now cant decide tv or pc monitor
Jul 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 53
Buy both, a Pioneer 60" Kuro for movies, and a LCD PC monitor for your computer. LCD's do not display video as well as a plasma, and a plasma will get screenburn with the windows taskbar and icons. A 32" 1080p LCD will be fine as a PC monitor.

Don't buy Samsung. Really.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #17 of 53
unless you really need the crazy resolutions pc monitors offer (real gaming or graphics programs) a standard 720p 32inch lcd is more the enough for common computer needs..

after using my 32 Vizio as mine i can guarantee you i will never go back to a overpriced and tiny pc monitor again...screw that thats what i have my netbook for..tiny screen

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 53
Depends on what you do more. A TV is not a good monitor, you'll end up having to sit further due to the smaller pixel density of the television. You won't be able to have your keyboard and mouse one the same table as the TV unless you want to screw up your eyes by sitting close. Don't buy a plasma if you plan to connect it to a computer since stationary images will burn into your plasma screen (ie. your desktop).

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is that a $500 IPS Monitor will smoke any equivalently priced television in terms of performance but it depends entirely on your application and how far you would be sitting.

Example: HP LP2475w. I have yet to see a flat panel LCD of any type that matches it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Example: HP LP2475w. I have yet to see a flat panel LCD of any type that matches it.

+1

Or an NEC if you have really deep pockets
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

i decided to put the tv on hold for a bit now seeing as i cant decide on either plasma or lcd evem

so im now getting a monitor first, has to be at least 1920x1200, used to it on my 17inch laptop

i was looking at HP model you suggested but im leaning more towards dells 2408wfp, meh, reviews are inconsistant

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #24 of 53
I own the LP2475w and have seen the 2408WFP (ISU has a lab full of them). The Dell uses a different panel type and so behaves differently. One thing I did notice about the Dell is that if I look at one side of the screen text on the other end in my peripheral vision gets an annoying red/blue halo. It could have something to do with my glasses but I've never experienced this with the HP. The Dell also experiences color shifting. This is an effect where colors viewed from the sides are not the same as what you'll see straight on. I tend to sit at odd angles to the display so this was a major contributor to my decision to get the HP.

Some reviews point out that a number of HPs have a slight pinkish tint on part of the panel- I had this issue myself but it's fading with time. It took about 500 or so hours for the pink gradient to become negligible. YMMV.

As always I can't stress the importance of proper calibration for these displays enough. I have a Spyder2 Express ($60)- I was skeptical at first but ended up questioning how I ever did without it.

Edit: I also thought I'd mention that you'll want to set your display brightness to about 120 cd/m^2 for the best picture. On my HP this is 19/100.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 53
yeah from those reviews calibration seemed to make a big difference,

so youve seen both, thats quite a luxury

for some reason [on paper] i quite like the dell [the 2709W also takes my fancy at only £60 more for 3 inches more space]

so i ot 3 to choose from it looks

the 24 dell
the 27 dell
the 24 HP

how wide an angle before the dell gets that halo?
id be grateful if you could give me a longer opinion/mini review, obviously you felt the HP was better

the dells construction looks alot nicer too,

PRAD | Review Dell 2709W

thanks very much for you're input!

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 53
MCC, sounds like TN where at angles the gamma changes. I notice it too, but would only be annoying for movies and photo editting. For windows and gaming it doesn't matter.

al4x, pretty much plasma is the best choice for a TV, as long as you don't game or want to use it as a pc monitor. If you do have consoles then buy a LCD TV. Plasma edges over LCD but if you're not fussy a LCD can be very good but they need more time calibrating. I hardly needed to tweak my Pioneer LX-5090 but I spent hours on the LCD.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't buy Samsung. Really.

Are you serious? Samsung makes pretty nice LCD's. As for newer plasmas, they are less prone to burn in than the initial iterations, but it is still a problem to have an image on screen for too long a time. Kuro's are very nice, but discontinued. I've heard the Panasonic G10's are as close to Kuro as you can get nowadays.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had Samsung LCD's, never again.

Model no. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back