Not sure what cables to get.
Oct 24, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
Ctn,
Have you done any comparisons of the solid core house wire that you are using vs. say zip cord or cheap speaker wire? If so, what differences did you find?
Thanks
280smile.gif

I havent used zip cord (what is it anyway?) but the solid core building wire is comparable to the more exotic cables. It's a fair bit better than cheap speaker wire (supra brand multi-stranded). This is from memory so it might be totally accurate. I find with the lower gauge (thicker) solid core wire, the sound is far more controlled, has a faster sound and had more dynamics. Try it out for yourself.

Oct 24, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
I havent used zip cord (what is it anyway?)

It is basically the cheap stranded speaker cable.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
I find with the lower gauge (thicker) solid core wire, the sound is far more controlled, has a faster sound and had more dynamics. Try it out for yourself.

You have convinced me. I will construct some cables and compare it to my 10-gauge stranded copper cables. This is a really cheap project: $35 for 250 feet of 12-gauge Romex at the local Home Depot plus the cost of four banana plugs.

Can anyone recommend a cheap source for gold plated non-solder (dual or single) banana plugs? I use banana plugs frequently so buying bulk is not a problem.

thanks
280smile.gif

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson

Can anyone recommend a cheap source for gold plated non-solder (dual or single) banana plugs? I use banana plugs frequently so buying bulk is not a problem.

I dont use any "plugs" I use soldered bare wire connections. I cut abit off each end every few months or so. Non solder banana plugs are hopeless. If you are going to use plugs, use soldered spades.

Solid core wire is very stiff and chunky (think garden hose thick) its hard to work with. That is the bad thing.

Oct 24, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 20
You can get four of the monster or AR ones that sells on best buys, for very cheap, are pretty good, BTW the megacable from ratshack is very cheap and extremelly good, the solid core is very hard to work with, or get some Canare speaker cable in bulk, it will be cheap enough.....but if you are going to use electric cable why not save to the limit, twist it around the terminals instead of spades or bananas it should be thick enough for that, is just for a try right?

Oct 25, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #20 of 20
Today I found a couple 500 foot spools of 10 gauge eletrical wire I just put some in.

WOW! It is much better than I had expected. I brings out a lot of detail in the music. But it is a b*tch to work with. That stuff is so hard to make it stay in the right places.

Thanks for the inexpensive suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back