Noticing an Issue with my EF2A
Aug 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stewie1897

New Head-Fier
I have had my EF2A for about 2 weeks now and I have started to notice a problem. Every once in a while (2-6 hours) a very loud static noise starts and all other sound goes out. I have tested my headphones and they seem to be fine. I have left the EF2A on for 3 days straight once and I'm wondering of that's the problem. I have heard I may have bad tubes in it or that my unit may be broken altogether. I have tried other usb ports and even other computers and it keeps making the sound. Has this ever happened to you and if so how did you fix it?

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 3
There are a few things that you might consider trying.  Does your amp have enough free air space around it, so heat won't be an issue?  I've also read about the pins on tubes getting oxidized over time.  Though, I suspect the result would be more of a sound degradation and not necessarily the sound that you've described.  However, it still might be worth investing some bucks (about $15.00) in a can of Caigs DeOxit, to clean the tube pins of any potential oxidation.  You can find DeOxit at local Guitar Center stores, or even Radio Shack stores.

Give that a try and see how it works out.  Just unplug your amp, remove the tubes - carefully, and then lay them down on some paper towels. Spray a few shots of DeOxit on the pins and allow it time to appropriately dissipate and evaporate.  I'm sure within 30 minutes, the tubes should be ready to place back into the sockets and give things a whirl.  I'm not sure if there are any benefits to spraying the sockets that the tubes plug into.  Possibly, another tube owner might be able to shed some light onto any benefits in that area.  However, if you did spray DeOxit into the sockets, I'd give it more time to dry and perform its magic.  I'd wait a good couple of hours before reinstalling the tubes and trying it out.

Best of luck !

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I have had my EF2A for about 2 weeks now and I have started to notice a problem. Every once in a while (2-6 hours) a very loud static noise starts and all other sound goes out. I have tested my headphones and they seem to be fine. I have left the EF2A on for 3 days straight once and I'm wondering of that's the problem. I have heard I may have bad tubes in it or that my unit may be broken altogether. I have tried other usb ports and even other computers and it keeps making the sound. Has this ever happened to you and if so how did you fix it?

Try reseating the Op-Amps, if it has them. If its a tube amp? do the same, or buy new tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back