Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy?
May 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

hush4hire

New Head-Fier
Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy? or there are others competitors already kicked its butt in its category?

Most of the people in the forum describe the Re0 as:
  1. Incredible Highs
  2. Incredible Mids
  3. Lack of bass
  4. built issue
  5. bang for the buck

I would like to know which of its contenders already kick its butt.

May 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 64
Now in 2012, Do HiFiMan Re0 still worth to buy? or there are others competitors already kicked its butt in its category?

Most of the people in the forum describe the Re0 as:
  1. Incredible Highs
  2. Incredible Mids
  3. Lack of bass
  4. built issue
  5. bang for the buck

I would like to know which of its contenders already kick its butt.

Vsonic R04

May 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 64
No doubt they are fantastic sounding for the price. But build quality issues and poor quality control between batches of the RE0 has sort of set it back compared to new stuff coming out these days.

May 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 64
I believe if you're looking for an analytical sound the re0's are still one of the best bang-for-buck.

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 64
Mine spent the last year in my desk drawer. Then I got a Digizoid ZO2 amp. It really brings the RE0 to life. Imagine - an RE0 with BASS!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

May 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 64
how about vsonic gr06? can it beat re0 off its sub 100$ category?

I think so, I haven't heard that one, just seen some random reviews that it's mid-centric or something, the R04 updated version has a linear response with nice extension, the R04 flagship version I suspect will easily beat the RE0 since the R04 already has in my book, and the GR07 (flat) and RE262 (mid-centric) definitely will for ~$50 more, or the Sony EX600 if you want more expansive soundspace.

If you like analytical sound the Etymotic HF5 and Ultimate Ears UE700 rule the ~$100 mark, as far as BA drivers are concerned.  NOCS NS400 seems interesting.

The RE0 was always a little bit overrated in it's hype days, often put in the same sentence as Audio Technica CK10 and such... however it offered a nice flat, warm, analytical sound, though not at the levels of RE252 and definitely not RE272.

These days I'd venture the Sony EX600 and Vsonic GR07 are the dynamic driver RE0 successors with distinctly better sound, and RE262 for the sweeter and mid-centric-er category.

May 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

I think so, I haven't heard that one, just seen some random reviews that it's mid-centric or something, the R04 updated version has a linear response with nice extension, the R04 flagship version I suspect will easily beat the RE0 since the R04 already has in my book, and the GR07 (flat) and RE262 (mid-centric) definitely will for ~$50 more, or the Sony EX600 if you want more expansive soundspace.

If you like analytical sound the Etymotic HF5 and Ultimate Ears UE700 rule the ~$100 mark, as far as BA drivers are concerned.  NOCS NS400 seems interesting.

The RE0 was always a little bit overrated in it's hype days, often put in the same sentence as Audio Technica CK10 and such... however it offered a nice flat, warm, analytical sound, though not at the levels of RE252 and definitely not RE272.

These days I'd venture the Sony EX600 and Vsonic GR07 are the dynamic driver RE0 successors with distinctly better sound, and RE262 for the sweeter and mid-centric-er category.

kinda weird that vsonic name their product, 04 is better than 06

May 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 64
Wait... they make both a Re-0 and Re-zero? 

edit- yep

Re-zero $99 16 ohm

Re-0 $79 64 ohms

I just got the Re-zeros, but I haven't spent enough time with them to comment much.

May 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 64
Quote:
I think 2011 and 2012 has been about getting away from bass anemic headphones like the RE0

I'm going to agree with you for the most part...  However, many haven't been going the route of lots of bass amplitude (volume/dB), instead, they are going after span in my mind.  They want the deepest digging bass.  Things like the A161s don't have a lot of bass volume-wise, but dig deeper than I could have imagined.  Same goes for hte ASG-1, both of which are actually really bass-soft.  The Moshi Clarus, and the Vortex Pro. 

However, the Etymotic EtyKids is a prime example that not all the companies have walked away from the anemic sounds of analytics. 

To answer the OP the RE0 is still a worth-while buy at 80 bucks, although the competitions catching up, they tend to have a different signature.  If you want analytic sound for under 100, RE0 or EtyKids...  The only reason why I wouldn't recommend the RE0 is the build quality as mine died out on me after 2 months of use.  It's been over a year now, so I'm not sending them in (I didn't want to send them in before :p).  Still a great sounding IEM. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back