Not sure what headphones to buy?
Aug 13, 2013 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

StrayaMate

New Head-Fier
Hey,

Wondering what headphones to get that have all-round good sound quality, and decent bass, as an upgrade to my sennheiser hd 202's? I was looking at the sennheiser hd 558's, but also listened to one of my mate's beats mixr's that he just bought and I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought it had pretty reasonable sound quality (it was a bit harsh though), but I'm still not to sure what to get as I heard that the sennheiser 558's dont have a great bass. I listen mostly to pop and rap/hip hop.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 15
Hello!

The Sennheiser HD5xx will not have enough bass for basshead for it is an open ended headphone! Try looking into closed headphone! The best I known under $200 would be UE6000

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 15
M-Audio Q40 is a good basshead headphone from what i read, never listened to it though. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 15
M-Audio Q40 is a good basshead headphone from what i read, never listened to it though. 

The Q40 is a beast for bass heavy music, IMO the best value headphone out there.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Wondering what headphones to get that have all-round good sound quality, and decent bass, as an upgrade to my Sennheiser HD 202's? I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 558's, but also listened to one of my mate's beats mixr's that he just bought and I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought it had pretty reasonable sound quality (it was a bit harsh though), but I'm still not to sure what to get as I heard that the Sennheiser 558's don't have a great bass. I listen mostly to pop and rap/hip hop.

Did you have a budget for the new headphones?

The HD558s do not have a strong bass, more like just enough bass to say it has decent bass.
But the HD558s do sometimes sell used (Amazon or eBay) for just over $100.

What source(s) do you plug headphones into?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 15
My budget is anywhere between 200-350. I'm not asking for a super strong bass, but at least a reasonable one, and all round decent sound quality. Not too fussed about design, but it's always a bonus.

Edit: I usually just plug my headphones straight into my iPod or phone.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 15
My budget is anywhere between 200-350. I'm not asking for a super strong bass, but at least a reasonable one, and all round decent sound quality. Not too fussed about design, but it's always a bonus.

Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear will do!!

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Akg K550 is also a contender! Buy on for around $200 on eBay then put the extra $50 into a used Fiio E11 and LOD in case you feel you want more bass sometimes with them. my Jds C5 has a nice 80hrz Bass Boost, and it makes the K550 really nice for EDM! 

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Akg K550 is also a contender! Buy on for around $200 on eBay then put the extra $50 into a used Fiio E11 and LOD in case you feel you want more bass sometimes with them. my Jds C5 has a nice 80hrz Bass Boost, and it makes the K550 really nice for EDM! 

Yeah, I was listening to a pair down at jb hi fi recently, and they sounded pretty good. They're definitely on my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

That's also a good idea, just turn the Bass EQ to MAX xD to theory, it should work and the AKG K550 drivers are pretty strong so shouldn't cause much distortion XD

Billson :)

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
That's also a good idea, just turn the Bass EQ to MAX xD to theory, it should work and the AKG K550 drivers are pretty strong so shouldn't cause much distortion XD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Also a good plan, also Binson I did have to bend my akg headband like 1/4 inch, took me like 2 seconds [as opposed to my w1000x taking like a week to get those things to bend] That extra little bend gave the Sub bass a tiny boost [which honestly I eq all my EDM regardless of the headphone] and to be honest I did not eq any sub bass in, still the bend has not made it sound any worse, just bumped the bass up maybe like +1 [nothing major and I'm sure with about a weeks time it will revert back to nrml and I won't even notice] And I'm using them with my oDac and non Bass Boosting Matrix

Still there is also the Ath a900x, which has more bass than the K550 [although it's not as TIGHT] and ofc I just happen to be selling a pair [UNLESS YOU LIVE IN FLIPPIN Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei  just kidding Billson]

So the Ath a900x might work too, it's price is wonky. Sometimes it's dirt cheap other times it's as much as a Akg K550 

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 15
Also a good plan, also Binson I did have to bend my akg headband like 1/4 inch, took me like 2 seconds [as opposed to my w1000x taking like a week to get those things to bend] That extra little bend gave the Sub bass a tiny boost [which honestly I eq all my EDM regardless of the headphone] and to be honest I did not eq any sub bass in, still the bend has not made it sound any worse, just bumped the bass up maybe like +1 [nothing major and I'm sure with about a weeks time it will revert back to nrml and I won't even notice] And I'm using them with my oDac and non Bass Boosting Matrix

Still there is also the Ath a900x, which has more bass than the K550 [although it's not as TIGHT] and ofc I just happen to be selling a pair [UNLESS YOU LIVE IN FLIPPIN Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei  
just kidding Billson]

So the Ath a900x might work too, it's price is wonky. Sometimes it's dirt cheap other times it's as much as a Akg K550 

HAHAHAHAH yeah, it's a bit too far xD but for the price you are offering, the OP may find it interesting if at all the OP does not like the AKG K550

Billson xD

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
HAHAHAHAH yeah, it's a bit too far xD but for the price you are offering, the OP may find it interesting if at all the OP does not like the AKG K550

Billson xD

Indeed

Akg K550 and Ath a900x both great options, the AKG K550 is a littler more refined in it's bass, where as the Ath a900x will be more fun., meaning the mids are a little forward the bass a little heavier [not as deep] and the treble slighty brightened. 

And honestly with Rap [I enjoy some Hydeout Productions tunes from time to time] The fun sound might be good. I really enjoy my w1000x with Nu Jazz and hip hop. The extra bump of bass in the ATH X series of headphones is nice, the Akg K550 isn't BAD by any means. But I can dig a little loose bass for the mellow laid back genres. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back