faster than that?

I also like having time to compose a reply. having me type while the other guys is actively typing seems absurd. I don't need that kind of distraction
wink.gif

now enter twitter. seemingly an email blaster but using short text bits instead of real emails.

it really seems like a solution looking for a problem. things like that often die out once the 'kick' has worn off.

email is industrial strength and does the job. little bitty text 'mails' that aren't even mail have no place in my world.

....now get off my lawn
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, some will like it some won't. Dad for example hates IM - feels it puts him on the spot. So if he prefers Twitter, it's fine by me.

he and I feel the same way. the idea of knowing that the other guy 'is there, typing' seems like a privacy issue to me. but then again, I don't carry a cellphone or pager and HATE being 'on call'. I lived like that for a while (pager) and hated it, thoroughly.

if I'm at my computer or not; that bit of info is something I guard and don't even give to my employer, to be honest. I like the idea that email is sent, I have time to read and reply and if I reply right then and there or wait an hour or even a day, its no one's business. but if you are on IM, isn't it customary to have some way for the other person to know if you're actively there or not?

suppose I don't WANT to be 'on call' to co-workers or friends, in a realtime basis? suppose I don't like the 'tethering' idea that if I'm behind my computer, I'm required to reply within x amount of time.

send me an email. I'll get to it and reply when it makes sense to me. on my own schedule! not when some message comes in and I feel pressured to reply to it right then and there.

I don't consider it a good thing to have people *precisely* know when I'm online and when I'm not. perhaps its generational (I'm a long long way from my teens and 20's).

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Documenting you philosopher Father's quips.

Or your own. The best par of twitter for me, would be the silly thoughts thrown out. Here are some of the latest from my feed:

"I have nothing good to say about delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol."

" I have a feeling I'm not the only American who just said to themselves, "hey what's the vice president's name?""

"I like to think of diarrhea as "fun ****"

Alas, at least my personal feeds have slowed down. So I sense the craze has passed its peak. Now all I receive are NPR Politics updates; talk about depressing.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

" I have a feeling I'm not the only American who just said to themselves, "hey what's the vice president's name?""

My face just got forcibly acquainted with my palm.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or your own. The best par of twitter for me, would be the silly thoughts thrown out. Here are some of the latest from my feed:

"I like to think of diarrhea as "fun ****"

Alas, at least my personal feeds have slowed down. So I sense the craze has passed its peak. Now all I receive are NPR Politics updates; talk about depressing.

Keep it up, Metal. There's a book deal in the future.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/09/...a-twitter-hit/

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #29 of 33
^ Niiiiiiice.

I can't claim those gems above unfortunately. They belong to Mindy Kaling (The Office), Thomas Lennon (dunno, just popped up on a google search for funny tweeters), and Sarah Silverman. I love Silverman. Incidentally at a bookstore I thumbed a book titled, Stuff White People Like, and SS was mentioned. I'm white. Who woulda thunk it? On the way home, I picked up an iced coffee and rented Teen Wolf for a Michael J Fox film marathon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back