Noticeable decerase in audio quality using 3.5mm Y splitter?
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

area5x1

New Head-Fier
Let's say I'm using a USB recording interface that unfortunately only has 1 output jack in the back, and speakers are required to be plugged into that one jack or else I get no sound from my soundcard, forcing me to combine my sub and the monitors' 3.5mm connections into a Y splitter which plugs into the USB recording interface. Would this result in a noticeable drop in sound quality than if I didn't use a Y splitter? And if so, how much is the difference?

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Technically there probably is, but I doubt it's much. Personally I highly doubt I would be able to tell. I'd just pick one up and listen both ways. Even if it does sound worse, is it still good enough to warrant the fact that it's much more convenient?

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Why not try it and see if you can tell a difference
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Unless you go out of your way to buy the cheapest adapter possible you shouldn't notice much if any sound degradation. Other equipment depending, of course.
tongue.gif

You can buy an Audioquest adapter for $15 online which is pretty decent. Even a $5 Radioshack Gold Series adapter will work fine for most people. I wouldn't go any cheaper than that tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back