Not sure what's causing my problem.. thinking the DAC
Sep 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

orion11

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a shanling PH1000  and a hi-fi digital audio Super Pro Dac. It is connected with tributary interconnects and they power my HD 600's. It has all been working just fine until about a month ago. The dac has two lights on them called Power on which lights up, and a light above that called Normal. That Normal light is not on anymore, and when it does come on, it produces sound. Unfortunately now the only way to make that light come on is to bang on the dac or to twist the power jack going into it til it happens to work. How can I fix this? My headphones only produce static now because of this dac (I think). Here are a few pics, but don't know if this will help in diagnosing the problem. If there's anything I can tell you, let me know and I'll reply. Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/img00033201209292158.jpg/

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Given that you get sound back once you fiddle with the DAC, it seems like that is the culprit.

However, try feeding your amp from another source (iPod, CD player etc.) and just verify that everything in that part of the chain behaves normally.  Likewise it's not a bad idea to switch out the cables just to make sure the problem isn't there.  I once spent weeks looking for a flaw in an expensive signal detection electronics... only to find that the problem was a bad cable.

If everything is peachy , then you've narrowed it down to the DAC.  At that point I'd contact the manufacturer or dealer and ask for help.  Are you still under warranty?

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Its probably not still under warranty, i've had this system for about 4 years. But I will check the amp, but I'm pretty sure it's the dac, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's got faulty wiring or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back