Note 10 plus official sound quality thread
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 25
The sound with Dolby atmos enabled is plenty good for non-hifi listening. I would think a dragonfly or similar would make it damn good. Hugo 2 reserved for serious listening with NOte10+

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #17 of 25
This DAC is in the cord apparently. Also, dont like how UAPP doesnt cover the notification bar anymore

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #19 of 25
There is no DAC (digital to analogue converter) inside the Note 10/+
The DAC is inside the USB-C earphones you get inside the box or the USB-C to 3.5mm dongle you can buy.
Are u sure its not a USB passthrough? There are 2 types of dongles. One pass the audio via the USB port , the other sends digital signals to the DAC inside the adapter. Did anyone try connecting this adapter on a PC to test it?

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 25
At first, I was really mad about this. But then I realized, customers have a huge variance in expectation on sound, and the cost and size of adding decent on-phone DAC and amp is non-trivial. Many customers will be plenty happy with low-to-medium quality BT (SBC, ACC). Others will want high quality DAC and amp, so why not leave it off board and not make us pay twice for DAC+amp.

One can argue that a Note 10 is a flagship phone from a flagship brand, and can probably afford to put decent DAC and amp on the device; after all, they did so on all previous Notes. But even flagships have price targets, and if there is a trade-off between spending more money on a screen, cpu, memory vs audio, I can understand why they skipped audio.

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 25
I tried connecting the official type C dongle from Samsung on a PC and it runs much louder than from the phone. But phone sounds cleaner. I think the phone limits maximum power to play light on the phones battery. Same with the VE odessey dac. It also is noticeably less louder on the Note 10. But less louder than previous s8. The sound profile is like ODAC, but with less power.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 25
Right now I'm connecting my Chord Hugo2 audio DAC to my Note10+ directly via usb-c to micro-b cable and using various music apps to play music. The chain is like this: Phone --> USBC to microb cable--> hugo2 --> headphones Will I be able connect my DAC to my portable dex setup as well? I was considering a few possibilities:

1. USB c splitter: one end goes to the portable monitor the other to the DAC

2. Phone --> monitor--> hugo2. In this case the phone will connect to the monitor as normal, the audio data will transfer through the monitor to the Hugo2 and then to my headphones.

3. DeX station: it looks like the station has several outputs, would Ik be able to connect one of these to the DAC?

4. Monitor out via some other port to hugo2? Bear in mind I will need 1 USBc port for connecting the phone to the monitor and also another port for charging the monitor via portable battery pack, so if it is going to be some other port outputting the data to hugo2 then the monitor may have to have 3 ports.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 25
According to reviews the colbat is a big upgrade. I have a S10 with an actual headphone jack. It can run my M560 planars louder then m LG V35 (low impedance mode). The sound quality is actually pretty good. MQA is supported with UAPP.

The Note most likely would have used the same setup if it had an audio jack. M

Like everyone here has stated: The Note 10 has no headphone out so you are at the mercy of whatever USB C dongle/DAC you use. I'm pretty sure it has no analog passthrough from what I have read.

There are more choices in dongles now so if you go that route do your homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back