Nougat: Musicality: HD600 vs. K501
May 24, 2002 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 21
I think that this is serious. Whoever did it, just don't do it again!

Moderators are given some freedom to edit the forums to make them better, not to manipulate them. I will PM Jude and ask him to take measures.

May 24, 2002 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

I think it means different things for different people.

That's actually my point. Maybe that is a discussion that can be flushed out a bit here? I don't really expect a single definition. More like alot of interpretations of this term. Any takers?

May 24, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
What does "musical" mean?

i think when people generally describe something that's 'musical,' they mean

1. great bass (i.e., not thin),
2. warm mids, and
3. smooth highs.

i mean, cardas cables are usually described as musical -- and they have a pretty 'warm' sound. also, vandersteen speakers are described as musical and they sound 'warm' and 'full.'

musical means a sound that makes you want to get up and move . . .

May 24, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 21
Interesting.

When I read the term "musical", I don't think of "warm" being associated with it. I do think of "movement", or "livelyness" though. The term "sweetness" across the frequency spectrum comes to mind too. I also seem to get a mental image of a horn or brass section, too. That is usually more "bright" to me rather than warm. But that also seems to refer to a type of music being played also.

Hmmm...does the term "musical" refer to ALL types of music?

May 24, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
What does "musical" mean?
confused.gif

It means that what comes out sounds like music. Musical also means colored when some people cannot accept that the recording is less than ideal, then the headphone is too analytical and not musical. My car radio sounds musical but is not good at resolving all the low level detail on the recording being played. Lousy speakers at a high school prom are musical because everyone is dancing and feeling it. I own horrible sounding records that are very musical and brilliantly produced/engineered ones that are not musical. It's all in the perception and interpretation.

May 24, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 21
I would say "musical" used to evaluate audio equipment means that the equipment allows you to enjoy the music presented with a minimum of distractions from the artifacts introduced (inevitably) by the reproduction of the music. It implies to me that there is little distortion so that everything comes across as lively and involving and a good deal of extension at both ends of the audio spectrum so that you can hear everything.

Beagle has a point, however. If recordings are defective, for example, too bright, then equipment with a high frequency deficiency could be called more "musical." The recordings may force a choice between accurate and pleasing presentation. Oh, dear, another muddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back