Not your typical quesiton thread...
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CybrSlydr

New Head-Fier
My MP3 player died.
frown.gif
Sad, I know - so I've been without a portable music player for longer than I'd like.

Then my cell phone died.
frown.gif
When it rains, it pours, eh?

So... I've combined the two.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been against this kind of thing for quite some time as 99% of the time, specialized things do a lot better than combo/convinience things.

I got a Motorola Krzr K1. Now, I've been looking for some good stereo bluetooth headphones and have been disappointed with reviews.

Then I read a review on these Blue Ant X5 - and the reviewer mentioned they're nowhere near as good as his super.fi's, but they didn't cost nearly as much.

So, I googled "super.fi" and found their website - and then looked for some reviews on Google and found this website. I'm glad I did!

What I want are the best sounding headphones - I don't want to skimp on quality. Now, I know that my phone will be the bottleneck in quality (or I assume it will be), so it's entirely possible that getting these kind of headphones will be next to pointless.

That's why I'm here - I want to know if you guys/gals feel that getting some UE's would be overkill for a Krzr (interface problems aside).

I figure what type of music I'll be listening to would be helpful - I LOVE Tool, have Metallica, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, StarWars, etc. on my phone - I hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for your input!

EDIT: I should mention that my budget isn't endless - so UE Custom 11's are waaaay outta my range. lol

I'm thinking like $150, MABYE $200.

Also - The Super.Fi 5 Pro are the ones I'm looking into.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 12
those earbuds are "cheap enough" (by some standards) to justify getting even with such a limited source id say. without a doubt, your KRzr WILL create some limitations on the full potential of the UEs, but at the same time, id say without a doubt the UEs would sound significantly better than whatever stock earbuds you currently use with it. id say go for it, WORST comes to worst you can get a better source down the line, or even just sell off the earbuds if you really dont like them - they should sell pretty quick on the forums either way

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Sadly, I have yet to see the words 'good bluetooth headphones' used together in the same sentence, or at least while the author of said sentence kept a straight face.

Whatever you end up deciding upon, make sure your MP3s are at a bitrate of 192kbps or better, otherwise you might as well just grab a pair of JVC Marshmallows and call it a day.

Based on your music preferences, and assuming your MP3s are at 192kbps or higher, then I would say that a used pair of Westone UM2s would be winners, and the SUper.Fis you are considering would be a good pick as well (look into the 'EB's if you are into lots of Bass).

If isolation is not a priority, then perhaps a pair of Yuin PK2s would work out wonderfully as well.

Are you dead set against non-iem headphones for portable use?

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 12
You say a $150 budget, hmm why not just get a really good MP3 + headphones? Your cell will never sound good, trust me. I have a sanyo MM9000 (one of the best cell phones ever made) and well its got above average sound quality for a cell phone, but the sound of mp3s just suck from it. I mean $20 mp3 > MM9000 sucky!!!

Meizu M6 4Gb DAP $99 @ newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855625003
Koss KSC75 $20 @ radioshack, = $120 = music/movie heaven + very reasonable price.
This way you can get the super.fi 5 pro's down the road.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the input folks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now, I'm only using the OEM single ear-piece headset that came with my package. lol I have an OEM Motorola mini-USB to 3.5mm jack converter coming (bought it off Amazon - for a penny. LMAO Even more lol when I see that the shipping was $5.99...
biggrin.gif
). I've mostly been listening through the Krzr's speaker.

I agree with the "good bluetooth headset" statement as well - hence why I was looking into some good buds or something. Just the cords... But, you can't expect cord-sound from Bluetooth.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Cardo S-2 were my current choice as even Cnet gave 'em an 8.0. I didn't know bitrate was going to be that important with these buds - I have probably 30% 192, 70% 128. I still have the CDs, so I can always re-rip at a higher bitrate.

I'd been looking at some of the UM2s, E500s and the Super.Fi 5 Pros on eBay (yikes... lol). Also, I was tempted by the Super.Fi 5 EB's as they're cheaper, but many people on here say they have too much bass - I love bass just as much as the next person, but I don't want the middles and highs to be muddled by the bass. I hate distortion as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mostly I hadn't picked up an MP3 player becase... Well, the phone came with a 1GB microSD and I figured why not use it? I ride public transportation and walk a lot, so the less I have to carry with me, the better. I always have my phone with me, this way I'll also always have my music with me as well.

However, that Meizu M6 looks like a really good deal... Thanks for the suggestion - I'm gonna go look into that!

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, I got my Mini USB to 3.5mm converter today and I'm rather impressed with the sound I'm getting from it on my Sony MDR-G57's!

Sounds even better than my last 2 MP3 players actually.

I might just stick with them rather than fork out the $$$ for some IEMs.

Unless the IEMs are an order of magnitude better-sounding than the headphones I have now.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, I have yet to see the words 'good bluetooth headphones' used together in the same sentence, or at least while the author of said sentence kept a straight face.

One of the few things that comes close might be the ety 8 but it still probably isnt that good for its price you would be better getting a er4 or e4 or um2 and dealing with it

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Etymotic has some good Bluetooth earphones that supposedly sound about as good as the ER-4, but they're a bit ugly and a bit over your stated budget. Since bluetooth is a digital method of transmission, your phone would have very little to do with the sound quality you'd be getting from your earphones. This is what I would go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back